Sailing in Dec-any difference from other times of year

finallyfree

I prefer traveling in dec. It can be so hot in the summer that its not worth it. Taking tenders can be unbearable in the summer months. And also once you board ship before sailing can be quite pleasant on deck in dec. Last time we sailed in June out of Miami, up on deck was like an oven. We couldn't even eat lunch. The water will be cooler on the islands, but its worth it to be able to enjoy the air temperature as well.

I forgot to add, that's the main reason we cruise in the winter - it's quite chilly here in St. Louis so we love to treat ourselves to a week in the warm Caribbean. The only hard part is coming back - after spending a week in 80 degree weather, it's hard to come back to 20 degrees and snow! You will also find better rates in the winter - $499/person for our balcony room thanks to my fiance's military discount!

And December is one of the months when you don't need to be concerned about possible tropical storms, depressions, or hurricanes! We cruised last December, and plan to again this December. Our last day was rainy as we headed back to Tampa but the seas were fine.

Enjoy!

Thanks for everyone's info. Does it tend to get cool on deck while at sea, in dec? I get cool easily. Glad to hear the sea is relatively calm that time of year. Does anyone know if the water temp flucuates much in Western Carrb. I've been there in late March & June but don't know how cool the water might be that time of year.

One thing to remember...because your itinerary is in the Northern Hemisphere, the sun comes up later and goes down earlier...just like at home, so fewer hours of daylight. However, the weather is GREAT!! It's not too hot or humid. I did a Christmas cruise on HAL out of Port Canaveral, and at sailaway, it was really cold!! But, when we did our Western itinerary (Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman), the weather was wonderful! It's just that the sun started to go down about 4 p.m. or so.

Dec,Jan. and Feb are great months to go south either Eastern or Western. We found the water is a tad bit "cooler" than summer months but you'll get over that quickly. I'm talking a few degrees. It's also a good bet you will have less "kiddies" cruising with you those months which for many makes for a more enjoyable cruise.

Archived