Juneau- Alaska State Museum Closed

slider728

If this is a repeat, I apologize. I don't remember seeing it on the forum.

I was thinking of taking the kids to the museum today after breakfast next door at The Prospector and found the museum is closed until 2016.

Just thought I'd give people a heads up in case they were unaware.

I've mentioned this closure several times on this board (i.e., "what to do in Juneau" type of threads), but no one has started a thread dedicated to this topic.

The ASM is moving into the new SLAM facility, which will combine the state archives, library and museum into one facility. If all goes well the ASM hopes to be open in late spring of 2016, but in the meantime the collections are essentially being hand carried into the new facility. Moving a large museum collection is quite the process and so it is hard to actually predict when the move will be completed.

I work for company that tests, adjusts, and balances commercial HVAC systems. We'll be working on the new SLAM (State Library Archive Museum). The construction is being broken up into two phases. Phase 1 is a vault that all the displays will be moved into from the old facility. Phase 2 is tearing down the old facility and building the new facility around the vault. We've been down working on the vault already and may be done there.

There's been a lot of change orders on the project, which can sometimes lead to delays down the road. Everyone keeps insisting that all the deadlines will be met, but I'm doubtful.

The new facility is going to be really, really nice.

• 4 months later...
If this is a repeat, I apologize. I don't remember seeing it on the forum.

I was thinking of taking the kids to the museum today after breakfast next door at The Prospector and found the museum is closed until 2016.

Just thought I'd give people a heads up in case they were unaware.

I'm starting to plan excursions for my 2015 cruise. Oh well, I'll just have to take another trip. ;) Hopefully there won't be delays and SLAM will open as scheduled May 2016. http://museums.alaska.gov/asm/asmhome.html