Belize with 4 year olds

idjaffe

Don't know if you are interested but we are going on the Ruins and River Wallace tour. From what I have gathered, a bus picks you up and takes you to some ruins then you hop on a boat for a tour down the Wallace river, to see manatees, alligators, birds, monkeys, etc... We are taking our 2 & 6 year old on this tour. Anyway hope this helps in your decision making and have a great time!!:)

okiemom,

I would not do the tubing with 4-year olds. We have a 10 & 7-year old and we opted for the Land Rover 4X4 Jeep tour. Friends who went tubing said they would never bring small kids. The tour is demanding, and too often the guide has to direct his attention to the kids instead of the group. This feedback came from 5 couples who tubed in Belize last week when we were on the Explorer.

I would pick another, less demanding tour.

Mark

We just did the ruins and the River Wallace tour. These are some of the few ruins that you can actually climb, and I would imagine your kids would want to do that if a parent could go along with them on the climb. The river tour was great. Our boat driver and tour conductors actually had their kids with them on the tour (some of the best behaved children I have ever seen!), so maybe your children would have some company their own age. On the river tour we saw howler monkeys, crocodiles, and manatees. One suggestion for you though--take a GOOD deep woods bug spray with you for the ruins part. As soon as you step out of the bus the mosquitoes are everywhere. I received this good information from reading this board and I was glad. People were trying to spray with their little low count deet sprays and the mosquitoes were laughing at them! I had the good stuff and ended up loaning it to everybody, but I did not care-- it worked! Enjoy the ruins tour and river ride, if you decide to do this!

If you go to the Carnival site and look for sponsored tours out of Belize you will receive information as to times cost etc.for the River Wallace tour. From what I can remember, after we reached the shore from the tender, we were taken to a bus and had about a 45 minute busride to the ruins site. We stayed there about 30-45 minutes (it really is not a large place), then returned to the bus that took us to the river for the boat ride. When you get there you actually walk through an outdoor restaurant and a few small booths selling locally made goods. We stayed there about 20-25 minutes, then got on the boats for the river ride which took roughly an hour or so. Others took this tour in reverse, beginning with the river boat ride and then proceeding to the ruins.

I went to the local WalMart and purchased bug spray there with #40 deet (whatever that means--it was the biggest number so I figured that was good!) and it did the job!

FYI, the different concentration levels don't necessarily equate to better protection (it's not like the SPF on sunscreen). Higher numbers should protect you longer, but not necessarily better. Ideally, you only want as much DEET on you as you need (or for as long as you'll need it).

Also make a note of the instructions on the repellent. While DEET is great, slopping too much of it on, and leaving it on your skin for too long, is not a good thing.

And while I'm talking about repellents, there is a relatively new (at least to the U.S.) repellant that works as good as DEET, without some of the unpleasant side-effects. It's available in several products, including Cutter Advanced. I used that stuff for my cave tubing trip in Belize, and it seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps!:)

This comes from Carnivals website!

This excursion is actually two amazing excursions rolled into one. It’s a cruise down the Belize River and a journey to the ancient ceremonial center of Altun Ha.

On this dual excursion you will:

• Explore the Rio Wallace -- home to crocodiles, manatee and even dolphin.
  • Visit the Mayan city located only seven miles from the sea and surrounded by rainforest.
  • See the site where the famous nine and a half pound jade head of the sun god Kinich Ahau was discovered.
  • Explore two plazas and thirteen structures at the epicenter of this Mayan ceremonial site.
  • Climb the prepared stone steps to the top of the main temples.

Notes: Your river trip will be approximately 1-¼ hours, and since the boats are uncovered, a hat and sunscreen are recommended. Restrooms are available at Altun Ha.

Your return bus trip is approximately 45 minutes and the excursion may operate in reverse depending on participation.

6 hours $69.00 Two stick people Activity level

Moderate Activity: Fairly active excursion requiring intermittent effort throughout. The excursion may involve reoccurring physical movement, including walking medium distances over uneven surfaces and climbing stairs.

Sight-seeing Excursions: These are primarily motor coach excursions with an emphasis on sight-seeing and very little activity.

Infants Free: Infants 3 and younger, that will sit on a parent’s lap and therefore do not require a seat, may participate in this excursion at no charge.

"FYI, the different concentration levels don't necessarily equate to better protection (it's not like the SPF on sunscreen). Higher numbers should protect you longer, but not necessarily better. Ideally, you only want as much DEET on you as you need (or for as long as you'll need it)."

Well I do not pretend to be a scientist. All I know is my bug spray worked and everybody else's didn't!!

• 4 months later...

Archived