Chair Hogs

JudyOh, I know what you mean about table hogs. If they want to just sit and talk or play cards why can't they go to the library or Promenade deck?:D Pink

These tables were not in use, just their stuff, towels, books, etc sitting on them holding them like the chairhogs do.

I know how Carnival could make some extra money. Start charging for chairs. Kind of like FTTF. It could be called TIMC = This Is My Chair. They could issue a plackard that one could hook to the chair of their choice early in the morning. It would have a number associated with your S&S card. If someone sits in it you have the right to give them the boot. TIMC

And likewise they could have TIMT = This Is My Table. Afterall they do it in the dining room.

Actually I am just joking BUT it sure could resolve a LOT of problems.

I would just give the plackard the heave ho into the pool and have a seat!

I was just on the BREEZE last month, and while the chogs were out in full force, there was never an issue getting a chair (or a table)...there were plenty.

Also, the idea that someone has a problem with people sitting at a table in the lido – for whatever reason – is ridiculous. Some people just need to chill out and remember that they're on vacation.

On our Magic cruise last year, I would get up early to go exercising. Then i would stroll down to the buffet for a pre-breakfast snack...maybe a muffin, piece of fruit and some milk. I would take it to the level above the lido in those comfy chairs that overlook the main pool. This was about 7am or so. Only a few folks would be out and about at this time.

Everyday before 0730, I would see this lady I named "purple grandma" haul in a couple beach bags full of towels, books, sunscreen, etc into the main pool area. She would proceed to clip towels to 7-8 chairs and scatter the rest of the junk on the chairs. Then she would look around in an arrogant manner, really proud of herself. Then her demeanor would dampen when she realize nobody else who wanted a chair was up that early, and she probably could have come 1-2 hours later. Now I will give her credit as later in the day I would still see her sitting in that darn chair, purple hair and all. I assume those in the other chairs she saved were her friends/family, but since I only saw her in the mornings I cannot be sure. Way too funny.

For me, I would never save a chair for myself or anyone else. Last place I want to sit once people start gathering and the music starts playing is near that main pool. I would rather play with a sharp stick.

Edited by Badfinger

The only problem is they don't see themselves as doing anything wrong. And if you point it out to them they will get more rude and sometimes antagonistic. Am not saying it is wrong to point it out. Just some people think they are "due" this because they paid for the cruise (not like the rest of us who ALSO paid for it :) ). Heavens help us that we are responsible for our own actions.

The only problem is they don't see themselves as doing anything wrong. And if you point it out to them they will get more rude and sometimes antagonistic. Am not saying it is wrong to point it out. Just some people think they are "due" this because they paid for the cruise (not like the rest of us who ALSO paid for it :) ). Heavens help us that we are responsible for our own actions.

That is why I would report her to the powers that be on the deck that she is doing this. they don't have to act immediately but perhaps the next day and going forward, they can put those timed stickers on her property. I am sure all the ships have them but for whatever reason, do not always utilize them. I would not say anything to her tho. Don't need the drama on vacation. . . .

However, on the flip side, I do understand that later on it may be next to impossible for her group to get chairs all together once the masses have started to settle in. I think the fair thing for a group like hers to do is to maybe mark off 7 or 8 chairs in a less prime location, in the back a bit. That way she is not denying another person enjoyment of a prime location while her people sleep in or eat leisurely but she can still insure that they have a nice grouping all together.

I am one person I can always find one chair in even the most sought after location.

Grabbing 7 or 8 unneeded chairs in the most desirable location(s) early in the morning is rude and not neighborly.

That is why I would report her to the powers that be on the deck that she is doing this. they don't have to act immediately but perhaps the next day and going forward, they can put those timed stickers on her property. I am sure all the ships have them but for whatever reason, do not always utilize them. I would not say anything to her tho. Don't need the drama on vacation. . . .

However, on the flip side, I do understand that later on it may be next to impossible for her group to get chairs all together once the masses have started to settle in. I think the fair thing for a group like hers to do is to maybe mark off 7 or 8 chairs in a less prime location, in the back a bit. That way she is not denying another person enjoyment of a prime location while her people sleep in or eat leisurely but she can still insure that they have a nice grouping all together.

I am one person I can always find one chair in even the most sought after location.

Grabbing 7 or 8 unneeded chairs in the most desirable location(s) early in the morning is rude and not neighborly.

Chogging would be chogging, ... no matter the location. If 7 or 8 people want to be together at the pool, or wherever, GO together.

On sea days, depending on the time of day, it can be very hard to find a seat ANYWHERE near the pool.

Well if a large group wants to sit together but are not all ready to go to grab seats early together, they should then opt for a "non-pool view" location. those chairs along the side of the upper decks are almost always empty and a great spot for a group to congregate and make fun and noise without bothering anyone else. . . . . ;)

Sometimes we can't have it both ways. Sleep in and hunt or rise early and stay seated in your prime loungers. hahahahahaa:D

Edited by VacationCrazee

Wow... people sitting at a table doing something and being accused of being table hogs??? My wife and I like to sit at a table on the Lido (pool) deck and watch others... Sometimes we will have food with us, sometimes not. We are not "sun worshippers" but do enjoy the fresh air (minus the spray-on sunscreen). But we are also not opposed to having others sit with us if there are a few empty seats.

So even if they are in the buffet area using a table, there are so many tables there. And very rarely are they all used. If you want to use a table that is partially used, join in with the folks there. You never know, you may find them interesting to chat with.

Steve

We just got off the Liberty a few weeks ago and quite frankly, didnt notice anything unuual in terms of normal use of chairs and tables. Also didnt notice people walking around too much to find a chair or table so obviously everyone was behaving, not sweating the small stuff, an having a good time.

IMPO, I think it would be polite to go eat breakfast, wake your family members, etc. and then find a chair once you are ready to park it. I believe lunch time at the buffet could be enjoyed well within the 45 minutes window. If it takes longer, just move your stuff or take it with you.

For Mom1965 I interpreted it to mean that she used the chair at 7 am until her daughter woke up some time later, at which time she would leave the chair to go to breakfast and return afterwards. No issue.

But I agree that chairs shouldn't be saved for hours waiting for everyone to get motivated and get on deck.

I was pissed because my chair was the only one with a sticker and there were plenty of chairs with towels on them that were unoccupied. I had all my stuff on the chair - not just a towel. Once again I totally agree that nobody should get up at 7 put a towel out and come back hours later but people have a right to go inside for a quick snack and come back to their chair.

And the problem of course is what is quick. To some, that quick snack may be 15 minutes, to another it is 2 hours. Thus, that 45 minute time window and I feel that is too long. My personal preference would be 20 minutes is tooo long.

Just got off the Breeze. I had no problems. The sea days are crazy and yes towels everywhere saving chairs but I was able to find space somewhere. Serenity had space even on the loungers. I was able to chill out in the Jacuzzi for longer than I should have.

We tried to do everything opposite from the mass of people and did great.

I was on the Splendor in June and I was up at the pool every day at 7AM - I spend the day based there with the occasional trip to get food or the room, never gone long. I would wait for my daughter to wake up and then have breakfast with her and go back to the pool. On the second sea day I went to breakfast with my daughter - gone for less than 1/2 hour and when I came back there was a sticker on my chair with a time on it that said 10:45 - I guess they wait until then and then take your stuff, please note I wasn't gone hours like others - I was extremely pissed.....

Posting and giving you notice that you cannot leave your chair unattended for an "extended" period of time is absolutely the right thing for Carnival to do......they didn't just collect your things....didn't just dump your stuff somewhere.......they provided you with information/a reminder....you have a reasonable amount of time to leave your seat to attend to "stuff".......HOWEVER, there is a time limit; and other people are probably waiting to use that chair. - - How were they supposed to know when you would be back??? And how could they monitor your absence without the sticker?? I really like the idea, unless someone has a better idea? (I think they should put them on the chairs next to purple grandma too)

There are lots of things to get PISSED about........but being told (actually politely REMINDED) of the rules is nothing to be angry, mad, put out, or extremely pissed about......I'm just saying........

Just off the Breeze this past Sunday - Ratna in the towel hut on Lido did place stickers and yes she REMOVED items from rude (any chair hog is a rude person) people - my husband Bob Thank her for a job well done and she appreciated that gesture - we had a wonderful trip and we spent most of our time on the portside of deck 5 - hot tub and plenty of lounge chairs - Lido is to busy

[quote name='dadroy']And the problem of course is what is quick. To some, that quick snack may be 15 minutes, to another it is 2 hours. Thus, that 45 minute time window and I feel that is too long. My personal preference would be 20 minutes is tooo long.[/QUOTE]

I agree. 45 minutes is too long. 20 minutes would work for me, but 30 max.