Grills v The Rest

mufi

The cheapest quoted Sailaway price in the UK for the World Cruise 06 for an inside M5 is £9499. For a Q2 luxury £57000. So the difference is £47500. Except for the stateroom and dining the rest of the ameneties of the ship are open to all.

Obviously to pay such a massive discount some people must either think that the extra is good value, or they don't care whether it is or not.

If everyone aboard was paying roughly these prices, as is the case on some other ships it would be a very different situation, but to have a multi millionair sharing most of the facilities with, well, people like me is something to thank Cunard for in my opinion.

Again though, I wonder how many multi millionares you would find booking that £9499 inside cabin.

David.

I sailed on the QE twice in Caronia class which is 3rd out of the 4 dining room classes. On the QM2 you just get the Queen's Grill, Pricess Grill, and the vast majority of the passengers dine in the Britannia room which is sumptuous in itself. Unless you are a real food gourmand and/or need a large stateroom then the regular dining rooms are fine. We are planning a Transatlantic on the QM2 in summer `06 and will stay in Britannia.

uummmm!! I do see your point and not being a millionaire (let alone a multi) it does seem outrageously different.

However, on our transatlantic we had a P1 and ate in Princess Grill. The suite was as good as in any 4 or 5 star hotel, the large balcony window was wonderful and, had the weather been better, the balcony and loungers would have been just perfect to relax in. Indeed, we found the suite was just perfect to relax in during the day as well as providing a great atmosphere for pampering prior to dinner - the suite had a bath and shower over (The Q suites have whirlpool baths). The king size bed was luxurious, the sofa was equally comfortable and we could have friends for drinks, etc whenever we wished.

The Princess Grill was always cosy and intimate due to the low ceiling and arrangement for only being able to see a few other tables when eating. Service, food and wine were excellent and could be enjoyed whenever we wanted during restaurant opening and closing times, we were not constrained to a 'sitting'.

Granted we did not have the butler, the larger suite with whirlpool, the complimentary drinks cabinet, the flat screen TV, eating in Queens Grill, but given the availability of sufficient money we would definitely choose a P or Q suite in future.

I suppose the price difference is not unlike flying across the atlantic in economy class at £250 return or going First Class at over £2,000.

I too, prefer Princess as best luxe value on QM2. No need to jump another $4,000 to go into Queens Grill. Save the money and go Princess again!From two-seating Britannia into one-seating Princess, it's rather like flying coach or moving into business and sleeping across the Atlantic.........and you are still saving from the 1st Class cost.

There are so many ways to blow money; some are only costly and do not give me good value, Rather than a QM2 "penthouse", ride P1 and blow the rest of the money by going to The Greenbrier!

Yes, mufi/David. That's always been the irony of cabin locations. The higher you are, the greater the motion of the ship. But that's where the suites are, most often even towards the bow or stern, adding even more movement.

But, until you've been on a ship, most people do not think about that.....and up/front are suites on ships, the penthouse rooms in hotels, airplane cabins, etc. (Altho, today, I think Lufthansa is still the only airline which has F/C upstairs on the 747....and what a nice, quiet cabin it is, with only 16 passengers up there! Every other airline puts their premium cabins in Zone A-B.)

cheers

Yes, mufi/David. That's always been the irony of cabin locations. The higher you are, the greater the motion of the ship. But that's where the suites are, most often even towards the bow or stern, adding even more movement.

But, until you've been on a ship, most people do not think about that.....and up/front are suites on ships, the penthouse rooms in hotels, airplane cabins, etc. (Altho, today, I think Lufthansa is still the only airline which has F/C upstairs on the 747....and what a nice, quiet cabin it is, with only 16 passengers up there! Every other airline puts their premium cabins in Zone A-B.)

cheers

Tried to reply to this message yesterday without success. I have to say I agree with both Mufi and Kevinsac. I cannot understand why they put the suites so high up!! In my experience the higher you are the more movement of the ship. Mind you I wonder how many passengers booking a suite are repeat passengers??? On Aurora the penthouse suite is right up the front of the ship with lovely views over the bow. Mind you as nice as it would be to have one of those penthouse suites I'm not sure I'd want one!! We have booked an aft suite on Arcadia next summer (probably the first and last time). I'm sure that the movement at the back isn't as bad as at the front (well at least I hope not)!!

Elaine

And my family is an example of this illogical thinking!

I can't count the number of times we were on QE2, but I think we have stayed in every cabin on the Signal and Sun Decks, including the QE/QM and Vic/Anne Suites. We were always in Grill category cabins.....so we were way up above the water.

Now, on the QM2, I have been on board three times. Each booking was on Deck 10; the second time, in one of the Royal Suites all the way up front. (What a hella view of the world!) In our PG cabins, we were still on Deck 10, but mid-ship.

Is it logical? Nope. But if that's where the luxury cabins are placed.....and if that's what I want.....then that's where I've got to go. Obviously, I have sailed many times and in booking those cabins, I am making an informed decision. By gosh, we've had some tremendous storms. But I keep going back to those same cabins.

Archived