NCL Tipping Question

JBlock54

He let NCL take of their employees.

No he didn't. He knew (or ought to have known) that NCL does not compensate beyond the minimal stipend, and that the vast majority of the crew's income is made up of their distribution portion of the DSC. He must have had some inkling, since he went ahead & tipped SOME people in cash. Clearly he understood the concepts behind the fixed/variable elements of crew income. What he failed to take into account is that on traditional lines those tipped need to tip-out others who facilitate their work - whereas on NCL that tip-out function is automated by the DSC.

So, effectively, he has taken the income from the facilitators behind the scenes, and given it solely to the customer-facing persons.... leaving those behind the scenes un-taken-care-of.

Yeah, right. Ill bet the employees would rather spend their tips the way they want, not let someone in Miami decide whats best for the crew fleetwide.

For me, I will be adjusting the dsc to zero, and tipping as I go along.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

a) NCL has over 14,000 crew. If they all detested the Fleetwide Crew Welfare program, don't you think that either it would change, or they would leave? Checking GlassDoor.com, it would seem that many approve of their management, and the ranking overall based on 115 self-selected reviewers is better than average http://www.glassdoor.ca/Reviews/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Company-Reviews-E9937_P3.htm

b) How many times are you going to tell us that you plan to stiff the people behind the scenes, but not those you meet (or you'll probably forget some of them, too....in the moment....unintentionally...but you'll have a hard time finding them again later to make it up to them.

Since the tipping in cash would presumably be of at least the same amount as the aggregate DSC, why not just leave the automated system alone, and give the crew peace-of-mind that their income isn't at the discretion of your mood on any particular day?

Who is us? Do you speak for all cc readers now?

You can do whatever you want. If you want your tips going to some fleetwide welfare program controlled by the company rather than the people who wait on you leave the dsc there and dont tip anyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

If you tip only the people who wait on you and remove the DSC, the people you give cash to will have to turn it in so it can be pooled and divided among those ordinarily included in the DSC.

It is not worth an employee's job to keep the cash. Supervisors know who removed DSC.

If DSC is left in place, stewards, waiters, etc can keep any additional cash you give them.