Rome

slhw

I have done 2 tours of Rome from a ship. The Celebrity one was a "panoramic" coach trip which had a good guide and was well organised. The major sites accessible to be seen from the coach were good (you can't get to some of the sights by coach) My only real criticism of that particular Celebrity trip was that it only allowed 45 mins at St Peter's Sq at the end of the tour. 45 minutes is neither use nor ornament am afraid and it is causing us a problem on a forthcoming trip as the majority of the tours say "strenuous" leaving only this "Panoramic" trip. I am now looking into independent travel to Rome and using the HOHO buses.

I have usually found the ship's tours to be good. There is good information so you can plan and find tours to suit. I have also done visits independently when I have felt able... I admit to being a little nervous at tackling Rome (I have osteoarthritis and my daughter also has mobility problems) but I know my daughter would love time in St Peters so I have to get organised!

We've done the "Rome the Eternal City" ship's tour twice. First time in 2007. We liked it a lot so when we cruised with some friends a few years later who had never been to Rome we recommended it to them and went along for a second trip.

Here is a link to our photos which also has a brief review and description of the tour:

We love Celebrity but tours offered by the cruise line are generally expensive. I would suggest taking the train to Rome at a fraction of the price of a Tour offered by the ship. Around 20/25 euros per person would get you to Rome round trip and you would have the whole day to yourself.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Depending on what you want to do/see in Rome its may be worth knowing that lines for attractions can be long but tickets may be purchased on line before you go - hence helping to avoid the lines.

Depending on what you want to do/see in Rome its may be worth knowing that lines for attractions can be long but tickets may be purchased on line before you go - hence helping to avoid the lines.

I believe you can buy timed tickets in advance for some places. There are postings about this in the Cruise Critic Italy port of call forum. Also believe that if you arrange a tour with a licensed guide who will accompany you into the area (much different from many of the private tours discussed here on CC where all you get is a knowledgeable driver) then the guide can get tickets that bypass the general lines. I know on the ship's tour we walked right past the long lines at the Vatican and the Coliseum and the guides were very helpful and gave commentary through radio headsets they passed out which made communication among the large crowds possible.

We did "Rome on Our Own" because I wanted to climb to the top of St. Peter's Dome and to see inside the Colosseum and not do drive by's but I imagine many cruisers are NOT going to climb the 320 steps to the top of the Vatican. If you do a tour, make sure it goes inside the Colosseum. A drive-by is a waste.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain