Seeing Ruins with Limited Mobility

Don527

Hi All

Have a question on the ruins.

I am taking my parents on a cruise (leaving the rest of my family at home, so I could just have quality time with my parents). My dad is 88 and very limited on mobility (my mom has no mobility issues at all) and infact will probably rent a whelelchair for him.

On the 3 ruins, Altun Ha, Lamanai , or Xunatunch, is it possible either by a ship tour or private tour, to get to the ruins without too much walking and possibly pushing a wheelchair ?

I could just leave my dad under a tree or in the visitor center while I walked with my mom and brother (who is also going on the trip).

so are there any tours on the 3 ruins when you get off the bus (or by boat) close enough to a visitor center or a spot where I could push my dad by wheelchair to there, where he could possibly see the ruins and stay there ,while the rest of us walk around ?

Thanks for your help..... Don

I have done two of those Lamania and Xunatunch. Lamania is completely out of the question since it has a boat ride and long trails through the rain forest. Xunatunch is not too bad since it is pretty cleared out but is a pretty long drive there with a small river crossing on a hand cranked ferry. Altun Ha may be your best bet since it is close to belize city and rated the best for small kids and seniors.

Hi All

Have a question on the ruins.

I am taking my parents on a cruise (leaving the rest of my family at home, so I could just have quality time with my parents). My dad is 88 and very limited on mobility (my mom has no mobility issues at all) and infact will probably rent a whelelchair for him.

On the 3 ruins, Altun Ha, Lamanai , or Xunatunch, is it possible either by a ship tour or private tour, to get to the ruins without too much walking and possibly pushing a wheelchair ?

I could just leave my dad under a tree or in the visitor center while I walked with my mom and brother (who is also going on the trip).

so are there any tours on the 3 ruins when you get off the bus (or by boat) close enough to a visitor center or a spot where I could push my dad by wheelchair to there, where he could possibly see the ruins and stay there ,while the rest of us walk around ?

Thanks for your help..... Don

Don one other thing to consider -- getting on and off the bus. I am 20 years younger than your Dad but I have on occasion had great trouble with that high step! Some have a stable stool some do not. Also consider the availability of shade/cooling spot. Sometimes the bus driver shuts down the engine and there is NO AC or you must leave the bus -- serious for your Dad's health. Have seriously good travel insurance in case you need transportation off the ship or away from the little islands where there is not the health care that an elder may need. It's OK for Dad to enjoy those things that he can safely and in comfort and to allow the others to go off to explore while he enjoys the ship or additional rest time. Mobility issues take a lot of energy when the body is stubborn and won't just work that well. Have a great trip and make lots of good memories.