Sitka Boat Tour Recommendations

Koali

We'll be in Sitka in early September. It's a new port for us so we're interested in getting recommendations on boat tours. I saw a few listed here and compiled against Trip Advisor. I would appreciate any feedback or other recommendations. The rates are relatively similar and we would prefer smaller groups on the boat.

Gallant Adventures

Sitka Wildlife Tour

Esther Sea Taxi

Aquatic Alaska Adventures

Sitka Sound Tour

Allen Marine

I HIGHLY recommend Gallant Adventures. We've gone out with Paul several times now and each time was both different and amazing. I don't see how any other outfit can be better. You will see unbelievable wildlife up-close and personal and have a great time while doing it! Every trip with Gallant Adventures has been the highlight of each our Alaskan vacations.

I HIGHLY recommend Gallant Adventures. We've gone out with Paul several times now and each time was both different and amazing. I don't see how any other outfit can be better. You will see unbelievable wildlife up-close and personal and have a great time while doing it! Every trip with Gallant Adventures has been the highlight of each our Alaskan vacations.
We feel exactly the same way about Captain Davey of Esther Sea Taxi, a very knowledgeable and personable Sitka guide, and highly recommend him.

The last time he took us out in his boat, we got very lucky and had an amazing experience surrounded by a pod of grey whales, in addition to the wildlife usually seen there.

He takes you to see the sea otters and puffins, and out to the bird colonies at St. Lazaria Island.

Others who have used different independent tour operators in Sitka probably feel the same way about the ones they chose.

I have never seen or heard anything bad about any of the independent small boat operators in Sitka.

If Captain Davey is filled up the day you want to go, he will recommend another tour operator to you.

Allen Marine is the company that is usually contracted by the cruise lines for their own tours. We went with them once in Sitka on a tour booked through the cruise line.

They used a larger boat that was crowded with passengers jostling for position at the rail whenever wildlife was spotted, something that did not appeal to us at all and that does not happen on the smaller boats.

But for people with disabilities or mobility problems, or those traveling with small children, the large boat may be preferable as it gives a more stable ride, accommodates wheelchairs, and has more comfortable seating and more room for children to move around.

It just depends on which features are important to you.

Edited by fleckle

We loved Gallant Adventures as well . Paul mentioned that the operators work together , helping each other find wildlife etc.

Sitka is so charming , by far our favorite port.

Some images from our recent trip ( Westerdam , June 21) with Gallant Adventures.

y8edydem.jpg

Whare Tail

8uga7y7y.jpg

Otters

azaqabyh.jpg

Starfish

pamesuzu.jpg