RCCL Stingray City Tours

Patty in NC

Hi!

The RCCL website lists 3 different Stingray City snorkeling excursions. They are slightly different in price and length but they all say the same thing. Does anyone know the difference between these 3 tours:

Stingray City Snorkeling ($45 and 2 hours, 30 minutes)

Stingray City Adventure ($48 and 2 hours, 30 minutes)

Stingray Ctiy Swim and Snorkel ($45 and 3 hours)

I seem to recall that one of them actually goes to 2 different snorkeling places but the descriptions don't say that.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Patty

Most people on cruisecritic do not go thru the ship to do their stingray city trips. They make their own arrangements. There are a number of private operators that go to stingray city. They usually cost less and are less crowded than the ship's tour.

Don't know the difference between those. Often there will be more than one operator under contract, so that could be one difference.

Also, there is Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar. The cruise ships and even the tour operators are forever mixing them up. Stingray City is really a shallow dive location or can be snorkeled, but is about 12 ft deep - can't stand there.

Stingray Sandbar is where most of the snorkel tours go, even though they often call it Stingray City.

Rays and Reef tour would stop at the sandbar and a snorkel location not far from the sandbar.

If that isn't enough, I see Cockatoo listed, which is a catamaran cruise to the sandbar. I did that one through a different cruise line and really enjoyed it. No extra snorkel with that one, but was quite enjoyable.

As for private operators, I've gone with Soto's and Nativeway. If I had to pick, think I would give the edge to Soto's.

Archived