Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

My husband has worn nicer shorts in the MDR on the last few cruises we took. We are going on the Allure in August and my Brother in Law says he is on vacation and will not bring a suit for formal nights. It shouldn't matter what you wear it doesn't change the experience as far as I am concerned. You will see people that will have on Black Tie attire on formal nights and others who just dress like any other night. It is your cruise to heck with the rest.:)

It doesn't matter what anyone on here says. Somewhere tonight on a Royal Caribbean cruise, Shorts will be worn since the rule isn't enforced. Some might find it rude, but shorts will be worn.

And somewhere tonight on a Royal Caribbean cruise someone, wearing shorts, will be denied access to the dining room because the rule is being enforced. It works both ways :)

And somewhere tonight on a Royal Caribbean cruise someone, wearing shorts, will be denied access to the dining room because the rule is being enforced. It works both ways :)

I doubt it, but ok.

Well this started out as your typical "shorts in the MDR" thread with the same illogical argumets, but veered unexpectedly into an argument over balcony sexy-time... so it at least gets points for originality :p

*slow clap*

I've seen it, and I'm not lying.

For the record I don't care what people wear.

Just curious, as I'm basing my perspective from my recent cruise on the Explorer. I saw shorts every single night. Even formal night. Did you see the person(s) getting refused on the Explorer?

Just curious, as I'm basing my perspective from my recent cruise on the Explorer. I saw shorts every single night. Even formal night. Did you see the person(s) getting refused on the Explorer?

I can tell you that on my last two cruises (the Freedom and the Enchantment) that I saw people refused entrance to the dining room for shorts, tank tops and in one instance a young man was required to remove his hat prior to entering the dining room. Specifically on the Enchantment we entered through the port side and each evening a head waiter was stationed and pulled aside people informing them of the posted 'rules'. In one case he informed the group that they could dine in the Windjammer or return in long pants. I am not saying that he caught everyone. I'm not saying what happened on the starboard entrance. I was in the main dining room so I have no idea what was going on in the MTD line. The happened every night and not just on 'formal' night. As always, on 'formal' night, the only 'enforced' dress requirement (as formal is just suggested) was the posted no shorts, no tank tops, no bathing suits, no hats... etc. I have no idea what they are doing on the Explorer.

It's not a dumb comment at all. For all the people who go on and on about following the rule, they completely ignore the fact that for a woman the only difference between a skirt and a pair of shorts is where the crotch is sewn.

It's not a dumb comment at all. For all the people who go on and on about following the rule, they completely ignore the fact that for a woman the only difference between a skirt and a pair of shorts is where the crotch is sewn.

I won't say it's dumb, but it's not a very strong argument. Because you're trying to explain an intangible concept like fashion in literal terms and it just doesn't work that way. Fashion is a cultural thing, and what is considered formal and casual is not as simple as where the seams are. Why is a dark suit considered more formal than a light colored suit? Who knows, it just is. Why is a full length gown considered more formal than a cocktail dress? Who knows, it just is.

Why does wrapping a tie, simply a piece of cloth, around my neck make my clothes more formal than not having it? Couldn't tell you, but it does.

The reason they allow skirts and not shorts (at least by the letter of their rule) is because skirts are considered more formal than shorts. Why is a skirt of the same length considered more formal than shorts? Who knows, it just is.

Yes, on my last cruise. I saw a guy get turned away at the entrance. I can't remember what the suggested dress was that evening but it definitely wasn't formal night.

Yes, on my last cruise. I saw a guy get turned away at the entrance. I can't remember what the suggested dress was that evening but it definitely wasn't formal night.

Did you have traditional or My Time Dining?

So if I wore a pair of black shorts that came right above the knee that wouldn't be ok to you, but if I wore a black skirt that came right above the knee that would be ok? The only difference is one is sewn in at the crotch.

I have to agree with you there...what's the difference? I bought 2 skorts for my upcoming cruise...problem solved! :D:D:D

When I was on Project Runway, we had this "saying" regarding shorts...

Shorts are shorts...NO matter what heels you wear with them, how many rhinestones you put on them, what top you wear...Bottom line they are shorts..Period, the end. Hense why there was that fashion trend that was very popular called "skorts". A combination of shorts and a skirt that gave women the option of having the safety of "shorts" with a skirt look.

Happy Sailing !

I was on the Freedom last week. Despite what the signage said about proper attire in the MDR, you can't believe how many men I saw in t-shirts and shorts on casual nights. I felt overdressed wearing a polo shirt, Dockers, and loafers.

So, I don't think it's an issue for women to wear "dressy" shorts in the MDR on casual night.

When I was on Project Runway, we had this "saying" regarding shorts...

Shorts are shorts...NO matter what heels you wear with them, how many rhinestones you put on them, what top you wear...Bottom line they are shorts..Period, the end. Hense why there was that fashion trend that was very popular called "skorts". A combination of shorts and a skirt that gave women the option of having the safety of "shorts" with a skirt look.

Happy Sailing !

I never understood why knee-length shorts on women can be inappropriate, while a mini skirt that is really, really short, is appropriate.

You can't ask a blind rule follower / someone with no critical thinking ability to explain anything to do with logic or rationality. A rule is a rule is a rule to them. Doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. If rule said jump off the ship, they'd do it because it was the rule.

The point is people DO want to do what they want, and aren't looking to infringe on anyone elses good time. If you can't have a good time because of what someone else is wearing, I guess I feel a bit sorry for you. People don't want to have their dress rigidly dictated by the company they are paying to take them on vacation.

Why is this like grasping quantum physics for some people? It's so plain and easy to understand.

I like you :D

Only if you complain

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lol yes! If you peer at me on my balcony and I'm enjoying it in a romantic way ;) I would think you would either giggle to yourself and have a good story to tell or think wistfully to the time when you would have been able to throw caution to the wind and be fun and reckless and reminisce. I don't, however, expect you to call the front desk and request a fainting couch because SOMEONE IS HAVING SEX OUT THERE!!! SEND HELP!! :rolleyes: For real, I would LOVE to hear the staff laughing after that phone call....

Edited by luckyprincess