Water-Tastes good? or Avoid at all costs?

triciasrv

Water served at the bars/buffet/MDR and in the ice makers has been filtered additional times, and has no taste.

Water in bathroom taps, including cabins, still has a trace of chlorine, which keeps germs down, but adds a slight taste. Sodium chlorine breaks down quickly to salt water, so it is perfectly safe, just a little more tasty. (That's why it is safe to use bleach on food surfaces)

For me, as long as it's COLD, I don't taste a thing.

It really depends on the water you currently drink in everyday life. I stick to either bottled or filtered water, can't stand tap water. My first couple of cruises I racked up quite a bit in bottled water since I drink a ton of it. Now I take a Brita filtered bottle and have no problems whatsoever. Highly recommend it and the filters last forever.

I am a BIG water drinker!! I agree that the ship's water tastes ok...however, we have usually brought bottled water on the ship with us for ports and to drink on the ship.

On our 2012, we did not bring bottled water and DH's and my ankles swelled up. This past cruise we had water delivered to our room and our kids' rooms. No swelling at all this time.

I don't drink water from the tap at my house. We use a zero water pitcher. Even make ice with it. I can't stand to taste chemicals in my water.

So I always lug bottles on board and I always run out - so I end up drinking some of the ships tap stuff. Only time we had an issue was with the Fantasy last summer. Just tasted off.

I mix my water with lemon juice - so I guess that disinfects it a little. We've been thinking of just drinking the ships on tap stuff on our next cruise.

eta: anyone tried the DROP water filter thingie?,,,,,,,just wondered how it tastes? Guess I will just order some water and have it delivered. I thought I was swelling because of something I ate,,,,,,after reading other posts - it's prob the water.

Edited by tbbtravels

In an attempt to find better health, I have given up soda and other sugary, delicious drinks. I do not drink coffee AT ALL. Does the water on the ships taste good? Or should I bring on some Crystal Light type drops to get me through?

I make herbal tea, let it cool, and drink instead of just water.

It hasn't been the water that bothered me it's that Lemonade it has such a acidic taste and doesn't agree with my acid reflux. I bring the water drops or kool-aid packs and add them. Along with my Bubba Keg, it makes my trips to through the obstacle course or juice lines easier. Great investment that doesn't take up much space in my luggage.

I find it funny how people say they won't drink tap water only bottled water. Sorry, but bottled water is tap water. The only difference is bottled water is filled at the tap, then trucked all over the country and stored in warehouses before you drink it.

I also swell like a puffer fish from the water. Almost to the point where my clothing is uncomfortable and I feel I gained 10 pounds. And that's after day 1, so I didn't actually overheat yet. This cruise I am buying the bottled water from Bon voyage. I'll still have water in the mdr and of course from ice, cooking, frozen drinks, etc. but it should cut down on my swelling. At least I hope!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I filter my tap water at home. Florida water is not cold from the tap and has a funny taste. I fill my Brita pitcher and leave it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

The swelling would be very upsetting as I am attempting to get in better shape. I will definitely bring water on board. I will also bring my handheld Brita filter bottle.

Thank you all for the input!

In an attempt to find better health, I have given up soda and other sugary, delicious drinks. I do not drink coffee AT ALL. Does the water on the ships taste good? Or should I bring on some Crystal Light type drops to get me through?

I drink the water and it tastes fine to me! At first I would only get the water from the dispenser on the Libo, but after thinking about it, realized it is the same as the water in the cabins. I sill tend to get it from the Lido since I want ice with it.

The water on ships is tested daily to meet stringent standards. The CDC inspects each ship twice a year (I believe.) Here is a link to the CDC's Vessel Sanitation Program. Reading that might make you feel better.

Enjoy your cruise! John

Usually the water is good.

But not always.

I drink the ship's water.

I also bring on some bottled water and chug at least one bottle a day.

I have dealt with swelling onboard.

If I skip the soups and foods that I know are salt laden, then I do much better.

I like that Mongolian Wok, but I have to skip the sauce.

After I had that my eyes were really swollen.

Edited by mzloolue

I find it funny how people say they won't drink tap water only bottled water. Sorry, but bottled water is tap water. The only difference is bottled water is filled at the tap, then trucked all over the country and stored in warehouses before you drink it.

Like. We have been swindled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Water served at the bars/buffet/MDR and in the ice makers has been filtered additional times, and has no taste.

Water in bathroom taps, including cabins, still has a trace of chlorine, which keeps germs down, but adds a slight taste. Sodium chlorine breaks down quickly to salt water, so it is perfectly safe, just a little more tasty. (That's why it is safe to use bleach on food surfaces)

For me, as long as it's COLD, I don't taste a thing.

Not to be nit picky, but bleach is actually sodium hypochlorite. While it is a generally safe disinfectant, it does not break down into salt water. Salt water is formed from sodium chloride bonded with water. Sodium chloride and sodium hypochlorite are similar, but not the same thing. (I've spent way too many years studying chemistry

As for the swelling that a lot of people have mentioned, it's likely a physiological response to the heat. The superficial blood vessels expand slightly to try to cool the body. For example, I have always noticed that in the summer, my watch is slightly tighter than it is in the winter. This swelling has nothing to do with the quality of the water on board the ship, however, it is likely exacerbated by the amount of alcohol consumption (which is a diuretic) and by the fact that most of us overeat (and most of the food has higher than normal amounts of salt). I do not mean to dissuade anyone from buying bottled water (I can see its convenience while lying in the sun), but rather, I wish to point out that it's extremely unlikely that intermittent swelling is instigated (or even effected) by the tap water on a cruise ship.

I found the Legend water disgusting last year (In Europe) but I hate the tap water in most places as I come from a Derbyshire village where the water is as soft as anything. Theres a place up the road that sells bottled water from the natural springs there.

We had thought ahead and bought sugar free cordial to dilute in water which was good.

I hate the chemical type tastes in water. At home I have a britta bottle for plain water drinking, on the ship I pay for the bottle they supple in your room. I tried the water on both Fantasy and Fascination and it wasn't terrible, but it just had that taste I couldn't get over.

We are sailing on the Legend on July 20, so anyone that has recently sailed that ship, I would love to hear from you.

Thank you!!!!

The water is just fine. I bring a couple bottles of Dasani and when they are empty I fill them with the ships water on Lido. I also bring packets of Crystal Light (raspberry lemonade) for lunch with lots of ice and water. Tastes good and no calories!

We drink the water and have no problem with it. We also bring insulated cups with us and packs of crystal light. This way we can make lemonade etc. We never buy or bring bottles water with us.