How to choose a balcony cabin category...

luv2sleep

How do you chose between balcony cabin categories? (Not suites) Is there a huge difference between them?

Also, do any of them have lounge chairs? If so, which categories and on which ships?

Thanks! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The category letter refers to where it is-what deck and whether forward aft or midship. For a regular balcony I would pick my desired location. Not just the category.

If you are going into the higher letters you will get into the extended balconies

Some of the aft facing extended balconies have lounge chairs. Some of the extended side balconies, like the "bowling alley" balconies on spirit class have lounges. In regular balconies they just won't fit.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Balcony cabin types are a number and a letter. The number is usually 7, 8, or 9. Each cabin type is then divided into categories based on their "desirability". A letter is used to denote the category. Generally the later the letter is in the alphabet the more desirable the cabin. More desirable categories will have higher price rates. The more desirable cabins are typically on the middle to upper decks close to the center of the ship. Although aft cabins are often considered quite desirable. Other things that affect desirability are things like obstructions and the size of the balcony. Larger balconies can accommodate the loungers.

Here's more info...

7A (obstructed balcony), 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E, and 8F.

8M and 8N are Extended Balconies.

9B is a Premium Balcony.

9C is a Premium Vista Balcony.

8A through 8F - 35 square feet

8M and 8N - 60 square feet

9B - 75-85 square feet

9C - 75-275 square feet

Edited by forwardcabin

9b next year for our 15 day. Can't wait.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

There are also cove balconies on some ships! We always choose these (and in the middle) because it is close to the water and because it is more private and shaded!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

I chose ours by my favorite deck. Usually 7. I like to have a cabin above and below me rather than public space. I like to be higher rather than lower. The deck chairs we had reclined and I propped my feet in the second chair.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are also the regular rooms with the long extended balconies (bowling alley) that have loungers on them. On the Conquest it is 7434 & 7439, and they are the same price as a regular balcony room. They are located aft on decks 6 & 7 (I think on deck 6 there are 4 of these rooms). Just another possibility to think about. I chose deck 7 because I also prefer being between cabin floors.

There are cove balconies. They are pretty close to the water line. I'm not interested in that.

I called. I can def ask for a lounger. They only automatically come on suite balconies.

I am interested in a spa balcony now. Will see...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do the cove balconies have a number category? Or do they say cove balcony on the carnival website.

I have heard of these and would love to book a cruise on a ship that has them.

...Breeze, Dream, and Magic have the coves. They are all on Main (Deck 2) and are category 7C.

Edited by forwardcabin

If you want a great balcony .....Book Lido deck and as close to the pool as possible short walk hidden behind a wall so NO traffic . They are great. Afts are great but on Carnival you pay Premium price for them . I wait for RCI to book those they don't charge extra actually they are less and most have bigger balconies.