RCCL Quantum of the Seas vs NCL Gem

As a high school graduation gift, my grandpa is taking me on a cruise the first week of January of my choice. Since he cannot fly, that limits my options very heavily. I think I have narrowed it down between the 8-day on the Quantum with an overnight in San Juan and a day in Labadee and the 10-day on NCL Gem with port days in Tortola, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and San Juan. I will be just shy of 19 yo at the time of cruising. The Quantum is brand new and an incredible ship, but the ports aren't the best and there are very few port days. The Gem is smaller and older with much less to offer than the Quantum ship wise, yet the ports are great. I'm really struggling with which cruise to choose! If anyone could offer any insight, that would be awesome!!! Thanks!

I would do the QOTS hands down, but that's just because I'm really excited about that ship. I'm a ship person more than a port person. That said, if you've never been to Tortola, it's my favorite island in the Caribbean (of those I've visited). I've never stopped there on a cruise though, so not sure what that would be like. It's a tough decision you are lucky enough to get to make!

Edited - wait, are those the only 4 ports on that 10 day Gem cruise? If so, that's a lot of sea time for a ship that might not have a lot to offer someone your age.

Edited by LrgPizza

As a high school graduation gift, my grandpa is taking me on a cruise the first week of January of my choice. Since he cannot fly, that limits my options very heavily. I think I have narrowed it down between the 8-day on the Quantum with an overnight in San Juan and a day in Labadee and the 10-day on NCL Gem with port days in Tortola, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and San Juan. I will be just shy of 19 yo at the time of cruising. The Quantum is brand new and an incredible ship, but the ports aren't the best and there are very few port days. The Gem is smaller and older with much less to offer than the Quantum ship wise, yet the ports are great. I'm really struggling with which cruise to choose! If anyone could offer any insight, that would be awesome!!! Thanks!

QOTS - hands down. No way you could possibly get bored on that ship. I'd take those ports for that ship anyday over the Gem.

I love NCL, and normally would say take the longer cruise, but in this case I would jump all over QOTS.

The excitement of not just a new ship, but a new class of ship, would win for me over the older Gem.

Plus, I agree with a previous poster that only 4 port stops in 10 days may leave you wishing for something to do, as there aren't as many entertainment options and activities on the Gem as there are on Epic, Getaway, or Breakaway.

Have you considered the Breakaway? I'm sure there would be more to keep a person your age entertained on that ship. If it must be between the Gem (which we will be sailing on next May) and Quantum, I would go with Quantum.

Have you considered the Breakaway? I'm sure there would be more to keep a person your age entertained on that ship. If it must be between the Gem (which we will be sailing on next May) and Quantum, I would go with Quantum.

Are you just trying to keep him with NCL or something? I'd take QOTS over Breakaway, too.