How soon do cove balcony's sell out?

We are taking a cruise on the carnival dream next September 2015, its a long ways out but we planned to book it around tax time, February 2015 but I am noticing that cove balcony's are super popular and that's what we want to book so we're thinking about booking it sooner, maybe 1 year from the cruise, booking September 2014. On average, how soon do these type of rooms sell out? I was just looking at cruises taking off in Jan through Sept 2015, and cove's are not showing available until March 2015, so that's 9 months out. I didn't think Sept was a popular time to cruise but it looks like its some of the most reasonable rates so actually large and premium balcony's are already showing unavailable for Sept 2015!! Cove's are still showing available but cruises taking off in March-June 2015 are showing available in large and premium balcony's, we don't want this kind but thought it was odd to be showing unavailable 15 months in advance for those types of balcony's but available months before then. So is a year in advance usually enough? That's really the soonest we could afford to swing the $1000 deposit since we just booked a cruise in Feb.

What's critical (at least to me) is making sure you don't get a Cove cabin under the Galley because it's so noisy.

Also, how many people are going? There are frequently specials where the deposit is $50 per person.

Edited by 63galaxie

In fact no one can say for sure when all the cove will be gone. There is just no way to predict how popular a cruise will be. Summer is busier than say October, the two weeks before Christmas is less busy than Christmas and New Years. Spring Break varies by school but March seems to be when most schools are off. If you want to get a good stateroom book early. As posted above check the deck plans. Under the galley is not where you want to book. Personal preference is under shore excursions desk area.

Just checked on my cruise, which is 6.5 months away, and Cove balconies are sold out. I'd keep in mind what 63galaxie said. They do those specials every now and then with only $50pp deposits, and you can guarantee yourself a Cove without having to fork over a lot of cash right now.

When I booked our Sept 2014 cruise on the Dream in May there were no Cove Balconies available. Then a couple of weeks later there were several available and now none again. If they sell out, keep watching, someone may up-sell or cancel. I also think there are travel companies that reserve blocks of rooms and return them at various times. I know that happens with hotel rooms.

Edited by Miller_KC

Thanks everyone, we really want a cove to be close to the water, I will watch out for ones below the galley. Wow, yeah, those of you who are taking Jan 2015 cruises are already showing sold out for coves, thats my concern. We are still a whopping 15 months out from this cruise and we just booked a Feb cruise and had to pay a $600 deposit for that so we definitely cannot afford to put down the $1,000 deposit for that one for a few more months unless I come across one of those $50 deposit specials. How often do those $50 deposits happen? I googled it and seen one happened in January. While I heard Sept is an off time of the year, my son has a week off from school in Sept and thats when we're taking this cruise so no possibility for change in dates for us, has to be that particular week and I notice that week is one of the cheapest rates, its a sun-sun cruise, maybe thats why it will end up being popular, due to its low rates. Hoping that I see a $50 deposit special soon or that their are still some coves left a year away from the cruise when we plan to book in Sept 2014.

Last year we cruised twice on the Breeze and had coves on both cruises. We only booked a couple months out. There was plenty coves to choose from on those 2 cruises. One was in May and one in Sept. And lately I've been looking again and there is always plenty coves available. But you are asking about the Dream and it may be different on that ship.

Yeah currently their are coves available starting March 2015 and up, but we won't be booking for another 3 months so I am hoping there is still plenty to choose from for a Sept 2015 cruise at that time. If worse comes to worse we'll have to go to a regular balcony and pay a little more but I really wanted to try a cove for the first time.

What is the benefit of a cove balcony vs. a regular balcony room?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forums mobile app

Cost savings is a nice benefit, but the privacy of an enclosed balcony is wonderful as well as being near all the action. Coves are on the levels below the lifeboats, so you are close to the water and to the folks coming off and on the ship. Great place to watch the runners! You are also close to the Lobby Deck and the restaurants.