Hurricane?

Kimd1971

We got a letter as we checked in 2 years ago on my last cruise...Letting us know that due to a hurricane we were missing one port and going to a different one. We all got $30 OBC because of the fee/port cost different for the ports. No big deal....

In September 2010 we left Charleston headed to Nassua a tropical storm was coming in as we headed out it was ruff going up the coast but once we got near Fla it smooth out and we had a fanatastic cruise......

Current forecast models show that the brewing storm will move north up the coast, and not likely inland to Florida. Miami and the Caribbean should be fine. Departures up north will be a different story if they are heading south. Right now we are cloudy with very light wind and a bit cooler than normal here at Boca Raton. We'll see what the next two days brings.

I really don't see this becoming a hurricane, but a tropical storm can still dish out some high winds and rough seas. As I said above, the captain will have a plan.

1404211608000-084205W5-NL-sm.gif

As of 4pm today the National Hurricane Center forecast Authur to be at hurricane intensity on Thursday afternoon as the cyclone tracks to the North-East well offshore of Charleston. Looks like the Captain will have to do some course changes to avoid the high wind and sea. Have a good cruise.

I live in charleston and work in a related field. We had a conference call today with the NWS and they said that outer bands will skirt us Wednesday evening into Thursday, with not a lot of rain. By Friday, it should be in the outer banks. Perfect for my saturday departure out of port c!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been watching Arthur or keeping an eye out on the Weather Channel as I have family on the Splendor heading back from Grand Turk to NYC. It looks like the ship is moving to get back to NY on Thursday ahead of the storm from the information on one of the online websites that track ships.

Edited by sjcruiser

I live in charleston and work in a related field. We had a conference call today with the NWS and they said that outer bands will skirt us Wednesday evening into Thursday, with not a lot of rain. By Friday, it should be in the outer banks. Perfect for my saturday departure out of port c!

This is what our local weather is also saying: Don't cancel your beach plans for the 4th!

Arthur should be skirting the SC coast on Thursday as a tropical storm. The beaches north of Charleston (Georgetown thru Myrtle Beach area) will experience some strong gusts of wind and rain but nothing major. By Friday things should be back to normal except for small craft warnings.

The major concern at this point is the Outer Banks of NC and northward where Arthur is predicted to have hurricane force wind.

We were trapped in the Gulf of Mexico 3 extra days last year while a hurricane was behind us (coming our way) and they closed the Mississippi river to traffic...

Was interesting when the hurricane went right over top of us, that's for sure... No phones, no internet, no satellite... All exterior doors locked... Was like a bobber in the ocean...

Looking back... wow was that fun! lol But scary as heck when it was happening...

It's Sail day for you!! Let us know if you get to leave or not, I'm sure you're going to have a GREAT time! The marine forecast is not showing much in the way of rough seas. Wishing you a wonderful time!!

I don't see what the big deal is. Our thunderstorms in South Florida are worse than a Tropical Storm.

OMG the local weather people are soooooo excited there is a heavy rain possibly coming to Florida. I guess they get tired of the same daily reports. Yes, the ocean will likely be rough.

OMG the local weather people are soooooo excited there is a heavy rain possibly coming to Florida. I guess they get tired of the same daily reports. Yes, the ocean will likely be rough.

If they're tired of the same thing, then it's time for a career change.

Have had several hurricane cruises, in 2004, we left from NYC for 9 days, ports scheduled.....San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortula....I forgot the name of the hurricane but it was a BIG one, we knew we were making it to San Juan, so they took us to Port Canavral, and guess what, all excursions CANCELLED due to the hurricane, nothing to do, they gave us free shuttle to Walmart and the beach and at the beach they were boarding up all shops, left before the big storm wrecked havoc on PC.

Next port changed instead we went to Nassau, and guess what they were boarding up everything there also, next port changed to Freeport, you guessed it boarding up for the big storm. 12 hours after we left Freeport they got slammed.

As it turned out the original ports on itinerary were not touched at all.

We were very disappointed, since we choose this cruise for the ports. CCL did give everyone the option of leaving the cruise in PC and getting 6 days cruise credit. We chose to stay, they did give a 10% future cruise discount which we couldn't use. That's life!!