Viking Ingvar – Waterways of the Tsars –July 5 to 17, 2014

RHexplorer

Hi Dreamer75,

The staterooms were comfortable. Our room (426) did not not have a pole in the middle of the room but I know many of the other staterooms (30% or more) did have one. The bathrooms on any cruise ship or river boat is small. The bed was firm and everything was in excellent condition. No stains, chips or broken anything.

Food is subjective. I deliberately ordered the items on the menu that were identified as local dishes. It was good, but not "wow". I did not starve and despite all the walking that we did, I still gained 3 pounds on this trip. We live just north of Toronto, one of the most ethnically diverse cities in North America. We are already spoiled by the wide variety of food already available to us.

Excursions were great. Both the included ones and the optional ones.

We would rate both of the Viking rivers cruises higher than our ocean cruises (Norwegian, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity). We will still go on ocean cruises but feel that the level of service and quality of the cruise has become "watered-down" as the industry expands. To us, river cruising was like ocean cruising twenty years ago, better service and quality of product.

Hi Dreamer75,

Some examples of the Russian food we tried was the cabbage roll, various soups (including borscht), kvass, pelmeni and others whose names I have forgotten.

Since we have been back at home, we went to the local Russian supermarket and picked up a bottle of kvass and a package of pelmeni's. Pelmeni's are similar to perogies but filled with meat instead. They are closer to a Japaness goyza, Italian tortellini or Chinese xiao long bao.

Thanks again for the information regarding the food on the ship. I usually travel with my two grand-daughters on Disney ships and land travel. I've never done a river cruise although, I see Viking on Masterpiece Theater every Sunday. This will be a new adventure for me and my friend of many years. Looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wanted to thank you for your amazing review of the Viking Waterways fo the Tsars trip. We are booked to go Sept 14/14 on the Truvor. Your review helped us to be able to get the advanced booking for the Kremlin Armoury tour which we knew nothing about until reading your post - thanks so much -would have hated to miss the Faberge eggs!

A quick question, on previous Viking River cruises, the cabins were equipped with 110 voltage outlets but we were wondering, do we need a plug adaptor? The info they sent with the tickets suggests getting a plug adaptor but we've never had to do this before.

Thanks again

We were on the Ingvar ship cabin 302, which was great because of the veranda and it was close to the restaurant - no climbing stairs.

The weather was sunny and mild in Moscow but the further north we went the colder it became. It rained a couple of times in St. Petersburg so take an umbrella. The day we went to the Peterhof Palace it became sunny and beautiful!

• 2 years later...

We took the cruise beginning 9/4. Obviously weather varies from year to year and we were expecting colder weather. But we had warm, sunny weather with practically no rain. It was perfect. That being said, if you check out the average temperatures for late summer, and bring a warm jacket just in case, you should be fine. We absolutely loved the cruise! St. Petersburg is amazing.