Adventure vs. Independence transatlantic

Hi everybody,

We're considering doing a transatlantic on one if these ships and any advice you could give us would be great!!

Adventure has the best itinerary (IMHO), but it's older and has fewer venues and I've been reading less than stellar reviews about her condition (in terms of both ship itself and staff).

Independence is a bigger and newer ship so probably has more to do on it + from what I've read it seems like it's in better condition. The itinerary is pretty good, but goes to fewer ports than Adventure and has more sea days one after the other.

We've only been on the Radiance and the Allure and loved them both.

Thanks for your input! :)

Hi everybody,

We're considering doing a transatlantic on one if these ships and any advice you could give us would be great!!

Adventure has the best itinerary (IMHO), but it's older and has fewer venues and I've been reading less than stellar reviews about her condition (in terms of both ship itself and staff).

Independence is a bigger and newer ship so probably has more to do on it + from what I've read it seems like it's in better condition. The itinerary is pretty good, but goes to fewer ports than Adventure and has more sea days one after the other.

We've only been on the Radiance and the Allure and loved them both.

I haven't been on Adventure so can't really comment on her condition etc.

I have been on Indy twice in the last year and will be doing the TA this November which will be her last as she is leaving Southampton permanently then for a life in the US/Caribbean I believe. I love Indy, lovely ship and crew :)

When were you thinking of doing the TA?

Probably not a big deal for most passengers, but I love the flowrider and the Adventure does not have one yet. Easy choice for me...the Independence all the way.

Thanks so much for the quick responses!! :)

When were you thinking of doing the TA?

We're considering joining you :) The ship looks great and the ports are great, I'm just hesitant about so many sea days in a row, whereas on the Adventure TA there broken up between ports.

Probably not a big deal for most passengers, but I love the flowrider and the Adventure does not have one yet. Easy choice for me...the Independence all the way.

We both don't surf on the flowrider, but we do like watching people surfing (and wiping out ;) )

Thanks so much for the quick responses!! :)

We're considering joining you :) The ship looks great and the ports are great, I'm just hesitant about so many sea days in a row, whereas on the Adventure TA there broken up between ports.

It will be the first time we will have done a TA with so many sea days in a row but I consider this a blessing as a) we can rest and relax and really switch off as I find the port days more tiring and b) we really get to enjoy the ship and all it has to offer :)

Although only having limited experience of TAs as only done 2 (1 westbound on Liberty and 1 eastbound on Adventure this year) personally would lean towards Independence as she is the same class as Liberty and I enjoyed that better than Adventure.

I think Indy has more specialty restaurants, if that is appealing to you. Does either have a retractable roof over the Solarium? I forget which ship classes feature that--I am a big fan, and TA weather is unpredictable, so I would be looking at that. Have fun researching and planning! I think TAs are great!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi everybody,

Which dates/itinerary? I think you're at the mercy of weather and the staff....

I did Indy TA, weather was just ok with not a lot of warmth and not a lot of pool/relaxing outside weather. The staff was not overly full of spunk nor were there many events throughout the days at sea even though many turned out to be inside days. OUt of 20+ cruises, sadly this one in is my bottom 5.

My TA on Adventure was another story... awesome itinerary incl Funchal and the Canaries, superb staff, great weather, lots of events, met superb people on board, exciting ship with plenty of Latino culture on board (so great night life), the parades and parties very well attended, etc. This cruise is in my top 5 ever.

The next poster after me will tell you the exact opposite! Personally, Indy (Freedom Class) is a stretched version of Adventure, and Voyager Class is my favorite size... has all the WOWs needed (ice rink, 3 tier MDR, Royal Promenade, helipad, etc etc)

Whichever you choose have a awesome cruise!

I'm doing my first TA this year on Indy and I was worried about so many sea days in a row however fellow cc are arranging plenty to do and even have a website running specificity for this TA I'm becoming super excited now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think Indy has more specialty restaurants, if that is appealing to you. Does either have a retractable roof over the Solarium? I forget which ship classes feature that--I am a big fan, and TA weather is unpredictable, so I would be looking at that. Have fun researching and planning! I think TAs are great!

Indy does have more food venues than Adventure, but they both have the same open Solarium.

I did an eastbound transatlantic last year on Adventure and had a great time. Loved the ship, the staff, the food, etc. It was my first cruise on Royal Caribbean, although I'm an experienced cruiser. We had five sea days in a row, and there were plenty of things to keep me busy!

I'll be joining the above posters who are doing the T/A in November on Indy, and can't wait to try out that class of ship. I agree with hairymelon that there will be plenty to do on those sea days, even if the weather isn't the best. We will have days once we reach this side of the Atlantic where the weather will be warm, plenty of time for outside stuff. If the weather is bad coming across, there'll be plenty of time for me to finish my Christmas knitting :D!

Beth

Have done TA on both ships this year we are going on Adventure TA this year reason ports of call. I would also fact in the Inde is likely to take a more northern transit across with 9 straight sea days on leaving the UK.