Any cheaper parking options in NYC?

barbaraanne

I have to think you are joking with us

If not well then your suggestion is scary! Lol

Fwiw some here must actually think you are serious

But nay nay. Not me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in NY, so yea, I am 100% serious.

Snowstorms are not as frequent as last winter.

Leaving a car on a wrong side of the street, as long as you are not in Manhattan, only gives you $45 ticket. And this ticket is for parking on a street cleaning side. Majority of streets are cleaned once a week. For example, where I live, my side is cleaned on Thursday and opposite is on Friday. If I leave the car there up to 13 days, I will get $45 ticket that I can pay over the web.

In Manhattan, you can be towed for even walking away from your car for 5 minutes. I used to work on 38 between 5th and 6th and constantly kept telling tourists that they cannot park there, not even meter parking. Some chose not to listen and had to go to impound to collect their car.

NYC does not tow cars unless they are parked illegally in Manhattan, or owe more than $350 in tickets.

There are also off-airport parking options. I am in Europe now (returning from NCL Epic cruise) and dropped a car off at offsite parking in Newark airport. After all taxes and fees, from July 4th to 14th, total price is $83. But I only did this so I can drive myself home after I land. If I am flying out of JFK or LGA, I usually drop my car off in Sheepshead Bay. My father, once kept his car there for 8 months without moving it or encountering an issue.

Don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

Edited by Meanee

LOL plus $185 tow and $20 per day storage. getting a car back from the TOW pound is a hassle.

Only if you illegally park in Manhattan below 96th street or run up $350+ in unpaid parking tickets.

I see you are in upstate NY. I suggest you google "cruise express" from a capital district TA. For $90 pp RT you can take their bus service direct to and from the port and park your car for FREE.

Edited by shepherdqueen

Only if you illegally park in Manhattan below 96th street or run up $350+ in unpaid parking tickets.

not true. all of NY city is a tow away zone.

if you park illegal(except over time parking at a meter) you are subject to tow any where in the city.

http://parkingpal.com/crash-course/chapter-4/

they don't always tow for street cleaning but they might.

btw they don't always tow for too many tickets in judgement either. lately they have been booting those cars....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/booting.shtml

Edited by smeyer418

not true. all of NY city is a tow away zone.

if you park illegal(except over time parking at a meter) you are subject to tow any where in the city.

http://parkingpal.com/crash-course/chapter-4/

they don't always tow for street cleaning but they might.

btw they don't always tow for too many tickets in judgement either. lately they have been booting those cars....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/booting.shtml

The ticket tow is only when local marshal decides to earn some money. I've seen it a number of times. Goes through a block, checking plates vs his list and grabs whatever car can be legally towed. I do not see it too often. I think towing vs booting is a neighborhood thing. Friend got booted recently for tickets, and I observed towing not far from my house.

But I am yet to see, in over 20 years of living in NY, someone getting towed over alternate side parking. Not saying it can't happen, but I never seen/heard of it. Only towing by NYPD traffic enforcement that I saw were hydrant, bus stops, and usual non-commercial plates in commercial areas.

I see you are in upstate NY. I suggest you google "cruise express" from a capital district TA. For $90 pp RT you can take their bus service direct to and from the port and park your car for FREE.

I agree this is a very good and economical way to do it. We did this on our Breakaway cruise last September. Taking the Yankee Trails cruise express you park at the Bus Station (in a safe area) for free....once you have your luggage loaded onto the bus you won't see it or handle it again until it is delivered to your cabin on the ship.

We intend to do this any time we are sailing out of NYC.

The only down side is you won't be able to spend any time in NYC (either pre or post cruise) using this service if that is something you wanted to do.

The ticket tow is only when local marshal decides to earn some money. I've seen it a number of times. Goes through a block, checking plates vs his list and grabs whatever car can be legally towed. I do not see it too often. I think towing vs booting is a neighborhood thing. Friend got booted recently for tickets, and I observed towing not far from my house.

But I am yet to see, in over 20 years of living in NY, someone getting towed over alternate side parking. Not saying it can't happen, but I never seen/heard of it. Only towing by NYPD traffic enforcement that I saw were hydrant, bus stops, and usual non-commercial plates in commercial areas.

You cannot seriously suggest to a person from Utica to park in Brooklyn can you?

Good for you to know all the regs of NYC parking but your suggestion is not realistic for a person from Utica so you must be joking. At least I hope so

My previous post suggesting parking at the new Rochelle metro north was half joking

And while NYC winter snow was indeed unusual last year since this op is from Utica. Aka the "real" upstate not the Long Island upstate thinking lol the op would be wise to get into NYC 24 to 48 hours earlier by public transport. If course that can be decided a day before and if the weather is ok to drive and park at the pier because if its incredible convenience and they want to leave at 3/4am on the day of the cruise then that's great but I personally would have a hotel in jersey booked if they are going to drive

And a hotel in NYC booked if they are doing public transport.

Non prepaid rooms of course

If you want to be a complete penny-pincher, and have some time to spare, try this.

Drop everyone off at the port, pretty early. Drive over to Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, and you can park on the street for free. Tons of parking and no street cleaning. Take the Q train to 47th street and cab to the pier.

I park there all the time when I go on a trip. No tickets and free parking.

Seriously?

Do they seriously charge $35 just to be dropped off? Did I read that right?

there is no charge to be dropped off. This I know to be true. Can't park of course and probably 5 minute drop off time before they start to wave you along.

Edited by luvtheships

[quote name='shepherdqueen']I see you are in upstate NY. I suggest you google "cruise express" from a capital district TA. For $90 pp RT you can take their bus service direct to and from the port and park your car for FREE.[/quote]

Does anyone know if they offer discounts for kids?

[quote name='Neene0311']Do they seriously charge $35 just to be dropped off? Did I read that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]
The $35 charge for drop-offs is for people who want to park their car temporarily (up to 10 hrs) while they drop off their passengers and help them with their bags and/or assisting them with getting into the cruise terminal.

[quote name='Neene0311']Thanks. Has anyone taken the ferry from weehawken and then walked to terminal? Is it a safe walk? Debating this idea since I'm going out the morning of the marathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]
I would say that the walk from the ferry terminal up 12th Ave is perfectly safe. It might not be the easiest walk if you have a lot of luggage but it's not that far (roughly half a mile).

[quote name='Rufferto']Does anyone know if they offer discounts for kids?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe so..their site says $90.00 per person with no mention of reduced rates for children, seniors, etc.

we parked at port imperial last year, took the ferry over and then walked to the pier. It wasn't far for us but if I had persons with mobility issues, small children or it was really bad weather we had planned to grab a cab. I heard it would only be around $10 from the ferry to the pier.

We will do the same for our September cruise.

[quote name='barbaraanne']We are taking a 12 day cruise on the Breakaway in February...looking for a decent option other than the $40/day parking at the pier?[/QUOTE]

From upstate the cheapest and one of the easiest would be to park at Metro-North station. e.g. Poughkeepsie or White Plains. Parking is well under $10 a day and you avoid any traffic. The train is also much cheaper than the NCL bus if slightly less convenient with the transfer.

[quote name='jfried8']In August we will be parking at Port Imperial as well and taking the ferry over... Easy as pie!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

We are most likely going to be doing this same thing in October.