Price Drop

Belfastlad

My 'fourpenneth'.......

We are yet to embark on our first P & O cruise. Should have sailed last year, but had to cancel due to illness. That cruise was booked as a Vantage fare last year, and we were aware of all the passenger complaints that the system was causing. When it came time to re-book, we were by then aware that the Select System had been brought in to redress the situation, and we were happy to book a Select Fare and choose our cabin, dining etc. We have no problem whatsoever with 'last minute' bookers getting super price drops - we know what we signed up for, and don't expect that price match. It does take the shine off our P & O experience however, to find that if we had booked our Select Fare 3 months later, we would have been given double obc which could have resulted in us receiving £1,080 :eek: Yes, we did ring P & O, yes, we were polite, and yes, we were told they had the right to do this sort of thing. OK, so they have the right - the pointed out T & C's bore this out. BUT, in taking this attitude, they have alienated this future customer, and anyone who cares to listen to my advice on booking cruises. I will not cruise on P & O again until I feel they treat their early bookers fairly. A 'goodwill' offer to someone who had paid in excess of £6K for their 14 night cruise might have sufficed, but they honestly don't care once they have your money. And I won't be cruising on any of the lines owned by Carnival either. It would be a pointless move for me to stay away from P & O and move over to Cunard - same overall company. So in future, my business will be moved over to Carnival's rivals. End of rant !! Off to church now.:)

How do we know they make good profit on select fares and barely any profit on savers.

If you have £100pppn as your benchmark, some cabins on some cruises come in at nearly half that, so very very little profit there.

I never discuss what I paid for a cruise at the dining table. Too boring....now politics is a good discussion.

Since select fares are always higher than saver fares I would have thought this was obvious, which you seem to conirm with your second sentence.

You might not discuss cruise pricing but there are lots of other people that do.

I still maintain that P&O could treat early bookers better and thus give much better customer service.

Edited by terrierjohn

Since select fares are always higher than saver fares I would have thought this was obvious, which you seem to conirm with your second sentence.

You might not discuss cruise pricing but there are lots of other people that do.

I still maintain that P&O could treat early bookers better and thus give much better customer service.

Not always. There is a cruise in April 2015 from Dubai on Arcadia, 18 days, where the saver fares for inside and outside cabins are more than the select fares for the same type of cabins.

Edited by BalkanCruiser

Not always. There is a cruise in April 2015 from Dubai on Arcadia, 18 days, where the saver fares for inside and outside cabins are more than the select fares for the same type of cabins.

I suspect that is more likely to be a cock-up by P&O's infamous IT dept. Clearly even an idiot would not pay more for a saver fare, although perhaps one or two of the P&O chearleading team on here might do.:rolleyes:

I suspect that is more likely to be a cock-up by P&O's infamous IT dept. Clearly even an idiot would not pay more for a saver fare, although perhaps one or two of the P&O chearleading team on here might do.:rolleyes: