Galveston to Bahamas - Best Ship for "Old Folks"?

StormTight

We are looking at Eastern Caribbean cruises out of Texas (i.e., Galveston) with Carnival to Key West and the Bahamas (i.e., Freeport & Nassau).

Background:

• We have never cruised with Carnival;
    We have been loyal Princess cruisers out of Texas (i.e., Galveston and subsequently, Houston) for many years;
    We have never taken an Eastern Caribbean cruise;
    We choose not to fly from Texas to Florida to experience same;
    We are retired seniors and the "nightlife" on the ship is not a significant deciding factor. We're more interested in the stateroom features & location on the ship as well as the quality and service of food and cabin service.
    We would want a balcony in a "mini-suite" or full suite in the best locations (could be aft, rear, port or whatever).

All that being said, there are three (3) different Carnival cruise ships offering the exact same itinerary out of Galveston, TX. Our choices out of Galveston are the Freedom, Magic, or Triumph. The departure dates are not an issue.

The question is, are there any suggestions regarding which of the ships may offer the best stateroom and ship features for us "older folks"? Specifics as to the ship, the exact stateroom to try and book, etc. would be appreciated! Additionally, any excursions to be sure and take in the Bahamas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by StormTight

I can't compare since the only Carnival ship I've been on is the Magic but I can say that I like the Magic. I say book your first cruise on the Magic. Then before getting off, book another on the Freedom. Then try the Triumph and see which one suits you the best. :)

Edited by lady_cruiser

I don't think the Triumph goes to Key West and Bahamas. So now you are down to two ships. The Freedom won't be in Galveston until Valentines Day 2015 (I am sailing her from Ft. Lauderdale on the repo cruise). If you are looking to sail prior to Feb 2015 you will have to take the Magic. I have not sailed the Freedom but have done the Conquest twice and the Magic twice. I like the conquest class ship better. There is a higher staff to passenger ratio. Freedom has had 2.0 upgrades. I vote Freedom. Happy cruising.

We are looking at Eastern Caribbean cruises out of Texas (i.e., Galveston) with Carnival to Key West and the Bahamas (i.e., Freeport & Nassau).

Background:

• We have never cruised with Carnival;
    We have been loyal Princess cruisers out of Texas (i.e., Galveston and subsequently, Houston) for many years;
    We have never taken an Eastern Caribbean cruise;
    We choose not to fly from Texas to Florida to experience same;
    We are retired seniors and the "nightlife" on the ship is not a significant deciding factor. We're more interested in the stateroom features & location on the ship as well as the quality and service of food and cabin service.
    We would want a balcony in a "mini-suite" or full suite in the best locations (could be aft, rear, port or whatever).

All that being said, there are three (3) different Carnival cruise ships offering the exact same itinerary out of Galveston, TX. Our choices out of Galveston are the Freedom, Magic, or Triumph. The departure dates are not an issue.

The question is, are there any suggestions regarding which of the ships may offer the best stateroom and ship features for us "older folks"? Specifics as to the ship, the exact stateroom to try and book, etc. would be appreciated! Additionally, any excursions to be sure and take in the Bahamas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Try the Carnival Magic Vista balcony cabin, category 9C with wraparound balcony. The cabin is pretty much just a balcony cabin, but the wraparound balcony is nice. Or the ocean suite if you prefer a little larger cabin. Grand suite is the more expensive suite. Here are some videos to help you compare and decide which is more to your taste.

Freedom just got the 2.0 upgrades, but will not do Bahamas from Galveston until late March 2015 with Freeport, Nassau, and Key West. Freeport is not a very good port option. The port is very industrial looking. Downright ugly.

Triumph only has 2 eastern Caribbean cruises planned from Galveston, one in 2015 and one in 2016. Neither will return you to Galveston but end in Puerto Rico. Both are 11 day cruises. Triumph has one 7 day cruise Galveston roundtrip in November 2015 visiting Bahamas and Key West. One of the Bahamas ports is also Freeport.

That is what I came up with. Maybe someone else has some other ideas. Cabin service is pretty much the same in all Carnival cabins. There's no concierge service or butler service.

Edited by winddawn

We have sailed in all three ships. Never had a bad cruise. All fabulous.

Magic is my favorite because of the Cloud 9 Spa. Love the T-pool and heated chairs!! Red Frog Pub is another favorite. Outside areas!! Only had IS Spa cabins so cannot comment on balconies. Have been in the cove balcony and reg balcony. Same as any other ship.

Freedom would be my second. We sailed out of Florida for my retirement cruise. It was fabulous. Staff was wonderful. I am sure we will be on her again since she is coming to Texas. No Cloud 9 Spa. :( That could be the deal breaker.

Triumph would be my third. It is a great ship but have just been spoiled by the Magic and Freedom. We will probably be doing one of the 10 or 11 day cruises on her in 2015 or 2016. Love the ports and sail days. Personally wish the cruise was on the Freedom or Magic.

Whatever you decide I am sure it will be fabulous. Happy Sailing!!

For you, I would probably suggest the Magic in a Cloud 9 Spa room. They limit how many people can have access to the spa: those booked in a Cloud 9 Spa room plus a limited number of passes sold to others. It's very relaxing in those thermal suite rooms & the therapy pool. I think you would enjoy that. They do have a couple suites that are Cloud 9 Spa rooms.

You may already know all this, but that cruise is not actually an Eastern Caribbean cruise, even though it's labeled as such. It's a Bahamas cruise. Many people around here don't think much of the Bahamas. I would take Cozumel again and again over the Bahamas. The main appeal of the Bahamas is the Atlantis resort in Nassau, which is crazy expensive & designed for families. The true Eastern Caribbean cruises are the ones that go down to the area around Puerto Rico to the Virgin Islands and the other islands around that chain. Almost all of those go out of Florida, and they are all so much better than Galveston's Bahamas cruise. If you want the true Eastern Caribbean experience and you don't want to go out of Florida, you'll need to take the Triumph on their 10 and/or 11-day cruise that start or end in Puerto Rico. If you have the flexibility, take the full 21-day trek starting & ending in Galveston. That would be an amazing experience! The Triumph's suites are on deck 7, which is what I recommend anyway. If you would prefer a great balcony as opposed to a suite, go for the aft wrap-around balcony at the back of deck 7. The room is a regular room, but the incredible balcony more than makes up for it.

There are some people that enjoy the Bahamas as a cruise stop, and I realize that you might possibly be one of them. I only said all this just in case you haven't been there before & are just assuming that the Bahamas are amazing. Many people make that assumption, and wind up quite disappointed.

Edited by k2excursion

For you, I would probably suggest the Magic in a Cloud 9 Spa room. They limit how many people can have access to the spa: those booked in a Cloud 9 Spa room plus a limited number of passes sold to others. It's very relaxing in those thermal suite rooms & the therapy pool. I think you would enjoy that. They do have a couple suites that are Cloud 9 Spa rooms.

You may already know all this, but that cruise is not actually an Eastern Caribbean cruise, even though it's labeled as such. It's a Bahamas cruise. Many people around here don't think much of the Bahamas. I would take Cozumel again and again over the Bahamas. The main appeal of the Bahamas is the Atlantis resort in Nassau, which is crazy expensive & designed for families. The true Eastern Caribbean cruises are the ones that go down to the area around Puerto Rico to the Virgin Islands and the other islands around that chain. Almost all of those go out of Florida, and they are all so much better than Galveston's Bahamas cruise. If you want the true Eastern Caribbean experience and you don't want to go out of Florida, you'll need to take the Triumph on their 10 and/or 11-day cruise that start or end in Puerto Rico. If you have the flexibility, take the full 21-day trek starting & ending in Galveston. That would be an amazing experience! The Triumph's suites are on deck 7, which is what I recommend anyway. If you would prefer a great balcony as opposed to a suite, go for the aft wrap-around balcony at the back of deck 7. The room is a regular room, but the incredible balcony more than makes up for it.

There are some people that enjoy the Bahamas as a cruise stop, and I realize that you might possibly be one of them. I only said all this just in case you haven't been there before & are just assuming that the Bahamas are amazing. Many people make that assumption, and wind up quite disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have a few Princess cruises too and a few Carnival now. I'd go with Magic. Haven't been on that ship but was on Dream in April, it's sister ship. I thought the open space layout was much closer to Princess' design with a full Promonade Deck and an open aft with Pool. I thought the Conquest class (Conquest, Liberty) was too boxy and closed in up top and there was no open Prom.

I'd go back to the Dream Class (Dream, Breeze, Magic) w/no hesitation.

My best suggestion is to travel when the kids are in school. We end up traveling(due to my job, not kids) on holidays or summer and especially on holidays, 1/3 of the passengers are usually kids. We do not do the pool thing, so not really around them much except when getting on and off the elevators. To me, the ships are all about the same. Did a cruise out of Galveston on Triumph and loved it! Enjoy!

Also would recommend waiting during the school year when prices are lower & less kids onboard, upgrade to nicer balconies or suites.

Any of the ships going out of Galveston/Houston would be nice, but for you, maybe Princess, Royal Carib, or even Disney....