Thomson Merger

Thomson holiday owner TUI Travel have agreed terms on a merger with German parent company TUI AG.Requires approval from shareholders.The business will be listed in London but headquartered and tax-domiciled in Germany.A merger will initially save £36 million more than half of which will come from job losses

Affect on customers,not a scooby

Thomson holiday owner TUI Travel have agreed terms on a merger with German parent company TUI AG.Requires approval from shareholders.The business will be listed in London but headquartered and tax-domiciled in Germany.A merger will initially save £36 million more than half of which will come from job losses

Affect on customers,not a scooby

Hmm..... I think I would tend to agree with your sentiments JTS. I don't know what the implications might be for UK cruisers with Thomson but with what I perceive to be blatant cut backs in the last couple of years I really worry about the future of Thomson if there is more to come!

"UK business ‘will not be affected’ by Tui merger"

Ha ha ha ha :rolleyes:

Well spotted Jim, just did a bit of googling and found this

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/uk-business-will-not-be-affected-by-tui-merger/4691928.article

It's worrying that the British and German chief executives will be joint CEOs until 2016, when Friedrich Jousse will be sole CEO and Peter Long will be Chairman of the group's supervisory board (what ever that is :rolleyes:)

We are already second class citizens in this company, what next?

"UK business ‘will not be affected’ by Tui merger"

Ha ha ha ha :rolleyes:

Well spotted Jim, just did a bit of googling and found this

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/uk-business-will-not-be-affected-by-tui-merger/4691928.article

It's worrying that the British and German chief executives will be joint CEOs until 2016, when Friedrich Jousse will be sole CEO and Peter Long will be Chairman of the group's supervisory board (what ever that is :rolleyes:)

We are already second class citizens in this company, what next?

Ohh....... what next indeed! We could always hope that they will bring the UK arm more into line with the Mein Schiff brand - but what makes me rather sceptical about that? :rolleyes: Well one thing we can be sure of is that we'll all be keeping a close eye on developments. ;)

I think it needs to be remembered that this is not just cruises but all brands and types of holidays under that umbrella and cruises is only a small part.

What it will mean is that we can more easily book to go on Mein Schiff and those in Germany can more readily book to go on the Thomson ships but we all know there will be little crossover from either end on this aspect of the business.

I think it needs to be remembered that this is not just cruises but all brands and types of holidays under that umbrella and cruises is only a small part.

What it will mean is that we can more easily book to go on Mein Schiff and those in Germany can more readily book to go on the Thomson ships but we all know there will be little crossover from either end on this aspect of the business.

I would need German lessons. Goodness knows what I would end up booking!:confused:

I think I'm correct in saying you can book 2016 Caribbean cruises on Mein Schiff. Looks like they are not driven by the cruise and stay factor.

I think this could be a good thing. The Germans demand very high standards so I think things can only get better.;)

Also any 'old' ships can be passed down to us.........keeping it all in the family.:rolleyes::D

" Tui launch it's first retail store in Mumbai.....Ist flagship store....larger business expansion plans over the next five years. This is their 6th outlet in India. Tui India is part of Tui Travel PLC. In India it operates as a joint venture with Le Passage to India PVT. LTD. a pioneer Indian tourist company.

Cruises are available with flights from Mumbai and Delhi to Vietnam and Hong Kong "

The ship.......

Superstar Virgo was built in 1999.

" Superstar Virgo offers so much more than first class dining and entertainment. It takes you to places where the sun, sea, people and culture blend colourfully well. Every deck on board Superstar Virgo teems with endless fun, entertainment and activities. As you cruise to the most exotic parts of Asia on this floating 5* resort. It's more than 25 outlets of food and beverege, entertainment and recreation outlets will impress you. "

Never mind ......we got " Platinum Upgrade "

" Tui launch it's first retail store in Mumbai.....Ist flagship store....larger business expansion plans over the next five years. This is their 6th outlet in India. Tui India is part of Tui Travel PLC. In India it operates as a joint venture with Le Passage to India PVT. LTD. a pioneer Indian tourist company.

Cruises are available with flights from Mumbai and Delhi to Vietnam and Hong Kong "

The ship.......

Superstar Virgo was built in 1999.

" Superstar Virgo offers so much more than first class dining and entertainment. It takes you to places where the sun, sea, people and culture blend colourfully well. Every deck on board Superstar Virgo teems with endless fun, entertainment and activities. As you cruise to the most exotic parts of Asia on this floating 5* resort. It's more than 25 outlets of food and beverege, entertainment and recreation outlets will impress you. "

Never mind ......we got " Platinum Upgrade "

Well spotted nancyneptune. ;)

Says it all don't you think? :rolleyes:

If it's of interest to anyone on the TUI AG website there's a press release dated 27/6/2014 that goes into detail re proposed merger. It's in pdf form and goes into detail.

Mollythedolly

Click on this link.

http://www.tui-group.com/en/media/press_releases/archiv/2014/20140627_tui_statement

Not exactly light reading for bedtime !!!

More to the point, does it have a happy ending ?

Missed all of this being away!

Mixed feelings about it really. If the head quarters are going to be in Germany, does this mean we lose our head office here in the UK?

Will be interested to see what this means for the cruise operation though. A lot of the press releases I've just read highlight the intended growth in the cruise market as being an important factor of the merger. I can't see Thomson Cruises going though in favour of TUI Cruises in the UK. They've tried using the TUI name in the UK before but it didn't work. Perhaps TUI Cruises going international so we can also use it, but Thomson staying? Or maybe Thomson also going down the partnership route with Royal Caribbean to create a similar cruise line to TUI?

I just hope whatever happens, the main fundamental cores that make people return to Thomson remain (entertainment, port intensive itineraries, crew) albeit the merger gives us brand new ships and a loyalty scheme :D

• 1 month later...

TUI Travel plc operates the cruise under the brand Thomson Cruises , its fleet consists of five vessels for the time, of which two are chartered by the Cypriot Louis Cruises. So-called experts now expect the Mein Schiff 1 & 2 to be deported to Britain, once the new buildings Mein Schiff were delivered 4-6. This seems to be a logical step, the chartered vessels could then be issued. For the Iceland Escape is still searching desperately for a buyer.

Source - http://www.seereisenportal.de/news/archiv/2014/august.html

Hope this does come true as even though they're not brand new ships, they are the logical and realistic step up from the current fleet, a decent size that should mean the same personal service is achieved, plus they've been refurbished very well. With MS5 coming in 2016, perhaps we will see changes for that summer season. Perhaps the first Mein Schiff might be an addition to the fleet, meaning ex-UK can return for 2016, then they can decide after when they get the next MS which ship to replace.

Hope this does come true as even though they're not brand new ships, they are the logical and realistic step up from the current fleet, a decent size that should mean the same personal service is achieved, plus they've been refurbished very well. With MS5 coming in 2016, perhaps we will see changes for that summer season. Perhaps the first Mein Schiff might be an addition to the fleet, meaning ex-UK can return for 2016, then they can decide after when they get the next MS which ship to replace.

So does this mean Mein Schiff is clean enough to travel north?

That would be good news for me.:)

Just doing a bit of researching and MS 1 and 2 are definitely still sailing for TUI Cruises for 2016. Looks like it would be when MS 6 comes in 2017 we might see one of Mein Schiff being transferred. A long wait then...

They'll be old by then!:eek:

Just like I'm feeling today.;)