Mobility problems - Iceland Golden Circle tour

PNEFan

Hello, we're sailing on RCI BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS. transatlantic from Harwich 31/8.

We're interested in the Golden Circle tour in Iceland but my husband has limited mobility and struggles to walk more than 200 metres.

Can anyone confirm if he will be able to cope with the Golden Circle itinerary - how much walking can we expect. He really wants to do this excursion but are worried the walking required will be too much for him.

Many thanks

Hello, we're sailing on RCI BRILLIANCE OF THE SEAS. transatlantic from Harwich 31/8.

We're interested in the Golden Circle tour in Iceland but my husband has limited mobility and struggles to walk more than 200 metres.

Can anyone confirm if he will be able to cope with the Golden Circle itinerary - how much walking can we expect. He really wants to do this excursion but are worried the walking required will be too much for him.

Many thanks

No one on this forum can say for certain if your husband will be able to do handle the walking involved with the excursion. You need to take in consideration the walking/activity level associated with the description of the tour as posted on RCCL's website . When you click on the walking icon it states:

"Full participation may require extended periods of walking over even and uneven surfaces, steep terrain and/or water activity in a slight current. There may be steps, inclines, cobblestone surfaces, and extended periods of standing. Participants with physical limitations should take this into account. "

Many thanks

When I did that crossing, they would not allow persons with mobility issues to book that tour unless you fully understood that a majority of the time, a person with mobility issues would be stuck on the tour bus if they could not negotiate the rough terrain. I would not waste the money on that tour.

I have been on that tour 3 times and each time it was slightly different. We stopped at different places and it was during different seasons. It would not be an easy tour for a disabled person. In order to see the waterfall or the geysers you must walk quite a distance on rocky paths plus (in the case of the waterfall) a lot of stairs. If he was content to just watch the scenery from the bus and visit the shops it might work out okay.

There is also the issue of getting on and off the tour bus as there will not be anyone to assist.

This is getting to be more and more of an issue with cruise line tours.

An alternative may very well be to book a private tour and see what you can see and do.

I went on that same cruise on the Jewel. Our roll call booked several independent excursions. One was in a van, and one on a bus. If you can get the van tour it will be much easier on you. Any chance of bringing a wheelchair? It might be a little bumpy, but at least you will get to see a lot more. I hope you get to go on this excursion. It was really great. Have a great cruise. Many people repeat this transatlantic every year.