Zip lining- which island has the best?

Rock_ON!!

I am looking into zip lining during my cruise on the Valor next month. The ports include: St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Martin. Which ports has the best zip lining for ages 9 to 50 year olds? How much time did it take from start to finish so we know if we can plan on doing more in port that day? Thanks in advance for your advice.

It's just a moment, this time will pass

We loved our zip lining in St Lucia with Treetop Adventures. There were I think 14 separate lines, and the guides were fabulous and used our cameras to take lots of pictures too. It was our first time zip lining, and we were very sad when it was over!

We loved our zip lining in St Lucia with Treetop Adventures. There were I think 14 separate lines, and the guides were fabulous and used our cameras to take lots of pictures too. It was our first time zip lining, and we were very sad when it was over!

Thanks for your reply! Anyone else have an opinion?

Not on this itinerary, but Labadee has the best I've tried . Long, fast, over water, everything rolled into a great adventure.

Thanks Jack, I'll keep that in mind for another cruise.

I am looking into zip lining during my cruise on the Valor next month. The ports include: St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Martin. Which ports has the best zip lining for ages 9 to 50 year olds?

We did the Valor this past December; didn't do a zip line since we did an island/country tour everywhere.

St. Thomas: Tree Limin' Extreme Zipline

Barbados: It's flat compared to the other islands and is most famous for its beaches. I would say, enjoy the beaches in Barbados and keep the zip lining for somewhere else.

St. Lucia: Might be your best bet since it is one big volcanic mountain island country. But again, here there are so many things to see and do. There are a few private tour operators who offer a island tour. They take you by van through the southeastern coast of the island stopping at banana plantations, island villages, towns, hill tops etc. Then to the (not-to-be-missed) live volcano with sulfur springs and mud bath. From there they take you by boat to the base of the Pitons for beach time and 90 mins later leave by boat for the ship.

St. Lucia might have the best zip line but I would recommend the island tour over that.

St. Kitts: Sky Safari

St. Maarten: Similar to Barbados, it has a few famous beaches. You want to check out Orient beach and definitely take in the planes at Maho beach.

Like a poster mentioned earlier; Royal Caribbean has a fantastic zip line on their private island of Labadee. You'd have to of course sail on RC to get there.

Dragon's Breath Zipline

Edited by hirent

The best Ziplining we have done is in St. Kitts. Not sure of the name of the tour, as it was on a Celebrity Cruise. Definitely worth the time and $$. There were several lines, and beautiful views, so take a camera with a strap! We have ziplined in Labadee also, and while it was fun, the St. kitts tour was more impressive. :D:D

Thank you hirent, verofrisch, and cruisinpips for your excellent advice. I will share this information with my family and traveling companions.

I am looking into zip lining during my cruise on the Valor next month. The ports include: St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Martin. Which ports has the best zip lining for ages 9 to 50 year olds? How much time did it take from start to finish so we know if we can plan on doing more in port that day? Thanks in advance for your advice.

In March, we did Sky Safari in St. Kitts (Carnival Excursion). We took the earliest excursion and we were back at the ship around noon. There was a training line and 4 other lines. This one has a no hands breaking system. I believe I read the one in St. Lucia has the system that uses the hands in the breaking system.

In the port section there is a great post that compares the 2 in great detail. my husband, who is a civil engineer, liked the construction/safety details better in the St. Kitts one but I am sure they are all very safe. We are older and the one in St. Kitts took you and your gear in a truck (bumpy ride) to the first line. There was only one time we had to carry our gear between lines and it was a short distance. The other times we and our gear were transported in the back of the truck where we rode on benches. The last line is a dual line where you can race someone you are with. We enjoyed this zip line. There a some remains of what was a sugar plantation on the site, if I remember correctly. They do have a website you can look at for details.

In March, we did Sky Safari in St. Kitts (Carnival Excursion). We took the earliest excursion and we were back at the ship around noon. There was a training line and 4 other lines. This one has a no hands breaking system. I believe I read the one in St. Lucia has the system that uses the hands in the breaking system.

In the port section there is a great post that compares the 2 in great detail. my husband, who is a civil engineer, liked the construction/safety details better in the St. Kitts one but I am sure they are all very safe. We are older and the one in St. Kitts took you and your gear in a truck (bumpy ride) to the first line. There was only one time we had to carry our gear between lines and it was a short distance. The other times we and our gear were transported in the back of the truck where we rode on benches. The last line is a dual line where you can race someone you are with. We enjoyed this zip line. There a some remains of what was a sugar plantation on the site, if I remember correctly. They do have a website you can look at for details.

Thank you so much for your advise. I had read about the hand brake system vs the non hand braking one. That may play a role in our decision as we will have a 9 year old with us who may feel more comfortable with the one in St. Kitts. Thank you again, this is why I love cruise critic.

We have also done the one in St. Kitts (as well as several other places not on your itinerary) and it was excellent! Safety was taken very seriously as was making sure everyone had a great time. Scenery was beautiful as well. Second only to Costa Rica.

We have also done the one in St. Kitts (as well as several other places not on your itinerary) and it was excellent! Safety was taken very seriously as was making sure everyone had a great time. Scenery was beautiful as well. Second only to Costa Rica.

Thank you cruzeluver. Do any of the zip lines allow for tandem riders? ( in case the 9 year old gets scared)

Edited by Rock_ON!!

My husband and I also did the Treetop Adventure in St. Lucia. With 14 lines, I don't think you will find a better zip line excursion than that one. I must admit it was a little strenuous for me and being in the rain forest with it's dampness, heat and humidity took its toll on me - but not my husband. I also had a difficult time coming in frontwards. I always seemed to turn backwards mid line.

They were very nice and helpful and gave detailed instructions before we took our first line. As I recall, it was reasonably priced as well.

St. Maarten: Similar to Barbados, it has a few famous beaches. You want to check out Orient beach and definitely take in the planes at Maho beach.

Like a poster mentioned earlier; Royal Caribbean has a fantastic zip line on their private island of Labadee. You'd have to of course sail on RC to get there.

Dragon's Breath Zipline

Just wanted to put this out there in case OP didn't know (I didn't), Orient Beach is on the French side of the island, so the right side of the beach (looking out to the ocean) is full nude, and the other 90% of the beach is topless. I didn't care for it, and just wanting to make sure if they parents are ok with taking the 9 yr old there.

I would love to try the zip line in Labadee, but isn't it like $80 for one long zip?

My husband and I also did the Treetop Adventure in St. Lucia. With 14 lines, I don't think you will find a better zip line excursion than that one. I must admit it was a little strenuous for me and being in the rain forest with it's dampness, heat and humidity took its toll on me - but not my husband. I also had a difficult time coming in frontwards. I always seemed to turn backwards mid line.

They were very nice and helpful and gave detailed instructions before we took our first line. As I recall, it was reasonably priced as well.

Thank you for your advice. Our friends (who have a 9 year old) and my family are deciding between zip lining in St. Lucia and St. Kitts. I'm already concerned about the heat because we will be there in mid- end of August.

Just wanted to put this out there in case OP didn't know (I didn't), Orient Beach is on the French side of the island, so the right side of the beach (looking out to the ocean) is full nude, and the other 90% of the beach is topless. I didn't care for it, and just wanting to make sure if they parents are ok with taking the 9 yr old there.

I would love to try the zip line in Labadee, but isn't it like $80 for one long zip?

Thanks for the warning. I did know about the Topless/ nude beach. We won't be going, although I'm sure my teenage son would love it!

Did you book thru the Carnival or on your own for St.Lucia? Is it tree top adventures that carnival uses ? I understand you can only book thru Carnival in St. Kitts. Thanks for everybody's help.

Did you book thru the Carnival or on your own for St.Lucia? Is it tree top adventures that carnival uses ? I understand you can only book thru Carnival in St. Kitts. Thanks for everybody's help.

We were on RCL and booked the excursion through them. It included a guide on the bus that showed us the highlights and gave the history of St. Lucia both going and returning to the ship. She also passed out all kinds of locally grown foods and treats available on the island. It was an excellent tour. Be sure to take plenty of bottled water as you will need to stay hydrated because of the heat and humidity. The price for bottled water at the site was expensive. Enjoy!

Not sure about your cruise, but I have found Costa Rica has the best, all natural & with 2 rappelling’s,