Lisbon airport- 4 to a taxi?

We will be 2 couples arriving at the Lisbon airport and will need to take a taxi to the cruise port. Can anyone tell me if their taxi's can hold 4 people with luggage, and what the approximate cost would be . If not, can you recommend a reliable car service.

Thank you.

Ellen:)

If it is at Santa Aplolonia it should be under 12 euros and to Alcantara under 15 euros.

So, with 15 to 20 euros planned for 4 passengers with bags, you should be fine.

If you have a lot of baggage and want a bigger car, they have an area to wait to the side while the line keeps moving 4 taxis at a time. Just wait for a larger vehicle to arrive. The seven passenger taxis only charge for the very back seat if you sit back there or are 5 passengers or more and it is around 4 euros more. Most drivers do speak some English.

It is 3.25 at the start and then .52 per kilometer and then about 1 euro for each 4 minutes of time if you get stuck in traffic. They charge 1.60 to put baggage in the trunk.

If you arrive on a Sat. or Sun. it is 3.90 to start and all costs about 20% more. The same is for after 8 pm.

The taxis have to hit the meter to turn it on. Especially at the Airport or Port, make sure they do this. Do not get in a car that does not have the taxi meter and sign on the roof of the car. Tell them you will need a receipt when you get to destination to avoid attempt to overcharge.

We are going to use Sun Transfers, and for 4 adults with luggage are booking their 6 passenger van for a total of 50 euros. I didn't think a cab or car would have room for 4 large suitcases and 4 people, and don't want to wait for a larger taxi.

Sun seem to be more reasonable than a large cab, and have been highly recommended both on here and on Tripadvisor.

Penny

Just to clarify the line is continuous with 4 taxis arriving every 20 seconds. As I winded around the 3 turn, 100 passenger line. I was in line for about 15 minutes and watched 5 groups and families get larger taxis. I would guess 2 minutes was the longest wait for a larger vehicle. All taxis take 4 passengers, many are large Mercedes vehicles while some are more compact, but some take up to 7 passengers and I would say they were coming at a ratio of 1 for every 20 normal cars. The taxi rank is staffed and secured.

Hi MADflyer and Irina,

Thank you both for your information. I have used Sun transfers elsewhere, but if the taxi's are metered and can hold 4 passengers with luggage, then that is the way we will go. I really appreciate all your explanations MADflyer.

By the way, will be in Lugano, Lucern and Zurich next May ,MADflyer.

Ellen:)

Thank you MADflyer, I didn't know that. would you say im better off with a large taxi rather than Sun for 4 people with luggage? I appreciate your help.

Well. I was just there this past weekend and took about 12 to 14 taxi trips.

I am not promoting their use over transfer companies, just giving information on how they work. I can understand how a transfer company might be preferred by some as it is less hassle maybe.

There are downsides. The line is long and you wind around, but it keeps moving. The next thing is to be aware and do not get in any vehicle that does not have a lit sign on the roof. It should show a single 1 or 2 digital number. That shows the meter is on. A couple of drivers in luxury cars showed up and I hate to think what those passengers had to pay without meter.

I noticed I preferred cabs that said the text 'LISBOA' under the taxi number on the front passenger side over the wheel. Telling them you will need a receipt seems to be the trick to avoid incidents from airport of cruise terminal. You can only file a complaint if you have a receipt in Lisbon.

I liked that they had an area just to the side of the front of the line to form a supplemental line for large parties.

Make sure you print the address of the terminal from your cruise documents as they have multiple terminals.

Make sure the driver hits the meter button right after getting in the car and make sure you see the 3.25 or 3.90 showing on the meter and a number 1 or 2 or maybe 3 that indicate the fare. The luggage fee is only 1.60. The 1.60 supplement should show on the meter next to the 3.25.

If anything seems suspicious go to the police stationed just on the other side of the taxi line.

My response is so lengthy as Lisbon is one of those cities where you do need to know what to expect.