Mendenhall trail question

Bindery

It's already reopened. Just the last bit is still closed.

But everyone should have a backup plan for all Alaska excursions. We are not Disneyland. Constant, amazing natural phenomenon occur which will cause your excursions to be lost. In this case, the annual jokulhlaup. There's no way to predict when it happens every year and the severity, but in this case, we had about a week's warning before it hit, so if tourists check with the glacier's website before they leave on trips, they'll be able to see if one's predicted during their visit and adapt their plans accordingly.

Just an fyi to let you know that I did read and hear that the joku... thingy was going to happen before we left. There isn't much else to plan for in Juneau that doesn't cost a fortune. We still enjoyed what we could see of the Glacier in pouring down rain and had the best lunch ever at Tracy's. My mouth waters when I think of that crab bisque.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

This was dated July 18-looks like the trail is open again.

The Nugget Falls trail at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center has reopened for hikers.

Although the end of the trail near the falls is still under about 12 inches of water, most of the trail is dry, with only a few sections of two to three inch deep puddles.

These should be drying out today. The end of the trail that drops onto the alluvial terrace near the falls may remain submerged through today. Hikers should use caution. The Forest Service advises not walking through deep water on slippery rocks.

OK, here is the new plan

Cancel car from Avis-Look for a taxi when we get off the ship.

If we dont see one call Evergreen Taxi (For immediate dispatch, phone (907) 586-2121.)

Go to Mendenhall and walk the Nugget Falls trail and back.

Call for a taxi about 30 minutes before we are ready to be picked up and get dropped off for the Wings tour.

After Wings tour (time permitting):

Walk to the Alaskan Hotel Bar have a beer

Walk to the Red Dog Saloon have a beer.

Walk back to cruise ship.

OK, here is the new plan

Cancel car from Avis-Look for a taxi when we get off the ship.

If we dont see one call Evergreen Taxi (For immediate dispatch, phone (907) 586-2121.)

Go to Mendenhall and walk the Nugget Falls trail and back.

Call for a taxi about 30 minutes before we are ready to be picked up and get dropped off for the Wings tour.

After Wings tour (time permitting):

Walk to the Alaskan Hotel Bar have a beer

Walk to the Red Dog Saloon have a beer.

Walk back to cruise ship.

I was told by a local not to waste my time at Red Dog. It's a tourist trap. Overpriced beer and not even the original saloon. I wouldn't miss Tracy's Crab Shack if I were you. Yes it's also over priced and touristy, but you can't deny it's damn good food

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app