Canceling/Re-Booking Cruise

tncap

I wanted to share my recent experience with canceling and re-booking a cruise a few days ago.

We originally had the 9/21 Dream sailing booked in a cove but due to a work conflict my partner had it became clear last week that we would have to reschedule. I didn't want to throw out all my research on the Dream and the ports (though none of the ports were new to me) and the 9/7 sailing matched so we decided to book that one.

The original sailing had the majority of it paid for with a gift card when Carnival had the "Father's Day" promotion a couple of months ago. I was concerned whether the refundable portion would go to my credit card, a gift card or was indeed non-refundable. We lost our $500 deposit due to Early Saver but that is a chance you take when booking that rate. That should be covered under our independent travel insurance as well as our two Hotwire hotels. Airfare was booked with points so no worries there - Southwest is very easy to make flight changes with using Rapid Rewards.

I was able to call in and get the new sailing date as well as all of the refundable portion of the cruise transferred to my booking number. We went with a balcony guarantee due to the great Pack and Go rate. I just had to pay the slight difference in price over the phone and we were set.

Long story short, this turned out to be much easier than I anticipated!

Edited by tncap

Was booking Early Saver the reason you lost your deposit? wasn't that actually do to being so close to cruise date? Early Saver only costs you $50/pp to reschedule/cancel, with the rest of the funds held for future use for 24 months.

Was booking Early Saver the reason you lost your deposit? wasn't that actually do to being so close to cruise date? Early Saver only costs you $50/pp to reschedule/cancel, with the rest of the funds held for future use for 24 months.

Yes, it was due to Early Saver because I cancelled between 75 and 56 days from departure.

Yes, it was due to Early Saver because I cancelled between 75 and 56 days from departure.

Then forfeiting your deposit had nothing to do with booking Early Saver. Any fare booked would have resulted in loss of deposit when canceling that close in. The only time Early Saver conditions come into play would be before the "loss of deposit" phase kicks in. Then you have a $50/pp cancel/change fee, and the rest of the deposit funds are held for use on a future booking up to 24 months from original cruise date.