Upgrade from balcony to ocean suite opinion

pearle1

Hello all - I am booked on carnival pride next month balcony cabin on deck 6 and just received a call from carnival offering me an upgrade to a balcony ocean suite on the same deck - I though wow, lucky me, but then they said there was a cost of $680.00 more total for 2 people. I would still get to keep my $252.00 OBC .(from previous price drops/early saver)

She said this is a good deal since it is an ocean suite, and I would still get to keep my OBC.

Experienced cruisers - I am looking for your thoughts/opinions on this !

Thanks very much!

I have come to my senses and have decided that $680.00 is just too much money for the 2 of us when I already have a nice balony room at a decent price. Even with the OBC, I still think the $680.00 seems high, but I wasn't sure since I have not been on a lot of cruises.

The idea of the bigger suite, the whirlpool tub, larger balcony, etc sounded nice, and the lady from carnival sold it well too, saying most people jump at that chance when they receive the call from the "upgrade fairy" ~ so , I am sure someone else will take it!

I have come to my senses and have decided that $680.00 is just too much money for the 2 of us when I already have a nice balony room at a decent price. Even with the OBC, I still think the $680.00 seems high, but I wasn't sure since I have not been on a lot of cruises.

The idea of the bigger suite, the whirlpool tub, larger balcony, etc sounded nice, and the lady from carnival sold it well too, saying most people jump at that chance when they receive the call from the "upgrade fairy" ~ so , I am sure someone else will take it!

She wasn't the "Upgrade Fairy" she was the "Upsell Fairy". There is a difference, lol.

katems ~ No, I am not sailing on the 13th ~ although I wanted that sailing initially, but could not make it work out with my work schedule ~ so, I am sailing when you get back! On the 20th!

Hope you have a great cruise! :)

Have you seen the suites? It's not that much more room. I'd never get a suite, once my daughters older ill get 2 rooms before I get a suite

OS is 1.5 SQ feet of a traditional balcony and a GS is two traditional balcony cabins. I've stayed in all three and anyone who tells you 'they're not much different' has a different view on things than I do...

upsell prices are misleading because they're based on the price a person paid for a cabin. is 680 more a lot, sure...if the OP got a great deal on the cruise maybe adding 680 may not be such a bad deal.

jiggs ~ I am glad you posted your thoughts on this because I wondered how they come up with what they charge.

I am the OP, and to me $680.00 seems like a lot, BUT with that said ~ I actually did get a very good deal on the 8D that I am in now, and I also got $250.00 in OBC (due to price drops and early saver).

What you said makes sense ~ thanks for your perspective/insight on it!

It is too late for me to go back since I declined it, and I am still very happy with my current location. (and it is only 2 of us ~ myself and my 13 year old daughter)

Thanks again!

The price is good, compared to what suites usually cost but still depends on how much you value a bigger cabin. In May we turned down a GS for $700 more than our BC. The total price was unbelievably good, but $700 is nearly half way to booking another cruise. I would rather save the money and take a second cruise than to have a bigger room.

For our upcoming cruise on the Conquest we upgraded from a lido deck balcony cabin to an ocean suite (our first one). We sail on Sunday and last week my DW noticed that there were quite a few suites left so I figured we'd get the upsell call and sure enough, last Friday we got the call! They wanted to upsell us and the other couple that we are going with for 2 suites right beside each other for $579.00 per couple! :eek: We countered at $300 per couple and were told that they couldn't go that low so we kindly declined. Two days later the same Carnival rep called and tried to sell us the same deal for $502 per couple. We again stated that we would do $300 so she said that she may be able to do $350 but she'd have to call us back. 15 minutes later she called back and came at $378 per couple and we accepted!

If you are willing to upgrade, have a figure in mind and try to stick to it. We did go above our "bottomline" but we figured it wasn't too much and we really wanted to try a suite at least once!

Enjoy your cruise. A balcony room is nice regardless of whether it's a suite or not. Actually, when you're on a cruise, ANY room is nice! :D

Edited by vacruisin

Have you seen the suites? It's not that much more room. I'd never get a suite, once my daughters older ill get 2 rooms before I get a suite

"It's not that much more room" is a subjective statement and isn't true for everyone. For instance, I disagree. I've stayed in regular Balcony, Extended Balcony, and Ocean Suites - all on Carnival Pride. There is quite a bit more room in an OS and the bathroom is much bigger and better, so is the balcony. There's a lot more storage room in a suite, as well. These things are sometimes worth more to some people. Not all cabin types appeal to all people. Obviously, OS's don't appeal to you, but they do to some of us.

OP, as for your offer from the Upsell Fairy - I would not have taken it, either. I have taken two upsells to OS's on Pride before, but at much better delas than that. But, this is also subjective - a good deal to one may not be to another, and so on.:o