Viareggio?

sandinmyshoes

We are planning on taking a day trip to Viareggio from Florence at the end of our vacation. Has anyone been there? How are the beaches? Sand or pebbles or large rocks? I understand we will need to "rent" space at one of the beaches to get loungers and umbrellas. Any suggestions for the best location with really good food? Thanks in advance!

We are planning on taking a day trip to Viareggio from Florence at the end of our vacation. Has anyone been there? How are the beaches? Sand or pebbles or large rocks? I understand we will need to "rent" space at one of the beaches to get loungers and umbrellas. Any suggestions for the best location with really good food? Thanks in advance!

I know everyone has their own opinions but I was not crazy about Viareggio. It has newer buildings and felt like some place usa to me. It was busy when I was there in June 2012. We drove from Lucca. Can't remember drive time but it was not a difficult drive. There was a large, newly built pier and restaurant at the end of the pier. Water was pretty crowded, so much so that we opted not to swim. If I remember correctly the access to the beach in much of the area is via the hotels and places where you change into a swimsuit and rent your chairs so I don't think we even walked on the beach.

Perhaps we were there on a very busy day but it just did not have the charm of other areas in Italy. I know it is a popular vacation spot. Perhaps you could google pics of the beach and area to get an idea of what it looks like. I think we just walked around and eventually found a place that looked good to eat and it was. Can't think of any place in Italy were the food was bad though. The worst thing I ate in Italy was better than the best I have eaten in the US.

We have just returned from a p&o cruise. We booked an excursion to viagreggio beach. It's a massive long beach divided into private areas .each area has sun loungers. Bar, resteraunt. Toilets changing rooms.and some have a swimming pool. The day we were here the weather wasnt good so didnt go in sea . But should imagine that it gets very busy. You pay at the entrance from the promenade and hey will explain everything to you.