Rate questions

jenifferf00

I recently booked a cruise for my husband and myself for all the way in 2016. I booked a past guest rate, which was $80 total more than the early saver. Reason being is that the rate is 100% refundable, we have 2 kids who will not be sailing with us this trip, and this far out anything can happen. I know as we get closer if the rate goes down and we become comfortable with a non refundable deposit we can cancel and rebook at the new rate as long as it's before our PIF date.

So I just want to make sure I am understanding all of this, and that I haven't just heard what I want to. Also do prices tend to trend up or down when booking this early? Thanks!

Jen

I think price trends depend on the ship. I booked early saver in January for an October cruise on Fantasy. Prices have been climbing steadily and some categories are sold out. I do not expect a drop at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently booked a cruise for my husband and myself for all the way in 2016. I booked a past guest rate, which was $80 total more than the early saver. Reason being is that the rate is 100% refundable, we have 2 kids who will not be sailing with us this trip, and this far out anything can happen. I know as we get closer if the rate goes down and we become comfortable with a non refundable deposit we can cancel and rebook at the new rate as long as it's before our PIF date.

So I just want to make sure I am understanding all of this, and that I haven't just heard what I want to. Also do prices tend to trend up or down when booking this early? Thanks!

Jen

Hi Jen. It sounds like you have a good strategy based on your situation. You could always rebook as an early saver rate as you get closer to sail date too.

Guessing pricing is like trying to use a crystal ball. Pricing was down last year but has been climbing this year. IMO Carnival has been pretty optimistic in their pricing. It seems to me like they are testing the waters to see what the market will support. Pricing overall seems fairly steady until final payment date arrives, and then the best deals appear as rates with cabin guarantees where those booked with early saver cannot price match to those lower rates. In this environment, speaking in very general terms, it appears to me that the best prices continue to be closer to sail date for those willing to let Carnival pick their cabin for them.

Gosh! Who knows what the market will look like in 2016? I'll bet Carnival would like to know the answer to that question too. Lol.

Have a great cruise!