Splendor - Behind the Fun Tour

laurged

The BF and I are going on the Splendor in November. He's a big ship buff, and a cruise virgin so I really would like to take him on this. We are arriving pretty early so I'm not too worried about not getting spots, we should be fine in that regard. Just wondering if anyone has done it lately on the Splendor, when they normally hold it, and what kind of stuff they show?

I took this tour last month , as soon as you board the ship go to the excursion desk and buy tickets , they go fast since they only sell 2 groups of 16 tickets each .

we met in the library on the last sea day at 8:30 AM , we singed in and gave the guide our tickets , we also had to give up cell phones and cameras since these are not allowed on the tour. ( they check you with a metal detector ).

We walke thru some crew only decks and went to the crew only hot tub break area .

went into some lower deck areas like the laundry , food storage areas , freezers , recycling areas .

We went to the bridge and met the Captain and the bridge crew ( pictures were taken with the Captain )

Toured the main galley , and also the galley areas behing the dining rooms , also saw the crew cabin areas , crew lounge and crew dining rooms , and training areas , went to the engine control room , we did not get into the actual engine room .

tour ended in the steak house , we were given a tote bag , cap , lanyard at the end of the tour , delivered to our cabin was a plate with several desert items on it , and later in the evening the photos that they took were dropped off in our cabin .

this tour is very good , especially on the larger ships .

there is a large amount of walking involved and it takes about 3 1/2 hours to complete.

Tour is $95/pp, and like Gary said, book it as soon as you board. We thought it was worth it. Like he mentioned above, you can't take them so just leave your camera and cell in the cabin safe...you will be wanded and asked to surrender them. Also, you must wear closed-toed shoes...comfy sneakers are recommended as you'll be walking a good bit.

Lots of climbing and descending very steep steps into the lower parts of the ship. We also toured the laundry facilities and saw how a sheet goes from the washer (wet) and into a folding machine and comes out dry and folded. We also got to see where they keep the waste until they offload it. I loved it! They allowed us to ask questions and it really gave us an idea of what it takes to run the ship 24/7

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Watch the signage on the walls in the crew areas, above the water line they have Green exit signs with arrows pointing the way. Once your below the water line the signs wording changes to Escape.

All in all a very enjoyable look behind the curtains on how the ship operates

Just did it on July 6th on the Splendor.

Met in Library (Deck 4 Atrium) at 8:15 for 8:30 tour. Juice/Coffee/Pastry available. No Cell Phones/Cameras/iPads or any recording devices. No open toe shoes or flip flops. States that on the envelope with the tickets and yes four people had cell phones and one i-Pad that were taken away and given back at the end. Security will wand you before you start the tour.

We went directly to the bow, group picture taken with Ship's Bell in background. Did the same on the Glory but her bell is on the bridge. We got some story about no one is allowed to ring the bell.... anyway...

From Bow went to the Female Dressing Room then back stage. Then to the bridge. Captain spend a lot of time with us. Group shot as well as "party" shot with Captain. Stopped in front of medical but it was not on the tour, then to the laundry, watch folding machine in action. Then Engine Control Room, a lot of questions on the low sulfur fuel. Then to the Human Resource training room (Tour leader was assigned to HR) to sit and see pictures of a crew cabin. We did not see an actual crew berth only pictures.

Then to Crew Lounge where again Juice/Water/Coffee/Pastry. ONLY Restroom stop. The head of HR for the ship came and answered question.

Then to the recycling area (a.k.a garbage room), then to area of store rooms. Went into beer/soda refrigerator and ice cream freezer. Then went to Galley area not main gallery as Brunch was still going on. Went to Cold Galley (prep area for salads/fruit) and then bakery. Met Head Sue Chef not Executive Chef.

Then went to Steak House Galley, met Steak House Chef, they pushed the Steak House. Set down for juice or mimosa filled out survey got string bag and hat.

In cabin was a plate of deserts. At dinner Tour host gave us the photos.

A LOT OF WALKING, up and down STEEP CREW Stairs. There is a reason the navy calls stairs LADDERS, they are steep and shorter then a normal stair.

Different from the Glory two years ago, we met the Executive Chef, saw gallery, door to morgue and brig. Went to where they printed all the photos, saw interior of life boat. Also got chocolate covered strawberries in cabin with the pictures. Otherwise same as Splendor.

FWIW..

I take it this tour can only be booked on board, and not online ahead of time? It really does sound interesting. Will look to do it when I'm on the Splendor next year! :)

Can ONLY be booked on the ship. You can go to the Shore-X Desk when they open and/or some ships the Purser, err I mean Customer Service but they will be VERY BUSY during embarkation with people setting up cash accounts, getting extra room keys etc.

They actually put you on a list, take your information. Unlike some other excursions bought on board you DO NOT get your tickets when you sign up. They will be sent to the cabin. There are usually two groups of 16 MAX last sea day hence the list as they want to balance the groups.

From what I'm told.

FWIW

Can ONLY be booked on the ship. You can go to the Shore-X Desk when they open and/or some ships the Purser, err I mean Customer Service but they will be VERY BUSY during embarkation with people setting up cash accounts, getting extra room keys etc.

They actually put you on a list, take your information. Unlike some other excursions bought on board you DO NOT get your tickets when you sign up. They will be sent to the cabin. There are usually two groups of 16 MAX last sea day hence the list as they want to balance the groups.

From what I'm told.

FWIW

Thanks for the info! Will definitely check it out once on board.

totally worth the 95 bucks!! myself and my mom did it(she left pretty early on not feeling good)... we went straight to the excursion desk upon embarkation... what everyone said above.. :-) and yay for a mimosa at the end!! woo!

they ended up refunding my moms tour to her and we did not even ask.. she figured since she took someones spot she was out the money (wasnt a big deal)... but the main tour guide who did all the talking and his assistant Inu was there to make sure no one straggled behind.. she was SUPER SWEET!!!! she took care of mom, brought her to the doc to make sure nothing serious was going on.. and she still got her bag o'goodies..

enjoy your tour!!:)

The BF and I are going on the Splendor in November. He's a big ship buff, and a cruise virgin so I really would like to take him on this. We are arriving pretty early so I'm not too worried about not getting spots, we should be fine in that regard. Just wondering if anyone has done it lately on the Splendor, when they normally hold it, and what kind of stuff they show?

We are hoping to get the Behind the Fun tour on the Splendor Repo on Nov. 1st. We have Faster to the Fun so we will board right after the diamond and platinum. We will go right to the shore excursion desk. Do we have a good chance being early enough to book it?

• 7 months later...

From what I'm told.

FWIW

Sorry ... I know this is an old thread but I am looking for verification at whether to go to the excursion desk or the main customer service desk.

Also if there are two groups are they staggered as in an early and late group?

This looks awesome!

Sorry ... I know this is an old thread but I am looking for verification at whether to go to the excursion desk or the main customer service desk.

Also if there are two groups are they staggered as in an early and late group?

This looks awesome!

I would try Shore-X desk first and then wait on line at Customer Service, both desks take the names on most ships. In the past I've done it at both desk on the same ship different voyages but it could have changed.

Its only 30 minutes difference in the time of the two tours. Agian they try to balance out so you may not get the time you ask for. It's like 9am and 9:30a. They visit the same areas just a different order.

FWIW