Comparison Haven vs. inside to Alaska and May vs. Aug.

littlelulu01

I had intentions of posting a review after my last trip however got busy with life and forgot about Cruise Critic. Recently booked the Jade 14 night Mediterranean for 5/2/15 and I’m now back on Cruise Critic eagerly awaiting others’ trip reports. Thought I would post a review of our Alaska trip while I wait.

Husband and I sailed the Pearl in a two bedroom haven villa May 12, 2013. We had an excellent 5+ star vacation. My daughter was getting ready to leave for college and I wanted to do a mom/daughter trip prior to her leaving. We booked a guarantee inside cabin last min on the Pearl to Alaska Aug 18. I was very leery of the inside cabin and had concerns with claustrophobia but for the price I figured it was worth a try. For reference this was my 2nd sailing with NCL so I have no status to speak of. My daughter was happy to go on a cruise but not especially excited about Alaska. She was going along more for the cruise experience. She wanted to meet new people, dress up and participate in ship activities. I looked into another line… and was going to book HAL but as I debated on the purchase the HAL ship sold out and the only choice was sailing the Pearl. For me it would be the second time in one season on the same ship. I had not been on a cruise for several years prior to the May sailing my husband and I took. After two wonderful cruises on the Pearl I am leery of booking with another line so our next cruise in Europe will be on the Jade.

My daughter and I had a fabulous vacation and loved almost every minute of it. I of course would rather have sailed in the Haven but I actually may have enjoyed this vacation more than the Haven trip with husband. The Haven entailed more pampering, better food, balcony, bathroom to die for, and a relaxing and very romantic vacation. The extra benefits of having a concierge and butler were also nice and the Haven area was also missed. The inside cabin and vacation experience was more about the ship, activities, being on the go, meeting new friends, and spending time with my daughter. We took advantage of what the ship had to offer vs. what the Haven had to offer. In all honesty I did not miss the experience as much as I thought I would and felt like we were still pampered and taken good care of with the inside, lowest priced cabin. I did however miss the balcony and sitting out there in my own private space watching the ocean and sea life. Cost wise though the inside guarantee cabin was so much less than the Haven so the savings made up for the loss of the Haven and a balcony.

I'm going to try to post several pictures with this review as well so bear with me in this process. I'll also review what we did in each port.

I had intentions of posting a review after my last trip however got busy with life and forgot about Cruise Critic. Recently booked the Jade 14 night Mediterranean for 5/2/15 and I’m now back on Cruise Critic eagerly awaiting others’ trip reports. Thought I would post a review of our Alaska trip while I wait.

Husband and I sailed the Pearl in a two bedroom haven villa May 12, 2013. We had an excellent 5+ star vacation. My daughter was getting ready to leave for college and I wanted to do a mom/daughter trip prior to her leaving. We booked a guarantee inside cabin last min on the Pearl to Alaska Aug 18. I was very leery of the inside cabin and had concerns with claustrophobia but for the price I figured it was worth a try. For reference this was my 2nd sailing with NCL so I have no status to speak of. My daughter was happy to go on a cruise but not especially excited about Alaska. She was going along more for the cruise experience. She wanted to meet new people, dress up and participate in ship activities. I looked into another line… and was going to book HAL but as I debated on the purchase the HAL ship sold out and the only choice was sailing the Pearl. For me it would be the second time in one season on the same ship. I had not been on a cruise for several years prior to the May sailing my husband and I took. After two wonderful cruises on the Pearl I am leery of booking with another line so our next cruise in Europe will be on the Jade.

My daughter and I had a fabulous vacation and loved almost every minute of it. I of course would rather have sailed in the Haven but I actually may have enjoyed this vacation more than the Haven trip with husband. The Haven entailed more pampering, better food, balcony, bathroom to die for, and a relaxing and very romantic vacation. The extra benefits of having a concierge and butler were also nice and the Haven area was also missed. The inside cabin and vacation experience was more about the ship, activities, being on the go, meeting new friends, and spending time with my daughter. We took advantage of what the ship had to offer vs. what the Haven had to offer. In all honesty I did not miss the experience as much as I thought I would and felt like we were still pampered and taken good care of with the inside, lowest priced cabin. I did however miss the balcony and sitting out there in my own private space watching the ocean and sea life. Cost wise though the inside guarantee cabin was so much less than the Haven so the savings made up for the loss of the Haven and a balcony.

I'm going to try to post several pictures with this review as well so bear with me in this process. I'll also review what we did in each port.

Thank you so much for your review on Haven vs inside on the NCL Pearl. Our next trip to Alaska in 2015 or 2016 will be on the Pearl and look forward to more pictures from you.

We have sailed on the Jade a few times, and the last B2B was just in January 2014. We had a window and a balcony, but not too much different for us. During the 28 days, we have only spent 10 on the balcony, but did like to look out the window when in ports. Some recent cruise review on the Jade was critical, but don't let that scare you. The Jade do have the South Pacific theme in many of its public area, so you can pretend you are in the Hawaii or the South Pacific.

Here's a comparison of the Marjorie Glacier in May and Aug

Very much looking forward to your thoughts as Alaska is on my bucket list. Hopefully you can compare/contrast May vs. August and give your opinion as to which would be better for a one time trip to Alaska. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your review on Haven vs inside on the NCL Pearl. Our next trip to Alaska in 2015 or 2016 will be on the Pearl and look forward to more pictures from you.

We have sailed on the Jade a few times, and the last B2B was just in January 2014. We had a window and a balcony, but not too much different for us. During the 28 days, we have only spent 10 on the balcony, but did like to look out the window when in ports. Some recent cruise review on the Jade was critical, but don't let that scare you. The Jade do have the South Pacific theme in many of its public area, so you can pretend you are in the Hawaii or the South Pacific.

Thanks. We have an ocean view booked on the Jade 14nt. It's so port intensive that although I would love a balcony but can't justify the cost. It's already turning into the most expensive vacation in my life with an ocean view! There sure has been some bad reviews of the Jade lately. I was scared about the Pearl food after reading reviews but other than the breakfast crowds in the Garden Cafe the food and dining experience were just fine. I'm expecting the Jade to be just as good if not better due to being in Italy and access to much better foods than the US.

Very much looking forward to your thoughts as Alaska is on my bucket list. Hopefully you can compare/contrast May vs. August and give your opinion as to which would be better for a one time trip to Alaska. Thanks!

I'll try but I loved both trips. Glacier bay more dramatic in May but the crazy amount of whale activity in August is hard to give up. There were whales in May but you really had to look and they were in the distance. In Aug they were flipping, bubble feeding and doing all their stuff right off the ship no matter what way you looked at the entrance/exit of the bay. Temps of course warmer in Aug but this may or may not be the case for you. The ship will be chilly while underway regardless. Otherwise the towns were not much difference. Skagaway was very windy in May and not in Aug. but again could just be the day.

hopefully some better contrast pics of Glacier bay. This is the bay in May, just prior to coming up on Marjorie Glacier. We were sitting on our balcony and started to see more ice chunks so we knew we were getting closer. Then it became more of an ice soup by the glacier itself.

20bf2a0d-2d93-4911-94b5-342b6a646461_zps564fdb8a.jpg

August was defin. a more social event. This could have been Haven vs. inside but the May sailing was very quiet and much time spent in the Haven area or our room looking at the sea. The August sailing had more kids... My daughter ran into a friend from school as soon as she boarded the ship and quickly met several new friends. With more kids and young adults there is just more going on. I assume the activities staff get into the cruise more when there are more willing participants too. Seemed like a lot more Americans in Aug and more Japanese, Brits and Australians in May.

For the August sailing I knew I wanted spa passes. I did not even know about the spa in May and it was not really necessary as there was a steam room, sauna, hot tub and warm indoor pool right outside our stateroom door for the Haven. I subsequently found out about the spa passes and so we purchased as soon as we boarded for $119 for the week. We made good use of the passes, visiting every day and some days twice a day. I do wish I had brought a swim cap to save my hair from the chlorine.

Our inside stateroom was deck 10 aft, room 10167 and the spa was forward deck 12 but the walk was not bad.

There is a separate men's and women's side and then co-ed in the middle. The separate areas have cold plunge pool, personal ho tubs, sauna, steam room, showers, loungers. The co-ed area has a therapy pool with an extremely strong massaging jet, hot tub, I think steam room and heated tile loungers that look out at the sea. Usually peaceful in the spa and I loved watching the sea from this vantage point. The Haven area was virtually empty during our trip. It was just as nice but it's in the middle of ship so no vantage view points from the area. Here's some pics of the spa;