Flight and post hotel questions

travgurl

We chose our flight with a nice 90 minute connection by paying a deviation fee. Just before we left, HAL decided it was a good idea to change us to a one hour connection as a favour to us to get us into Copenhagen on an earlier flight. When I protested I was told that it would cost a few hundred dollars to change back to our original flight so I went along with it.

That was in 09 and I still couldn't tell the story of our Frankfurt experience without it devolving into a rant so I won't go there. Suffice to say it was a nightmare experience.

Our HAL nightmare was in Frankfurt, as well. We were taken by bus to the back entrance---where the planes are loaded. Since we were the last ones on the plane, the gate agent insisted we give them our carryons---which held our medication and jewelry! My brain was too fried to think about where to put items to be removed. They probably wouldn't have let me, anyway. Now, I have a lightweight tote in the side pocket, in case that happens again. And, our luggage didn't make it to Istanbul, but did arrive hours later.

The way HAL does air now is pretty simple. It's nothing like before. My reservation was online at Delta within minutes of purchasing it through HAL.

I can't say that I've ever seen HAL hotels in an inconvenient location. Or any other cruiseline, for that matter. They know people who book their hotels are NOT as independent, so they require something centrally located. They are grossly overpriced, however!!

But.....I don't care!! When we go on vacation, I don't want to think!! I don't want to save money. I want HAL or whomever to do it for me. That is what makes it a vacation for me. Someone else will figure it out for me! For some people, it's an adventure to find an interesting hotel and arrange for transportation. I'll do that in the U.S. I have no problem doing our air and hotels here, but that's where I draw the line. If I had someone to do it for me, that would be another case. Unfortunately, it's on me. I am perfectly happy to line up on the bus, whether it's a shore excursion or a transfer. Luckily, we don't have to budget, at this stage of the game. It's only money. Overpaying is not going to affect me in anyway other than my peace of mind. There are people who think nothing of paying for a Neptune, yet they will worry about paying too much for air or a hotel. In the end, it's what makes you happy. We all have our priorities.

I tend to agree with you about booking Hal hotels in some respect. That said, usually in Fort Lauderdale they put you in the westin on corporate avenue. It's in the boonies. I finally booked my own hotel in Fort Lauderdale last time but the cabbie scared the heck out of me. He took me down deserted streets and didn't turn on the meter. I thought to myself, this is how I'm going to die. Then people wonder why I don't like taking a cab there :rolleyes:.

I tend to agree with you about booking Hal hotels in some respect. That said, usually in Fort Lauderdale they put you in the westin on corporate avenue. It's in the boonies. I finally booked my own hotel in Fort Lauderdale last time but the cabbie scared the heck out of me. He took me down deserted streets and didn't turn on the meter. I thought to myself, this is how I'm going to die. Then people wonder why I don't like taking a cab there :rolleyes:.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. I think Dave wondered what the heck I'm reading! I have booked the Renaissance independently near the cruiseport in Ft.Lauderdale. You would be OK there. It was all main roads from the airport! I hope I am brave like you when the time comes....to do it on my own. I have met lots of women who even do land tours in Europe. My friend is going to India on her own (but on a tour) and is already in a panic.

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. I think Dave wondered what the heck I'm reading! I have booked the Renaissance independently near the cruiseport in Ft.Lauderdale. You would be OK there. It was all main roads from the airport! I hope I am brave like you when the time comes....to do it on my own. I have met lots of women who even do land tours in Europe. My friend is going to India on her own (but on a tour) and is already in a panic.

I was actually staying at the embassy suites so pretty close to the airport. He was upset because he told me about ten times that I should be taking the hotel shuttle. The last thing I want to do is stand and wait for an hour so I could get a free shuttle. Stuff like this is what I don't like about traveling alone. Otherwise I love it! I was married for many years and to be honest I have a better time alone or cruising with others that I've met before.

I was actually staying at the embassy suites so pretty close to the airport. He was upset because he told me about ten times that I should be taking the hotel shuttle. The last thing I want to do is stand and wait for an hour so I could get a free shuttle. Stuff like this is what I don't like about traveling alone. Otherwise I love it! I was married for many years and to be honest I have a better time alone or cruising with others that I've met before.

If he took you on deserted side streets to get from FLL to the Embassy Suites then he was taking you for a ride to pad the bill. It should be up Rte 1 all the way to 17th Street which is where the hotel is. Next time insist on that route.

Our HAL nightmare was in Frankfurt, as well. We were taken by bus to the back entrance---where the planes are loaded. Since we were the last ones on the plane, the gate agent insisted we give them our carryons---which held our medication and jewelry! My brain was too fried to think about where to put items to be removed. They probably wouldn't have let me, anyway. Now, I have a lightweight tote in the side pocket, in case that happens again. And, our luggage didn't make it to Istanbul, but did arrive hours later.

The way HAL does air now is pretty simple. It's nothing like before. My reservation was online at Delta within minutes of purchasing it through HAL.

The lightweight tote is a good idea. I'll file that one. Thanks.

If he took you on deserted side streets to get from FLL to the Embassy Suites then he was taking you for a ride to pad the bill. It should be up Rte 1 all the way to 17th Street which is where the hotel is. Next time insist on that route.

There was no padding to be done. He didn't have the meter on. Frankly, I think he was trying to save on gas. I'll be going to the riverside next time and I'm pretty sure it's further out so they shouldn't be so put out:rolleyes:.

There was no padding to be done. He didn't have the meter on. Frankly, I think he was trying to save on gas. I'll be going to the riverside next time and I'm pretty sure it's further out so they shouldn't be so put out:rolleyes:.

The difference should be less than $5 unless you hit a lot of lights on Federal Highway (US Route 1.) If you see the beach on your cab ride, you are being cheated.

I was surprised to find out that the HAL pre cruise hotels were out west. We only used them once and the hotel was the Hyatt Pier 66. Of course that was 11 years ago.

The difference should be less than $5 unless you hit a lot of lights on Federal Highway (US Route 1.) If you see the beach on your cab ride, you are being cheated.

Thx for the tip even though I do enjoy seeing the beach:D.

I was surprised to find out that the HAL pre cruise hotels were out west. We only used them once and the hotel was the Hyatt Pier 66. Of course that was 11 years ago.

I like the hyatt pier 66 very much. I would be happy there. Hal may have more centrally located hotels but you'll need to take a mortgage out to stay at them.

Edited to say that I just looked at the Hal hotels in Fort Lauderdale for my cruise. In addition to the westin in the boonies they have the harbour beach marriott for $274 and the hilton Fort Lauderdale marina for $227. Those are single rates. I think those hotels would be more central?

Edited by cruz chic

I just remembered that I was at the hyatt place last time not the embassy suites. That said, they are fairly close together. That's what I get for taking a day off today. Less brain function than usual.

Edited to say that I just looked at the Hal hotels in Fort Lauderdale for my cruise. In addition to the westin in the boonies they have the harbour beach marriott for $274 and the hilton Fort Lauderdale marina for $227. Those are single rates. I think those hotels would be more central?

The Hilton Marina is on the intracoastal, opposite the Hyatt. The Hyatt's location is nicer IMHO. The Marriott Harbour Beach is on the south end of the public part of South beach (Fort Lauderdale's South Beach, not to be confused with Miami.) Both of those hotels are closer to the port than the other HAL hotels. But if you are just spending the night before the cruise, it probably doesn't matter.

Yes the Hyatt Place is in behind the Embassy Suites and it would be quicker to turn off Rte 1 just before the Comfort Inn and take the little side street down to the parking lot. I can see it now. When we stayed at the Comfort Inn years ago we walked down that street to get to the Outback and it was lonely even in the daytime.

I forgot to quote you Cruzchic but this is for you.

Edited by sapper1

FLL cabbies, the vast majority Haitian, are notorious for taken their customers for a ride. Even on the ride from Port Everglades to FLL, which is pretty much a straight on affair, they have been known to find a longer route with detours

The Hilton Marina is on the intracoastal, opposite the Hyatt. The Hyatt's location is nicer IMHO. The Marriott Harbour Beach is on the south end of the public part of South beach (Fort Lauderdale's South Beach, not to be confused with Miami.) Both of those hotels are closer to the port than the other HAL hotels. But if you are just spending the night before the cruise, it probably doesn't matter.

I've been looking at the marriott property. It appears that the Hal price is $294. The price thru the hotel is $499:eek:. I'm tempted to book this hotel thru Hal as it looks quite nice. Is it in the boonies?

Yes the Hyatt Place is in behind the Embassy Suites and it would be quicker to turn off Rte 1 just before the Comfort Inn and take the little side street down to the parking lot. I can see it now. When we stayed at the Comfort Inn years ago we walked down that street to get to the Outback and it was lonely even in the daytime.

I forgot to quote you Cruzchic but this is for you.

Oh yes, you must quote or you'll never hear the end of it from a couple posters:D;).

I've been looking at the marriott property. It appears that the Hal price is $294. The price thru the hotel is $499:eek:. I'm tempted to book this hotel thru Hal as it looks quite nice. Is it in the boonies?

If you are talking about the Marriott Harbour Beach, it's in a really nice location. It's gotten very good reviews from TripAdvisor. If you want a beach location and it works for your budget, I'd go for it. There is nothing wrong with your current hotel choice however.

If you are talking about the Marriott Harbour Beach, it's in a really nice location. It's gotten very good reviews from TripAdvisor. If you want a beach location and it works for your budget, I'd go for it. There is nothing wrong with your current hotel choice however.

Yes, the marriott. I've also looked at it on trip advisor. I think I'll phone Hal tomorrow and confirm it's one and the same. I've never stayed on the beach so it would be cool. At this rate my flight and hotel might be more than the cruise. I've got to stop my cruise attention deficit disorder. I'm always looking for the next best thing. It's all the OPs fault:D;).

Book your own air. You can choose the flights YOU want at the time YOU want.

You can do that with HAL air now. You tell them what you want. I find flights on Delta along with prices, and see if HAL can meet it or not.

I don't think lots of you understand that it's not the old way where they tell the customer what flights are offered. They basically offer all flights!