ATV Accident in Honduras?

NJCruzer82

Hello -

Has anyone heard any reports of a 22yo man listed in critical condition while on an ATV excursion in (possibly) Honduras yesterday? :confused: My girlfriend heard a rumor about someone she knows that apparently they were on an ATV excursion and were hit by a car and 1 person died and another is in critical condition, and is trying to find out more information (and see if it's even true). Please let me know - sorry I don't have more information. Thanks!!

Hello -

Has anyone heard any reports of a 22yo man listed in critical condition while on an ATV excursion in (possibly) Honduras yesterday? :confused: My girlfriend heard a rumor about someone she knows that apparently they were on an ATV excursion and were hit by a car and 1 person died and another is in critical condition, and is trying to find out more information (and see if it's even true). Please let me know - sorry I don't have more information. Thanks!!

Hmmmm. I saw the facebook post looking for money and came right here to find out what happened. Very odd that there would be an ATV accident that left one dead (the tour guide) and one in critical condition (the Carnival passenger) and yet there is not one news article regarding this accident nor any mention of it on this board.

I haven't heard a word about it...

I do know that Carnival has been issuing warnings for all ATV/dune buggy/golf carts, etc. usage on islands due to a few minor and major accidents that have caused permanent injury and deaths. So, whether this one is true or not, I have no idea...

I am not sure how well the vehicles are maintained. We rode a couple of them a few years ago and my daughter had trouble with the steering and kept running into the trees and shrubs.

heck, I try my best not to rent an automobile when I travel internationally....no way in heck i'm going to rent an ATV etc. Even the best recommended companies are nothing like we are use to.

I rented a car in Cabo one time and used the best rated most highly recommended company from another travel site...I had to trade the car out...I made them come and get it and bring me another one because the breaks were not good. The 2nd car was the same if not worse. They said they are all like that and blamed the hills. Gee, worn out brakes are okay? I don't think so! LOL. Nope, i'll hire a car/driver.

Everyone please be safe! At least have a really good insurance policy if you are foolish enough to rent these things in a foreign country. JMO,

We have rented ATV's & Motorcycles all over the place.

We have never had shoddy equipment & if we ever did we would refuse them.

The rental companies should be checked out, check their equipment, etc....

Please let those with common sense be free to make their own choices, instead of calling people you know nothing about "foolish".

We can not cure stupid & we don't ALL need a nanny.

Edited by silvercrikhix

I'm not sure on the exact details, but it is true, there was a terrible accident and we drove right by it on our way back to the port.

We were told it was a car and 2 scooters involved which left a local dead (we saw him -- he was laying on the side of the road uncovered) and a passenger from our ship injured and in the hospital. We saw a silver car down in a ditch close by with the side bashed in, a white scooter in the middle of the road, and a blue scooter off to the side.

Like I said, all I know for sure is what I saw, the rest was rumor. My prayers go out to those people involved and their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get travel insurance --

Check your policy. I know for Travel Guard you have to purchase a special 'rider' to be covered for potentially dangerous sports- scuba, mopeds etc.

heck, I try my best not to rent an automobile when I travel internationally....no way in heck i'm going to rent an ATV etc. Even the best recommended companies are nothing like we are use to.

I rented a car in Cabo one time and used the best rated most highly recommended company from another travel site...I had to trade the car out...I made them come and get it and bring me another one because the breaks were not good. The 2nd car was the same if not worse. They said they are all like that and blamed the hills. Gee, worn out brakes are okay? I don't think so! LOL. Nope, i'll hire a car/driver.

Everyone please be safe! At least have a really good insurance policy if you are foolish enough to rent these things in a foreign country. JMO,

I'm not starting an argument or anything but I am curious because I always wanted to hire my own driver. Do you check out the driver's car to see if his brakes aren't worn out? Just because its clean and doesn't have dents, how do you know a car is road safe?

Edited by lady_cruiser

Last cruise there were constant warnings from tour guides about renting atvs, jet skis, scooters. Most said flat out don't do it.

They ALWAYS say this............I think it's more about wanting pax to spend their $$ on ship-sponsored tours than spend it on anything other than the cruiseline. Of course, it is also dangerous when you get someone who may have never been on an ATV or scooter, may have been drinking, in a foreign country where they don't know their way around or know the driving customs.

They ALWAYS say this............I think it's more about wanting pax to spend their $$ on ship-sponsored tours than spend it on anything other than the cruiseline. Of course, it is also dangerous when you get someone who may have never been on an ATV or scooter, may have been drinking, in a foreign country where they don't know their way around or know the driving customs.

Might be some truth to what you say about the money. But when the locals (shopkeepers) tell you it's a bad idea, then you know it's a bad idea.

This is one in which I think they are just looking out for passengers. Does Carnival even offer a scooter excursion anywhere?

A few years ago we were on a cruise and met two guys cruising together. They rented scooters on one of the islands. Saw the one guy onboard after ship left and he told us his friend was on a scooter and was hit by a car. He was in the hospital with multiple fractures and a punctured lung. We offered for him to have dinner with us and go on islands with us, since he was alone. They were seated in the dining room next to us. We never saw the guy again....so sad

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure on the exact details, but it is true, there was a terrible accident and we drove right by it on our way back to the port.

We were told it was a car and 2 scooters involved which left a local dead (we saw him -- he was laying on the side of the road uncovered) and a passenger from our ship injured and in the hospital. We saw a silver car down in a ditch close by with the side bashed in, a white scooter in the middle of the road, and a blue scooter off to the side.

Like I said, all I know for sure is what I saw, the rest was rumor. My prayers go out to those people involved and their families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, unfortunately it's true. We were coming back from a scuba excursion the same day (we were on the Carnival Legend) and saw the same thing. Although when we drove by there were two bodies under the white tarp and fire truck and police were on the scene. Would really like to know what happened. We hear it was a tour guide (local) and one passenger who died on the scene and the other passenger was in critical condition. If you hear anything, please post. Sending prayers to their families! :(

Yes, unfortunately it's true. We were coming back from a scuba excursion the same day (we were on the Carnival Legend) and saw the same thing. Although when we drove by there were two bodies under the white tarp and fire truck and police were on the scene. Would really like to know what happened. We hear it was a tour guide (local) and one passenger who died on the scene and the other passenger was in critical condition. If you hear anything, please post. Sending prayers to their families! :(

I do not know how the accident took place but I do know that the tour guide died and at least one of the passengers was taken to the hospital where he too died. The young man lives in my home town -- RIP

I do not know how the accident took place but I do know that the tour guide died and at least one of the passengers was taken to the hospital where he too died. The young man lives in my home town -- RIP

Thanks for the update...keep them coming if you hear anything more. Have we heard anything about the third person involved?

Edited by wildrose42