In Stateroom Dining

thriftycrafter

Do any of you have experience of dining in your stateroom?

Our wedding anniversary is while we are on board and we were wondering about eating alone.

We will be trying the alternative venues on other nights.

DH asks if we would have all the courses arrive at the same time, or order each separately?

Do any of you have experience of dining in your stateroom? Our wedding anniversary is while we are on board and we were wondering about eating alone. We will be trying the alternative venues on other nights. DH asks if we would have all the courses arrive at the same time, or order each separately?
Hi thriftycrafter,

Are you booked in Britannia grade, Princess Grill or Queens Grill?

Best wishes,

In the evening, parts of the Kings Court become extra-charge restaurants--$10 per person. You can book the time you want and request a table for two. We have had good meals in the Italian venue (it's been a while--but was good in the past).

Todd English is another option (a bit more expensive, but fancier).

Britannia cabins aren't that large ---maybe not the best space for having a special meal comfortably.

Have a wonderful voyage and Happy Anniversary!

Do any of you have experience of dining in your stateroom?

Our wedding anniversary is while we are on board and we were wondering about eating alone.

We will be trying the alternative venues on other nights.

DH asks if we would have all the courses arrive at the same time, or order each separately?

The room service menu is not the same as what is being served in the main dining room. I would go to one of the alternatives. You only have a small, low table in your stateroom.

imagejpg1_zpsbf45166e.jpg

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Thriftycrafter!

Sorry my reply assumed you would be on the QM2. The Verandah has a good reputation. Better, I've heard, than Todd English. DH and I haven't been on the Victoria, yet, but it's supposed to be very similar to the Queen Elizabeth, which we enjoyed.

Your balcony will only have a small table (if my memory is correct)--large enough for a couple glasses--not large enough for two dinner plates.

Not to worry: you won't have any trouble booking any of the alternative dining venues once you are onboard.

Thank you Scrapnana, it looks like an alternative would be the preferred option.

Are you a scrapbooker btw?

You are welcome. Yes, I am a scrapbooker.

I ate in my stateroom a couple of times when I wasn't feeling well. The room service menu is good but not really exciting for a special event. The Verandah was excellent. I had the filet for my main course.

imagejpg1_zpsf3a24f18.jpg

Britannia, have you tried all three?
No, only Britannia :) .

I asked because the room-service menu in Britannia is very limited and may not be suitable to everyone's tastes as a romantic meal for two, if that is what you intended (in the Grills you can choose from the restaurant menu for en-suite dining).

Added to which, as indicated above with a very helpful photo, the table in the cabin is hardly large enough for a "proper" meal (but large enough for canape, a snack, light meal, or drinkies).

My suggestion (as others have already suggested) is to book the Verandah Restaurant for your special occasion.

Have a great time, Bon Voyage! :)

Not wishing to put a spoke in anyone's wheel but I have eaten in the Verandah on both QE and QV and they are like chalk and cheese. The QE experience was stunning and probably one on the nicest restaurants that I have ever had, certainly at sea; conversely the QV Verandah was awful. At their invitation and as a result of a conversation that I had with a senior officer I met with the Hotel and F&B Managers. They explained that the QV version is not currently a mirror image of the QE as the man behind them all, Jean Claude Zimmerman wanted to ring the changes. It is a French restaurant that doesn't offer much in the way of French food and what it does offer isn't worth bothering with. I wouldn't put words in their mouths but my impression was that I certainly wasn't the first passenger to be dissatisfied with the meal and that they were desperately seeking an acceptable resolution to the matter that wouldn't upset Mr Z. This was in May this year.

Thank you everyone, particularly with the recent travellers, always good to hear what is happening currently.

Very helpful advice given, we'll plump for a better menu and larger table.

Always a pleasure to see people's pictures.

Scrapnana; I'd love to see any LO's (pages) you have on your cruises, do you have any online anywhere? I'm a scrapper too.

E.T.A; Just found the thread, Oh boy, a cup of tea and a happy time coming up.

Edited by thriftycrafter

Thank you everyone, particularly with the recent travellers, always good to hear what is happening currently.

Very helpful advice given, we'll plump for a better menu and larger table.

Always a pleasure to see people's pictures.

Scrapnana; I'd love to see any LO's (pages) you have on your cruises, do you have any online anywhere? I'm a scrapper too.

Not wishing to put a spoke in anyone's wheel but I have eaten in the Verandah on both QE and QV and they are like chalk and cheese. The QE experience was stunning and probably one on the nicest restaurants that I have ever had, certainly at sea; conversely the QV Verandah was awful. At their invitation and as a result of a conversation that I had with a senior officer I met with the Hotel and F&B Managers. They explained that the QV version is not currently a mirror image of the QE as the man behind them all, Jean Claude Zimmerman wanted to ring the changes. It is a French restaurant that doesn't offer much in the way of French food and what it does offer isn't worth bothering with. I wouldn't put words in their mouths but my impression was that I certainly wasn't the first passenger to be dissatisfied with the meal and that they were desperately seeking an acceptable resolution to the matter that wouldn't upset Mr Z. This was in May this year.

Thank you, Capnpugwash, for sharing this information and your experience. DH and I are considering a QV voyage and I did assume the Verandah on her would be identical to the Verandah on the QE. Chalk and cheese, hmmm? Scrapnana's photo suggests the filet might be a better choice than ordering the chalk. Or, since DH and I won't have a special occasion in that timeframe, maybe better to skip the Verandah until menu problems are resolved…

Thriftycrafter, the Verandah isn't the only choice for alternative dining. Less expensive and maybe better food will be available when a section of the buffet becomes a restaurant in the evening...

Thank you, Capnpugwash, for sharing this information and your experience. DH and I are considering a QV voyage and I did assume the Verandah on her would be identical to the Verandah on the QE. Chalk and cheese, hmmm? Scrapnana's photo suggests the filet might be a better choice than ordering the chalk. Or, since DH and I won't have a special occasion in that timeframe, maybe better to skip the Verandah until menu problems are resolved…

Thriftycrafter, the Verandah isn't the only choice for alternative dining. Less expensive and maybe better food will be available when a section of the buffet becomes a restaurant in the evening...

I think that you will find that Scrapnana was on QE. The word on QV was that Mr Z wanted it to be Verandah Light, well he only achieved Verandah S***e.

Edited by capnpugwash

I think that you will find that Scrapnana was on QE. The word on QV was that Mr Z wanted it to be Verandah Light, well he only achieved Verandah S***e.

Thank you for the further clarification, Capn…

Do you mind telling me how you felt about the Victoria, aside from disappointment in the Verandah? How do you think she compares to the Elizabeth?

Thank you for the further clarification, Capn…

Do you mind telling me how you felt about the Victoria, aside from disappointment in the Verandah? How do you think she compares to the Elizabeth?

I like both of them, QV seems a little less crowded because it has the Chart Room bar, the panelling and "wood" used on QE is much lighter in colour and she seems very much more art deco. If you look at my blog on my signature it will give you a further insight. My favourite ship remains QM2 though.

I like both of them, QV seems a little less crowded because it has the Chart Room bar, the panelling and "wood" used on QE is much lighter in colour and she seems very much more art deco. If you look at my blog on my signature it will give you a further insight. My favourite ship remains QM2 though.

Thank you for your description, comparing the two ships.

Of course, QM2 is our favorite as well---but, sometime, she doesn't go where we want to go : ( (We live in the US).

I felt a bit claustrophobic when first on the QE. The QM2 is so spacious in comparison. But, I adjusted and the "Cunandness" on the Elizabeth is apparent, which made me feel comfortable --in familiar territory.

I will visit your blog and thank you for alerting me to it, Capnpugwash!

Certainly dined in suite in QG a few times. Dining on the balcony in

Istanbul being one of the most memorable occasions.

You can choose from the Grills menu, not sure how it works in Britannia tho'.

The room service menu is hopeless for any sort of celebration/special occasion tbh.

You can choose from the Grills menu, not sure how it works in Britannia tho'.

Unfortunately, you can't, as far as I am aware, order from the Britannia Restaurant menu, you are restricted to what is on the regular room service menu, so not good.