Has anyone ever hired a Taxi Turistico to tour the Island?

JWGrayson

We are headed to San Juan 10/29. We will have 3 days to look around PR before catching our ship on 11/1.

Has anyone ever hired a Taxi Turistico to tour the Island? If so, how much was it per hour and would you recommend that option for seeing places like Arecibo Observatory and El Yunque? Thanks, John

I have never hired a taxi in San Juan for anything other than transportation to and from hotels and the airport or downtown.... what I have had good luck with is renting cars and driving.... the roads in Puerto Rico are fine and especially if you get or have a GPS unit (they really do help keep you from getting lost) There are private tour guides in San Juan area. I know when we took a taxi from the airport last time the driver gave us his card and offered to take us places if we wanted to hire him. I am sure they are willing.... just google them and call them and ask prices. Good luck and have a great time.

I have never hired a taxi in San Juan for anything other than transportation to and from hotels and the airport or downtown.... what I have had good luck with is renting cars and driving.... the roads in Puerto Rico are fine and especially if you get or have a GPS unit (they really do help keep you from getting lost) There are private tour guides in San Juan area. I know when we took a taxi from the airport last time the driver gave us his card and offered to take us places if we wanted to hire him. I am sure they are willing.... just google them and call them and ask prices. Good luck and have a great time.

Thanks for your input! Since I posted this, I've booked one bus tour and 2 private ones, which we will share with another couple.

What I really prefer is someone from the island to tell me all about it. For example, we have walked around OSJ, but learned little, or nothing. So, this trip I've already booked a tour. We are interested in history, culture and scenic nature, rather than a day at the beach. John

• 3 weeks later...

Last October, we were in San Juan and a taxi driver approached us to take us on a tour....he had a van that would have held probably 6 people...He charged us $10 pp for a two hour tour. His English was excellent, he stopped at variious places so we could get out and take pictures and look around. He took us to a market, he took us into San Juan city, and dropped us at El Morro at the end. It was one of the best tours I have ever had! There are plenty of taxi drivers (not the tour operators) outside of the pier area. In fact, I saw this same taxi driver on our next visit to San Juan just this past February....he remembered me. He had his taxi parked just outside of the CVS. I would recommend this for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
Last October, we were in San Juan and a taxi driver approached us to take us on a tour....he had a van that would have held probably 6 people...He charged us $10 pp for a two hour tour. His English was excellent, he stopped at variious places so we could get out and take pictures and look around. He took us to a market, he took us into San Juan city, and dropped us at El Morro at the end. It was one of the best tours I have ever had! There are plenty of taxi drivers (not the tour operators) outside of the pier area. In fact, I saw this same taxi driver on our next visit to San Juan just this past February....he remembered me. He had his taxi parked just outside of the CVS. I would recommend this for sure!

Same here only ours was next door at the Sheraton OSJ that was in 2011 we were heading to the Rum factory by boat and he offered us a great tour including the rum factory we spent several hours and he was in NO hurry we saw anything and everything and then he dropped us at El Morro which worked perfect as we wanted to stop at El Covento hotel for dinner they have a wonderful pizza place to eat so walked there ate and then headed on back and saw a few more sites. Our taxi driver actually headed up the baggage handlers union so we saw him as boarded the ship he was directing the porters. He was a great guy would highly recommend Frank if you can find him.

Edited by frito58

Thanks for your input! Since I posted this, I've booked one bus tour and 2 private ones, which we will share with another couple.

What I really prefer is someone from the island to tell me all about it. For example, we have walked around OSJ, but learned little, or nothing. So, this trip I've already booked a tour. We are interested in history, culture and scenic nature, rather than a day at the beach. John

John, We are going in December and are interested in the same things. I have contacted a few tour companies. Some already filled for the day we will be there and others have not answered. I would love to hear about your experience after you go or if you can share who you have booked with I could go ahead and try to contact them. Did you contact by email or phone?

I have seen several posts where people say to just get a taxi at the pier but I would rather have something in place if possible before we go.