Reservations in main dining rooms?

witchegirl

That is exactly my point. Cruising is now like any other vacation. It used to be something very different and very special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's very possibly true. I didn't cruise in those "good old days". To be honest, it always sounded awful to me but that shows how we are all different. :)

Just as an aside (and I only say this to explain what my point has been), your original point was that freestyle sounds like hard work. That's what I have been discussing. I would never had entered a discussion about whether traditional cruising is better than what we have now, as it is just personal opinion. Some prefer one way and some prefer the other.

That's very possibly true. I didn't cruise in those "good old days". To be honest, it always sounded awful to me but that shows how we are all different. :)

Just as an aside (and I only say this to explain what my point has been), your original point was that freestyle sounds like hard work. That's what I have been discussing. I would never had entered a discussion about whether traditional cruising is better than what we have now, as it is just personal opinion. Some prefer one way and some prefer the other.

You're right. I don't know why I started this. Probably someone wrote something that I really connected with. I hope everyone continues to enjoy cruising however you prefer it.

You're right. I don't know why I started this. Probably someone wrote something that I really connected with. I hope everyone continues to enjoy cruising however you prefer it.

I'm not sure how it started really, but it's been a fun discussion (with hopefully no offence taken anywhere). I think the basic point we all agree in is each to their own, and there is no right or wrong, just personal preferences.

Everyone have fun, however you choose to spend your holidays.

I woke up to an email from NCL this morning that we can now make reservations in the main dining rooms. When I log in and go to that page, it says reservations are "highly recommended" for both and there's a drop-down menu to choose your time. You can book now or on board at the restaurant reservations desk.

Is this new?

I just got the same email for our Alaska cruise in August but when I go to my reservation I can't find anyplace to even look at the times. Could someone tell me exactly where the link is on my reservation? I've looked in dining.

I just got the same email for our Alaska cruise in August but when I go to my reservation I can't find anyplace to even look at the times. Could someone tell me exactly where the link is on my reservation? I've looked in dining.

It is in dining for my upcoming cruise (although I haven't had an email) :)

I think they are just getting you used to the idea. I would think in the future you will have to make reservation with there on board internet system. By smartphone or tablet

You have always had the option to book in advance of your cruise via My NCL any specialty dining, tours and entertainment available at 45 days out, and I guess it's 90 now. They are just adding an option to book the MDRs in advance of the cruise as well. Many people do not like to make reservations once on board, so I don't think the website option is going anywhere.

Paddy, when I follow the link from my email it takes me to the sign in page for My NCL. I assume you have set yours up. Once logged in, it will direct you to a page called Explore Your Options. There will be headings for Shore Exc., Dining and Entertainment. Just click on the appropriate one. Just keep in mind, NCL is Freestyle, and many, if not most on board pre book very little, unless it would be for the big shows on the newer ships. It is easy to just walk up to any dining venue, free or otherwise and be seated with minimal to no waits as a general rule. Don't feel like MDR reservations are a necessity simply because the option is offered.

Edited by punkincc

I have cruised with NCL several times now and frequently dine in the complimentary dining rooms. My experience has been similar to others in that "wait" times have never been excessive, with one exception: parties of 6 or more. My tip to travelers with larger parties would be to try to make a reservation if you have a time specific activity you would like to attend after dinner. When dining between 6:30 and 8:30 waits usually exceed 1/2hour and we have often waited up to an hour.

Basically if you want to cruise and have everything dealt with without even needing to book anything yourself, cruise in The Haven. That is more akin to the way cruising used to be. But...you pay 5 to 10x more for that privilege than those that sail in standard cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums