Dinner wear for guys

What is considered casual for men to wear in the dinning room? On formal night what would be doable without wearing a suit? Thanx!!!:o

Carnival says:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

You will hear a lot of different opinions, plus a few people will give you a list of Carnival's dress code. In actuality, some people are dressed up, others look like they are going to a baseball game. DH usually wears khaki's and a polo shirt or other collared shirt and occassionally jeans. On elegant night I usually have him wear dress slacks, tie and dress shirt. If we are going to the steakhouse then I might pack his suit. But we have seen people dressed in jeans and t-shirt at the steakhouse as well. I don't really care how others are dressed anyway usually as long as the outfit is not offensive.

On "cruise casual" evenings I generally wear khakis or dockers with a polo or collared shirt. (Usually a "Hawaiian print"; I am on VACATION after all. :p ) Sometimes, I'll wear nice "dress shorts" like golf shorts instead of long pants. I have on occasion even worn nice dark colored jeans on "cruise casual" evenings. I've never felt out of place or under dressed. "Cruise casual" shoes are usually either "deck shoes" or nice tennis shoes.

Lately, for "cruise elegant" evenings I usually wear dress slacks with a button down dress shirt, tie and dress shoes, rarely a jacket or sports coat. In the past, for "cruise elegant" I've done everything from a full suit to a tux. However, with the cost of checked baggage these days :eek: I can't justify the expense of bringing a full suit or tux, and quite frankly I'm more relaxed and comfortable without them.

On longer trips (seven days or more) you're more likely to see more men in suits or tuxedos than shorter cruises; but either way you'll be ok with a shirt and tie. :cool:

I might get flamed for saying this but:

Whatever I wear, as long as it's appropriate, really has no effect on my enjoyment of the meal, and if what I'm wearing has an affect on someone else's meal that really has more to do with them than it has to do with me.

its funny to read the boards on this subject. the there is no elegant night and you don't have to dress up. yes there is an elegant night and yes people do still dress up. Yes they still wear dresses and suits and tuxes. we normally wear khakis & a polo or button down. on elegant night our suits less the jackets for the guys and dresses for the ladies. on the freedom we saw more suits & tuxes on elegant night then casual or everyday attire. I would say in the dining room we were in there were more people dressed up each night then dressed down. as for ball caps a gentleman a few tables away was wearing one on elegant night.

Edited by morganboys

Informal long pants and collar polo. Formal minimum sports coat and tie.

This would be correct if you were on another cruise line board. But, Carnival doesn't have a formal night, so move along, nothing to see here.

It's at best called Cruise Elegant. For the OP and others that haven't cruised in a while here is what I've seen on three cruises in the past ninety days and twenty on Carnival.

Regular nights: shorts, jeans, tee shirts, cargo shorts, basketball shorts, jerseys, khakis, sport coats and a litany of the same for the ladies.

Cruise Elegant: long pants, polos, suits, one tux in the past year, jeans and a few long sleeve shirts.

We do early seating dining and are around the ship when late dining happens.

Appreciate this; on many cruises people walk aboard in shorts, never step foot in the main dining room, utilize the buffet exclusively and attend the same after dinner venues as the rest of us, all in dress that is permitted on the ship.

Two kids of posts here, those that remember cruises from the 70's and early 80's and those that accept what a mass market cruise line has done.

Any cruiser hung up on what someone else is wearing needs a new hobby...

Two more booked.

Edited by BallFour4

As I said in another thread - when you add a water park to the ship, have pictures with a pirate in the MDR and the staff dancing, I think you lose the right to pretend this is some upper class cruise across the Atlantic from the early 1910's.

I wore the same outfit to each of the elegant nights I've been to - short sleeve black button up shirt with black dress pants. First time I wore a tie, but it's not comfortable to eat with one one.

Other nights, I wore jeans or my "good" shorts (it was warm in the MDR) and a golf/polo shirt.

Just got off the Liberty. On casual nights, the "norm" seemed to be nice khaki-style shorts and polo shirts. No baseball hats or swim trunks are allowed.

On elegant night, most men were wearing long pants, a long sleeved button up shirt with a collar, and quite a few a tie. Some people where more "elegant" than others, but these reflected what I saw as a majority.

Edited by stupendousman8

For me it depends. Last cruise to the Bahamas was an odd situation as I was moving 800 miles the day I got off the ship so it was just nice wool dress pants, French cuff shirt and tie for formal night. Regular nights always pants either linen or khaki.

We go to Alaska on a 7 day coming up and I think I will just take a sport coat and go with that and a pair of French cuff dress shirts. I have a serious cufflink problem.

I know the question was asked about the guys, but what about the ladies? We have sailed on NCL the past many cruises and never have to dress formally or elegantly and can still enjoy the MDR which is one our our main reasons for sailing with NCL. However, we will be sailing on the Sunshine in Sep. My husband has plenty of dress pants and button down shirts and I can probably sneak in a tie or two. But I have no gowns, cocktail dresses and only own 2 dresses which I would consider more business in appearance. I also have one maxi dress. So I don't know what to bring. I normally wear capris and a nice top on NCL. Any suggestions for the ladies?

As I said in another thread - when you add a water park to the ship, have pictures with a pirate in the MDR and the staff dancing, I think you lose the right to pretend this is some upper class cruise across the Atlantic from the early 1910's.

I wore the same outfit to each of the elegant nights I've been to - short sleeve black button up shirt with black dress pants. First time I wore a tie, but it's not comfortable to eat with one one.

Other nights, I wore jeans or my "good" shorts (it was warm in the MDR) and a golf/polo shirt.

Spot on there!

I dress as casually as possible at all times...cruise, work, church. The more casual I dress, the more comfortable and relaxed I feel. And isn't that what a vacation is all about?

Sad fact is that dressing casual can be more expensive than dressing up a bit. A decent pair or shorts is at least $30, a UA Polo is $55, favorite water sandals are $89. Yikes.

I told me wife I am only going to wear a tie 4 more times in my life. When our kids graduate college and when they get married. That's its.

Edited by Badfinger

I have seen it all, and it doesn't really bug me. We always dress nice every night in the MDR but I'll throw on a dress for formal night and hubby will wear dress pants, dress shoes, long sleeve shirt and tie...but no jacket. If he brought that thing it would take up half his suitcase.

I do agree that if you want to wear your ratty ballcap, shorts and t-shirt, go have dinner on Lido. Would it seriously kill you to bring a golf shirt and dockers people? They don't take much space in the luggage.

I do think the days of super formalwear are about over Tuxes and ball gowns). Everyone looked great on the Love Boat, but with today's luggage restrictions, hectic lifestyles and families cruising together, I'm guessing most people would rather be comfortable. If you want the snooty cruise ship...there are plenty to choose from and you will spend a lot more...to haul a tux in your suitcase. :cool:

Goodness, where do you shop? Those prices are crazy.

Here's a tip people: Need a few outfits for your cruise and don't want to spend a bundle? Thrift shops. I have picked up sooooo many awesome outfits for so little money and on top of that you are helping a charity. Example - black cocktail dress, $8; 3 golf shirts for hubby, $2.50 each; sundress, $5; 2 long sleeve dress shirts for hubby, $6 each. If you don't have any thrift shops near you, another good bet is buying clothing out of season at regular stores - buying golf shirts at the end of summer or buying dress pants right after christmas. Be on the lookout for sales or just let your wife shop for you.

Extra tip for the ladies - want a nice formal dress at a rock bottom price - shop right after prom season. I landed my wedding dress for $89 that way. Big stores like Dillards and Macy's just want to get rid of those dresses.

Edited by CruiseKittyFL

I have seen it all, and it doesn't really bug me...

...Would it seriously kill you to bring a golf shirt and dockers people?

It would. We cruise Carnival for the choice to be casual all day. That means golf shorts and a polo are fully within the suggested dress from our host. We both knew that when we booked, when we agreed to the cruise contract and when we stepped aboard.

I've taken a 4 nighter to Cozumel and not carried on more than a 22" suitcase. No long pants were inside. We missed one dinner, Cruise Elegant.

For the poster that talked about the cost of dressing casual, look around! Greg Norman khaki shorts are $19.00 at Sams, Nautica Polos are $21.00 at Costco and leather boat shoes are under $50 at our Academy.

I originally thought it was the Caribbean and Mexico routes that merited more casual dress and then we cruised the Glory to Canada last summer. Shorts and golf shirt for 5 nights, khakis, a madras shirt and sandals or boat shoes for the other night. One suitcase, under 50 pounds for 7 nights.

Edited by BallFour4

What is considered casual for men to wear in the dinning room? On formal night what would be doable without wearing a suit? Thanx!!!:o

Sadly, they make rules, but have never seen anyone refused. One cruise, saw lots of jeans(not in great condition) and t-shirts but the worst was a tall guy(so he definitely was seen) with a white t-shirt and cut off pants and he was permitted in on formal night. We dress as rules say but many do not think the rules are for them and many crew members are afraid to say anything because that person can then go to ship management and get them in trouble(using another reason they are reporting them).

Goodness, where do you shop? Those prices are crazy.

Here's a tip people: Need a few outfits for your cruise and don't want to spend a bundle? Thrift shops. I have picked up sooooo many awesome outfits for so little money and on top of that you are helping a charity. Example - black cocktail dress, $8; 3 golf shirts for hubby, $2.50 each; sundress, $5; 2 long sleeve dress shirts for hubby, $6 each. If you don't have any thrift shops near you, another good bet is buying clothing out of season at regular stores - buying golf shirts at the end of summer or buying dress pants right after christmas. Be on the lookout for sales or just let your wife shop for you.

Extra tip for the ladies - want a nice formal dress at a rock bottom price - shop right after prom season. I landed my wedding dress for $89 that way. Big stores like Dillards and Macy's just want to get rid of those dresses.

Bedbugs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Informal long pants and collar polo. Formal minimum sports coat and tie.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Long pants and collar polo for elegant night. Anything goes for casual.

I have been to a few "Elegant" night dinners, wearing anything from dress pants and a short sleeve button up to a 3 piece suit, I have also skipped a few because I didn't feel I had the proper attire. I have NEVER payed any attention to what anyone else was wearing and what other people were wearing has NEVER had bearing on the enjoyment of my evening.