Just off B2B Sunshine and Breeze - Anyone else like the Sunshine better?

#1TravelMom

We just returned from back to back on the Sunshine and the Breeze. We had VERY LOW expectations for the Sunshine after reading many reviews. I am happy to report, we saw no buckets or dripping water and never smelled a sewage odor.

Our cabin on the Sunshine was actually quite a bit larger than ours on the Breeze. The buffet and Main Dining Room menus were virtually identical on both ships. The movies and entertainment were VERY similar or exactly the same. I will keep this in mind for future B2B planning. Normally, when we do B2B, we do 2 different cruiselines.

The buffet layout is MUCH better on the Sunshine. There are small individual stations instead of one massive, long line. The food was very good on both ships. There were steaks on the buffet one evening. I know Carnival is not known for it's steaks, but these were delicious - I would never have tried steaks on the buffet - but, lady was back for seconds and told me how good they were. She was right - I was pleasantly surprised.

The 80's rock show on the Sunshine is spectacular. I couldn't sing on pitch to save my life - so not judging - but I usually think cruiseline singers are just okay. But, the 2 lead singers in this show were outstanding. He hit the really high notes in "Dream On" by Aerosmith and she was incredible as well.

We really like the Breeze, but it felt as crowded as the Sunshine at the pools. It has one more pool but also had 1000 more passengers. My husband would give a slight edge to the Breeze because he loves dodgeball and volleyball tournaments(His team won 1st place last week in both). He is mid 40's but very active. He totally laughed when the 20 year olds could hardly move their arms and were limping around from dodgeball.

The staff was extremely friendly on both ships. The Breeze is showing some wear - there were quite a few stains on chairs and carpets and scratches and chips on woodwork. Nothing horrible, just noticeable. The waterpark on the Sunshine is nicer. One extra slide and the small slides are bigger. We liked the Thrill theater and Fat Jimmy's, but didn't really miss them on the Sunshine.

Overall, we had a great time on both ships. Unless specific things(dodgeball, volleyball, the spa, Fat Jimmy's, Thrill Theater, etc.) are very important to you - they feel VERY much like the same ship. I really thought the Sunshine would feel much smaller, but to us - it didn't. We are not picky, but do like good food and appreciate friendly staff and good entertainment and activities. Both ships delivered. I wouldn't hesitate to book either again. I know people really rave about RCCL Allure, but we would choose either of these ships over the Allure. Our DD9 agrees!

If you are a future Sunshine cruise, hopefully my comments will put you at ease. I know we went expecting that we may be disappointed - but willing to give it a chance. So glad we did!

I appreciate the review! I've sailed on Destiny and have been seriously considering sailing on Sunshine as a result, but there's been some hesitancy (like you mentioned because of reviews). I have yet to spread my wings and check out any other cruise lines - yet :D

We are going on the Sunshine in May. I was a little skeptical at first. Most of the complaints I have read are the same across the fleet. Service is bad, smell of sewer. Really crowded. We always make the best of our vacations. I never let what I read bother me. I just know what to expect & then I am not disappointed. Cannot wait to go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums