Chair Hogs

Planning a B2B Carnival cruise aboard the Breeze. Have not been on a cruise in a few years.

Please tell. . . What is the status of chair hogs on the Lido/Serenity decks? Is it still a problem? Or has Carnival finally addressed those that get up at 5 a.m., block a chair with a paperback and then don't reappear again until after lunch?

If it is still a problem, is there a solution?

I did a cruise on the Valor recently. I made a point of checking out the various pool decks at 8AM and 9AM looking for signs of chair hogs. I noted NONE!!!

I did spend most of the one sea day on the Valor indoors

Just off the Freedom today, they had chair hogs and now it has turned into table hogs also.

JudyOh, I know what you mean about table hogs. If they want to just sit and talk or play cards why can't they go to the library or Promenade deck?:D Pink

JudyOh, I know what you mean about table hogs. If they want to just sit and talk or play cards why can't they go to the library or Promenade deck?:D Pink

I don't think they're being table hogs if they're actually using the tables.

I agree, chair hogs to me means someone who claims it, and doesn't use it, essentially reserving it for the day, even if they spend most of the day inside.

I Also would not consider someone a chair hog if they have their things on a chair and spend an hour and a half in the pool, which I have seen before. I sat down and a few chairs over was a towel and a book, an hour later, someone was moving it, and a guy came out of the pool to stop them. He may not have been using the chair for a while, but he was in the pool nearby, and thus needed a place for his stuff.

YB Nrml, I'm sorry:o but I was talking about people playing cards at a table in the Lido dining area at lunch time while others were walking around with trays of food trying to find a table to sit down to eat. One time I was eating ice cream at a table in the shade near the pool and a lady lying on a lounger in the sun told me that was her table to sit at when she needed to cool off:) Pink

Last March on the Breeze (Spring Break) they did watch and marked chairs with little "time paper stickers" and did go back and check! ;) We did see that they did remove items.......

However, from the above postings, this doesn't sound like the norm! :p

Wow... people sitting at a table doing something and being accused of being table hogs??? My wife and I like to sit at a table on the Lido (pool) deck and watch others... Sometimes we will have food with us, sometimes not. We are not "sun worshippers" but do enjoy the fresh air (minus the spray-on sunscreen). But we are also not opposed to having others sit with us if there are a few empty seats.

So even if they are in the buffet area using a table, there are so many tables there. And very rarely are they all used. If you want to use a table that is partially used, join in with the folks there. You never know, you may find them interesting to chat with.

Steve

I know how Carnival could make some extra money. Start charging for chairs. Kind of like FTTF. It could be called TIMC = This Is My Chair. They could issue a plackard that one could hook to the chair of their choice early in the morning. It would have a number associated with your S&S card. If someone sits in it you have the right to give them the boot. TIMC

And likewise they could have TIMT = This Is My Table. Afterall they do it in the dining room.

Actually I am just joking BUT it sure could resolve a LOT of problems.

I was on the Splendor in June and I was up at the pool every day at 7AM - I spend the day based there with the occasional trip to get food or the room, never gone long. I would wait for my daughter to wake up and then have breakfast with her and go back to the pool. On the second sea day I went to breakfast with my daughter - gone for less than 1/2 hour and when I came back there was a sticker on my chair with a time on it that said 10:45 - I guess they wait until then and then take your stuff, please note I wasn't gone hours like others - I was extremely pissed.....

Totally disagree with the "table hog" thing. Myself and my husband, like someone else has already said, enjoy finding a spot on the lido for breakfast and then we hang out there sometimes for hours after eating. People watching, talking, enjoying being outside but not in the sun. Why should I have to go somewhere else when I paid to use that table to? I could understand if I was like the lady who claims the table and isn't using it....but we sit there and use it. On one cruise we had to use a table to put our stuff when we went in the pool.....Very few people in the pool, but every chair was taken, either by a person or their stuff so we had no where else to leave it.

Hi everyone. New to the board here....

I just got back from Carnival Legend and they do have a policy about "saving" seats and deck chairs. It was announced at several shows that it was not allowed, to please not do it and if anyone was trying to sit and was told it was saved, to get "management". On the deck there was a sign that said towels, etc. would be removed after 45 minutes.

I was on the Splendor in June and I was up at the pool every day at 7AM - I spend the day based there with the occasional trip to get food or the room, never gone long. I would wait for my daughter to wake up and then have breakfast with her and go back to the pool. On the second sea day I went to breakfast with my daughter - gone for less than 1/2 hour and when I came back there was a sticker on my chair with a time on it that said 10:45 - I guess they wait until then and then take your stuff, please note I wasn't gone hours like others - I was extremely pissed.....

Why were you pissed? It seems like they were actually monitoring the chairs - which is a good thing. If you were back before your time then no issues but if you are gone past then you should not have been saving a chair.....

makes perfect sense

Totally disagree with the "table hog" thing. Myself and my husband, like someone else has already said, enjoy finding a spot on the lido for breakfast and then we hang out there sometimes for hours after eating. People watching, talking, enjoying being outside but not in the sun. Why should I have to go somewhere else when I paid to use that table to? I could understand if I was like the lady who claims the table and isn't using it....but we sit there and use it. On one cruise we had to use a table to put our stuff when we went in the pool.....Very few people in the pool, but every chair was taken, either by a person or their stuff so we had no where else to leave it.

I agree totally. If someone is sitting at the table it doesnt matter what they are doing. They are there and not just having a saved table.

When we travel with my parents, my father loves to hang out at a table and play cards or read while we all sit in the sun nearby and my kids may join him for a few when they are having a snack but he is always there and has every right to sit there and do absolutely nothing if he feels like it. He always invite folks to sit if they are walking around looking for a place to sit but I would never just hold the table.

Tam

Why were you pissed? It seems like they were actually monitoring the chairs - which is a good thing. If you were back before your time then no issues but if you are gone past then you should not have been saving a chair.....

makes perfect sense

Tam, you put it better than I would have, at least this morning :). If they had gone in to get breakfast and bring it out and sit on the chairs, that is fine. But to drop their stuff and then go get breakfast, uh, no... Go get breakfast and then find your chairs. But I guess there is a time limit where you are not a "chog"...

Steve

I was pissed because my chair was the only one with a sticker and there were plenty of chairs with towels on them that were unoccupied. I had all my stuff on the chair - not just a towel. Once again I totally agree that nobody should get up at 7 put a towel out and come back hours later but people have a right to go inside for a quick snack and come back to their chair.

Tam, you put it better than I would have, at least this morning . If they had gone in to get breakfast and bring it out and sit on the chairs, that is fine. But to drop their stuff and then go get breakfast, uh, no... Go get breakfast and then find your chairs. But I guess there is a time limit where you are not a "chog"...

Steve

That is why there is a 45 minute rule about that I guess

Using a table in the Lido is not a problem, unless you are a group of 3 people, and occupy the largest family tables and throw stuff over all the chairs. A table for 4 would suit their needs.

People complain about kids running amuck all the time, but if the large dinner tables are taken, then groups are split up, thus having kids run back and forth from table to table. I've seen it on every Carnival cruise I have been on.

I love the word, "Chog". Hahahahahaha

Thanks for the responses. It seems that Carnival has instituted a 45 minutes (w/sticker) system that may or may not be used. At least it is something. That is enough to deter all but the most determined Choggers.

IMPO, I think it would be polite to go eat breakfast, wake your family members, etc. and then find a chair once you are ready to park it. I believe lunch time at the buffet could be enjoyed well within the 45 minutes window. If it takes longer, just move your stuff or take it with you.

Good to know bc from looking at the pictures of the Breeze there are several desireable spots and I would hate to have to wake up at 5 a.m. to enjoy them and also would hate to have to "hog" a chair just to get a chair. I travel solo and am a bit ADHD so I move around a lot and, unless napping, don't generally need a lounge chair for very long. It is nice to think that when I am ready to relax in a chair, it is possible to find one without becoming combative with a fellow cruiser. :rolleyes: