Do All Hull Balcony Cabins have a connecting doors?

nutmegger

My family had adjacent hull balcony cabins on a recent QM2 crossing. The cabins did not have connecting doors, but we did have the door between our balconies opened (requires a special key).

It was very handy to be able to travel from one cabin to the other via the balconies.

Don't know for sure, but my sense is that few cabins connect inside, but that most/all cabins connect on the balcony.

No, there are a limited number of connecting cabins. You can see which ones they are by visiting the ship's deck plan on the Cunard site. We were on the June 9 crossing and had connecting in-ull deck rooms. With the door and the combined balconies, it was wonderful. The in-hull balconies were bright and also provided a good amount of protection against the mid-Atlantic winds.

One hitch... the doors on the connecting rooms always lock when closedand require an attendant to unlock them! I remedied this by borrowing some duct tape from the purser's office. I was able to use a taped-down dime to hold the locking bolt back and prevent it from locking. I told the crew that the doors should be able to remain unlocked but closed for the duration of the voyage. They indicated that Cunard was planning to change out the locks so they can do just that when the QM2 receives refurbishments in November.

Nutmegger:

I believe it was my post you read this morning regarding our hull balcony cabins. I learned this tip on a cruise critic message board last year that this could be done. We went on a Princess cruise last spring and had three regular balcony cabins on the Island Princess. We asked the steward to unlock our balcony doors and had all three balconies connecting. It was really wonderful to enjoy the big balcony, and to have the convenience of connecting rooms. We'd leave the curtains closed when we were sleeping as a "do not disturb" clue, and it was perfect.

I imagine that many ships have balcony doors which can be opened by a steward. It is not exclusive to QM2 or hull balconies. Glad you picked up on this tip, it's one of my favorite ones!

-Jill

Archived