Luggage Storage and Transport to port

LandLockedInAZ

Hello all,

We're considering a transatlantic return to NY next summer with a pre-cruise land tour. Packing for our land tour will be very different from packing for our cruise, so we're hoping to put all of our cruise items in one suitcase and leave it behind somewhere until we are ready to embark on the cruise.

I found this on the Cunard site under FAQs:

Guests can now make arrangements to have White Star Luggage Service transport their luggage between their home and the ship or any pre- or post-land destination. This service is provided by DHL Worldwide Express and is available exclusively for the personal luggage of cruise guests. Orders must be placed at least 14 days prior to the sailing for domestic shipments and at least 21 days prior for international shipments. Expedited Services can be acquired within 14 days of sailing at additional cost, and are subject to availability.

Has anyone taken advantage of this service and do you know if they will provide storage in advance?

If not, does anybody know a business which will store a single large suitcase for 2 weeks prior to embarkation? If not, I suppose we could take advantage of the International service, but I'm sure that does not come cheap!

TIA!

My daughter and I have used the service about 3 or 4 times. They will pick up our luggage (2 bags weighing approximately 50 pounds each) at my house and the next time we see them is in our cabin on the ship.

It is rather expensive: $200.00 for the "round trip". They are shipped back to my home after the trip and arrive about 2-3 days after we get home.

Hope this helps?

Thanks, eatsallinsects!

I'm glad somebody was able to respond and tell me they have not lost your luggage!

When you mention the "round trip", is this for a trans-atlantic? Or have you been sailing out of the US RT?

In our case, we're going to be trying to travel as light as possible while on land. In addition to the fact that I'm sure we'll be just plain sick of wearing the same clothes over again during the two week land tour, those will just not be dressy enough for the cruise.

I'm glad somebody was able to respond and tell me they have not lost your luggage!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, too funny! I started not to mention this but cannot resist!

We were on the "tandem crossing" in April 2004 to Soton on the QE2 and coming back on the QM2 to NYC.

Our luggage was picked up here in Dallas TEXAS and taken to NYC BUT put on the wrong Cunard ship! On the transatlantic to Soton, we were on the QE2 but our luggage was on the QM2! We were reunited with it in Southampton for our return transatlantic! We were given a stipend from Cunard for necessary toiletries, etc. and our extra insurance kicked in for necessary clothing purchases (it did take a while to get reimbursed, however).

My daughter was very creative with the situation and made us tags we wore around the QE2. She was the president of the "Lost Luggage Club" and I was the CEO!

I think most people appreciated the way we handled the situation although many asked us if we weren't just furious. Our reply was : what good would it do to get upset; it wouldn't get out clothes to us!

We have used the service both to NYC and Ft. Lauderdale to board Cunard ships.

Archived