18 year old on P&O???

cruise5uk

We've been on P&O once before but our eldest daughter went in the kids club and this is how she made friends.

This time around we're travelling on Azura in august. She's 18 and the kids clubs only go up to 17- P&O don't seem to cater for this age group like Royal Caribbean do (they do a meeting in a club onboard for 18-23s).

I'm just wondering if anyone has travelled with an 18 year old on P&O before and if they met people onboard??:)

The17_20 year olds tend to make a big gang,and from the smiles on their faces during the cruise and the tears rolling down their faces on the last night and morning.she'll be fine

Hope this helps

Seasider

We went on Azura last summer when my daughter was 18, and found there was very little for her. I think they did organise a get-together for older teens, but there are no organised activities.

As she wasn't interested in hanging out with the one group that did form, that seemed to do a lot of drinking and smoking (she doesn't do either) and there were no other opportunities to get to know people of a similar age, she hung out with/did activities with me, which I suppose further limited her opportunities to meet people of her own age.

She had a great holiday, but I think she missed not making friends the way she had the previous year (some of whom she's still in touch with).

We have just returned from ventura I had my daughter 23 years old and my niece 16 year old with us. After the first few days while sat at side of pool they began talking to other teenagers from 16 -22 after that they had a ball. They all sat round pool during day and meet up at night in theatre then the Havana entertainment room.

Social media will be her friend for this. Tell her to get involved on the roll call on here and on the P&O facebook group. That should put her in touch with those of a similar age group before hand and they can arrange their own get together on the first day or so.

It'll be my first time with an 18 year old on Oriana on the 11th of this month. She always went to the kids clubs until about 15 and made good friends. When she was 16 she went on Oceana and came back saying that all the other girls were "plastic" (make up, drinking/smoking/teenyboppers etc) and she had nothing in common with them.

Fortunately we met a family onboard with a daughter her age with whom she has a lot in common; they are still friends. We cruised on the Azura with them the following year and they will be on Oriana so at least she will have a friend aboard. I think they are both a bit concerned that they will be the only 18 year olds though!

We went on Azura last summer when my daughter was 18, and found there was very little for her. I think they did organise a get-together for older teens, but there are no organised activities.

As she wasn't interested in hanging out with the one group that did form, that seemed to do a lot of drinking and smoking (she doesn't do either) and there were no other opportunities to get to know people of a similar age, she hung out with/did activities with me, which I suppose further limited her opportunities to meet people of her own age.

She had a great holiday, but I think she missed not making friends the way she had the previous year (some of whom she's still in touch with).

Oh that's a shame! So P&O organised a get-together for the older teens? Or did the older teens organise it? It is a shame that P&O don't cater for their age group as much!

• 5 weeks later...
We've been on P&O once before but our eldest daughter went in the kids club and this is how she made friends.

This time around we're travelling on Azura in august. She's 18 and the kids clubs only go up to 17- P&O don't seem to cater for this age group like Royal Caribbean do (they do a meeting in a club onboard for 18-23s).

I'm just wondering if anyone has travelled with an 18 year old on P&O before and if they met people onboard??:)

What is the date of your cruise, because I'm 18 and having that same problem :)

Last week on Azura there were 18-30 age group meetings posted in the daily timetable but they were at 9:30 and we were on late dinner so DS did not go.

He did however find plenty of new friends just by chatting to people around the ship and seeing some of his photos from the last night had a great time.

Last week on Azura there were 18-30 age group meetings posted in the daily timetable but they were at 9:30 and we were on late dinner so DS did not go.

He did however find plenty of new friends just by chatting to people around the ship and seeing some of his photos from the last night had a great time.

Well thats good to know, thanks :)

Oh that's a shame! So P&O organised a get-together for the older teens? Or did the older teens organise it? It is a shame that P&O don't cater for their age group as much!

Sorry for the late reply cruise5uk. The get-together organised by P&O was for 18+ as I recall, but for some reason I can't rememebr DD missed it - may have been because it clashed with dinner as MTElkwhistle said.

DD is rather quiet and shy initially in social situations and when she saw the group that appeared to have formed as a result of the meeting, which was rather loud and seemed to drink and smoke a lot, she decided it wasn't for her.

On our next cruise I'll be encouraging her rather harder to make her own group of friends. Much as I love her I need some me time too.:)

It'll be my first time with an 18 year old on Oriana on the 11th of this month. She always went to the kids clubs until about 15 and made good friends. When she was 16 she went on Oceana and came back saying that all the other girls were "plastic" (make up, drinking/smoking/teenyboppers etc) and she had nothing in common with them.

Fortunately we met a family onboard with a daughter her age with whom she has a lot in common; they are still friends. We cruised on the Azura with them the following year and they will be on Oriana so at least she will have a friend aboard. I think they are both a bit concerned that they will be the only 18 year olds though!

There will be lots aged 18 or around that sge,dont worry

Not on Oriana there won't!

There were only a small number of young people 18-mid 20s on Oriana; 5 or 6 I think. By the middle of the cruise they had formed a recognisable group (3 already knew each other and collected the rest) and had a great time. Average age was 70 ish. At 57 I was on the young side! But it was a wonderful cruise.