Barcelona SOS Mediterranean Greek Isle Cruise w/Paris and Copenhagen Review

Oh my - what a fabulous write-up on your day in Santorini!!!! Every time I think your last stop was the best, you review the next day's adventure and that trumps the earlier one....lol!

I have never been to Santorini, so maybe that's why I especially enjoyed this section. Your photos are stunning (as usual!!!!)

A couple of things really stood out for me in this post:

1. Your description of why you didn't want to ride a donkey.... OMG, I was cracking up!

2. When you told us about grabbing the guy on the cable car....haha! I wonder what went through his mind in that split second :eek::D

3. The description of the kids being "churched out." I remember when I first went to Europe (in my early 20s), I was so into the churches at the start of my cruise, by the end.... no sure much. I wasn't even excited about seeing St. Peter's at the time (we were staying 2 days in Rome after the cruise)... I mean, it's just another church, right? Well, obviously, I was eating my words once I saw it and realized it was far from just "another church"...lol!

4. Your description of having to wait in the tender for 25 minutes until you could get to the ship made by stomach lurch just reading it.... I HATE when I have to wait in a tender like that when it's bouncing around....ugh!

5. Finally, a question.... the little blue doors in the cliffsides.... where do they lead? Are those people's homes or are they used for some sort of storage? :confused:

Keep up the great review! :D

Melissa

Oh my - what a fabulous write-up on your day in Santorini!!!! Every time I think your last stop was the best, you review the next day's adventure and that trumps the earlier one....lol!

I have never been to Santorini, so maybe that's why I especially enjoyed this section. Your photos are stunning (as usual!!!!)

A couple of things really stood out for me in this post:

1. Your description of why you didn't want to ride a donkey.... OMG, I was cracking up!

2. When you told us about grabbing the guy on the cable car....haha! I wonder what went through his mind in that split second :eek::D

3. The description of the kids being "churched out." I remember when I first went to Europe (in my early 20s), I was so into the churches at the start of my cruise, by the end.... no sure much. I wasn't even excited about seeing St. Peter's at the time (we were staying 2 days in Rome after the cruise)... I mean, it's just another church, right? Well, obviously, I was eating my words once I saw it and realized it was far from just "another church"...lol!

4. Your description of having to wait in the tender for 25 minutes until you could get to the ship made by stomach lurch just reading it.... I HATE when I have to wait in a tender like that when it's bouncing around....ugh!

5. Finally, a question.... the little blue doors in the cliffsides.... where do they lead? Are those people's homes or are they used for some sort of storage? :confused:

Keep up the great review! :D

Melissa

Wait until we get to Salerno!!!! And Paris!!!! Thank you.:p

I'm sure the next second he was concerned about what his wife was thinking, haha. I apologized and she was fine (still upset at him for teasing here about heights and the cable car).

Yeah, they changed their tune quick in Paris. I thought of you when writing the part about the tender. It was kinda rough and I wondered if they only did it so people could get back on the ship.

There are many doors like this that open to nothing. Sort of used like a window and some are to homes that are not lived in so you can't open them and some are to pathways to hotels and homes.

Thanks!

Ayasha, I found your review through Melissa's thread. What an amazing trip!!! I love that you gave your kids so many diverse experiences rather than "just" dragging them from one historical site / church / museum to another.

I also really like your conversational writing style - it really makes me feel like I'm on the cruise with you. We did this itinerary 6 years ago, and it's fun to relive it. (Nice thing about antiquities, they don't change much.)

And inquiring minds want to know...how do you know Greek?? :D

Ayasha, I found your review through Melissa's thread. What an amazing trip!!! I love that you gave your kids so many diverse experiences rather than "just" dragging them from one historical site / church / museum to another.

I also really like your conversational writing style - it really makes me feel like I'm on the cruise with you. We did this itinerary 6 years ago, and it's fun to relive it. (Nice thing about antiquities, they don't change much.)

And inquiring minds want to know...how do you know Greek?? :D

Melissa is great!!! Her review is hysterical and suspenseful at the same time. Thanks, they would have not been happy if that was the case and a total waste of my hard earned money.

Wow, that's great! From what you have read what differences in places do you see?

:D I used to run a surgical practice in a city where the majority, like 97%, of the residents were greek, including the doctors I worked for. Most of the older patients only spoke greek or chose to speak it to the majority greek staff and doctors so I picked it up there. Many patients thought I was greek and when they found out I wasn't made me an honorary one. I felt that same love in Santorini.

Sorry guys, I got carried away trying to plan a birthday girls getaway, so no post tonight but definitely tomorrow. It will be very long as I am doing the sea day and all our adventures in Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

Fantastic review we are taking the 7 day Greek and Turkey cruise on Splendour next year so your reviews are really helpful.You have done a great trip for your kids I am taking my DH and DD who will be 9. I am a great believer in travel it certainly broadens your horizons. I can not wait for the next instalment :D

Hi Ayasha!

We've enjoyed reading your review. It's almost like being there. Well, actually we were. I saw Jo Ann in one of your excellent photos. You did a great job lining up the tours, and we thoroughly enjoyed each one. I'm glad that we were on the same cruise. We'll be looking forward to the next chapter of the review.

Regards,

David & Jo Ann

Fantastic review we are taking the 7 day Greek and Turkey cruise on Splendour next year so your reviews are really helpful.You have done a great trip for your kids I am taking my DH and DD who will be 9. I am a great believer in travel it certainly broadens your horizons. I can not wait for the next instalment :D

Thank you. You all will have a fantastic time! I agree! My children are definitely better because of it. Working on the next one now!:D

Hi Ayasha!

We've enjoyed reading your review. It's almost like being there. Well, actually we were. I saw Jo Ann in one of your excellent photos. You did a great job lining up the tours, and we thoroughly enjoyed each one. I'm glad that we were on the same cruise. We'll be looking forward to the next chapter of the review.

Regards,

David & Jo Ann

Thank you! You guys sure were! Lucky us you joined some of our tours. Did you get the pictures I emailed?

Writing it up now!

We are now up to Day 10 of the cruise, Sea Day, and Day 14 of our vacation. We, well Ciera and I, didn't sleep in as late because we were given back that extra hour they took from us a couple of days before. We headed for breakfast in the MDR. Shout out to David and Jo-Ann, I believe we sat next to you at breakfast that morning! We both found breakfast in the MDR to be less desirable than in the WJ. It seemed really blah and boring. That's the best way I could describe it.

Ciera decided she was going back to the room to take a nap....more on that in a bit. I didn't write down what I did and from what I see on the cruise compass I didn't attend any of their events so I probably just walked around and took everything completely in. I know I did go by the cabin right before lunch to see if any of the kids were still there. Although I knew Ciera would be, 18 yr old M.O.. Yep, there she was tv on and laying under the covers. Nope, not today! I first tried to briefly encourage here to get up and out of the cabin then I opened all the curtains turned on all the lights and stood over her with the ice cold water from the melted ice in the ice bucket. That seemed to do the trick!

I told her she didn't have to do anything specific but she wasn't going to lay in bed in the cabin all day today and I took her sea pass. I am hardcore, lol. So of course she hates me know, not know but then, and says she will just get another sea pass, yeah I bet (she knows what's good for her), and storms off. Looks like I'm off to lunch!

I saw Bonnie's crew waiting to be seated and we all had lunch together. This was the funniest lunch I had the entire vacation. Bonnie and I ordered the lamb skewers, I believe it was lamb if memory serves me, and they were first made of minced meat, and second so hot I could barely eat it so we had to order something else. Now for the best part! Another member of or party, not me, who shall remain nameless didn't sea anything they were interested in on the menu and asked if the kitchen could make him a grilled cheese. Of course they could! So when the food is brought out they bring out the "grilled cheese". LOL! It is 2 toasted pieces of bread with 2 regular slices of cheese in the middle. Ha! Cheese slices straight from the fridge. Basically it was a cheese sandwich with toasted bread. I really wanted to take a picture of it. It was quite unbelievable.

I then watched the MOB dance practice for cruises in the Centrum and walked around like I did in the morning. I did stop to play the penny machine for a spell as well. Then I ran into Ciera around 3-3:30 and gave her back her sea pass so she could wash her clothes and hair before dinner.

We all met at dinner and things returned to our normal scheduled programming. The servers in the MTD portion of the MDR do not sing and dance like below as they are always turning tables over like in a restaurant. I don't know if I mentioned this before but we where seated right behind a serving station at the window. I always felt rushed (they did not rush me) because of the service station with all the waiters and assistants rushing around. I wouldn't give up our seats as they were prime location for sunsets at sea and watching the landscape and sea go by but just an FYI to others whom may be more than just a little bothered by this.

Ciera and I continued our normal nightly routine of viewing the art gallery, stopping by Cafe-Lattitudes and enjoying everything the ship had to offer. At 10 was the Centrum aerial show Aquatronica and it was amazing!!!! Best Centrum show! Right after that was the last night for Karaoke to qualify for a spot on the final one held on sea day in the Tropical Theater. So of course we headed there. Final stop of the night as always Park Cafe and then off to the cabin.

A few pictures then up next Port of Salerno!!!!

Hello Ayasha,

Can you please tell me if Santorini was taking US dollars in the souvenir shops?

Hi Zales!

Not that I know of but I wouldn't as I had euros. I can say that I say all the pricing in euros but that doesn't mean they wouldn't take USD.

Basically, I said all of that to say I do not know. Lol

I'm loving your review thanks so much for doing it as I've just said to Kirian , your posts helping relive a lovely cruise we took a few years ago As my DH has just reminded me I wasnt

very good on that cable car in Santorini either :D

Hi Ayasha!

I just found your review last night and I am loving it! Love your writing style and your pictures are beautiful!

I have a question about your experience on the Hop On Hop Off bus in Barcelona. I rode the HOHO bus in Chicago and a guide gave a narration of the city. Is this the same in Barcelona? If so, was it in English? Thank you!

This is an amazing review - thank you very much for all your work!

You learned GREEK while working in a surgical office!!! You must be a genius - I bet you learned how to be a surgeon too!!!! :-)

Cheers,

Jayna K

This is an amazing review - thank you very much for all your work!

You learned GREEK while working in a surgical office!!! You must be a genius - I bet you learned how to be a surgeon too!!!! :-)

Cheers,

Jayna K

That was my thought, too!:eek::D I work in a hospital in Phoenix with a heavy Mexican population, took 4 years of Spanish in high school, plus a year in college (that was a few years ago, admittedly) and I still can't carry on a conversation, although I can read Spanish fairly well. But just pick it up? No way!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

I'm loving your review thanks so much for doing it as I've just said to Kirian , your posts helping relive a lovely cruise we took a few years ago As my DH has just reminded me I wasnt

very good on that cable car in Santorini either :D

Thanks! Did you grab your own husband at least, lol?

Hi Ayasha!

I just found your review last night and I am loving it! Love your writing style and your pictures are beautiful!

I have a question about your experience on the Hop On Hop Off bus in Barcelona. I rode the HOHO bus in Chicago and a guide gave a narration of the city. Is this the same in Barcelona? If so, was it in English? Thank you!

Hi Cool Cruiser!

Thank you! There is an automated recording that plays as you are passing by things and places. You have the option of many languages at each seat including British English or American English. No problem!