Ports of call on Hawaiian cruises

Phillip Toddy

Hello All

My wife and I are cruising on Norwegian Wind from 16 November 2005 and are wondering about activities in ports of call.

On past cruises in Asia, we have sometimes found that it is better to just go ashore and make our own way around, catch local transport etc. Among other things that way we avoid standing around waiting while others endlessly shop.

Has anyone any information on these ports, how to get around without being on an organised tour and, importantly, where to obtain (maybe download) street maps and the like.

Any tips from those in the know would be greatly appreicated.

Best wishes

Phillip (and Mrs) Toddy

Maui is an easy island to drive around on. I suggest renting a car. We did. ($60 total for a minivan from Alamo) They pick you up and take you back to the ship.

Be careful in Kauai, lots of road construction and if you are on your own and are late, the ship won't wait. If you are on an NCL shore excursion, the ship waits for late groups.

We did NCL tours in Hilo, Kauai and one day in Maui. Not many people shopped. Just pick the right tours! They shore excursions should be posted on NCL's website.

The best advice is to read these boards. Most people who come over to the boards have the same questions you do. Youre right about getting off the ship and in this instance, renting cars....Hawaii is very easy to get around.

Good luck with your research.

(beachchick here)

I'm with Suebee. Search this board and read, read, read. There is a wealth of information on the ports, excursions, activities, public transit, and renting cars.

If you still have questions after that, please do post them and the most helpful locals will no doubt help you.

beachchick

Get the Hawaii Revealed books (one for each island). They are the most detailed and insightful books about Hawaii. They have many maps at many levels of detail. The books are about $15 each. Very good investments to maximize your use of time at port.

Here a link to a sample map from the Maui Revealed book.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/maupg044.html

Get the Hawaii Revealed books (one for each island). They are the most detailed and insightful books about Hawaii.

I agree - these are the best guidebooks ever. I was able to find them in my local library. I planned an itinerary for 4 couples on a Wind cruise. We ended up renting minivans in each port for about $45 and had a great time exploring. Being a state, Hawaii is easy to get around on.

Archived