Taxi - Ft Lauderdale Airport / Ship Info

Mark

:confused: Does anyone have experience taking a taxi from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port Everglades? I am on Enchantment in December and was wondering how difficult it it to get a cab at the airport or the port, how long the ride takes and what the fare is?

Please advise

Also, how early of a flight should I book for return from Ft Lauderdale to Newark? Cruise Line advises that any flight after 12 Noon is OK.:confused:

I booked ground transportation through Royal Caribbean from the Lauderdale airport to the port. They will meet us at baggage claim (departs every 30 minutes beginning at 10 AM) and take care of getting the bags on the ship,etc. It cost something like $20 pp for round trip. May be more expensive than a cab but I don't have to worry about flagging down a cab and checking my luggage.

You can see the top of ships and port buildings from the airport. It is a 10 minute cab ride. There are plenty of cabs just outside baggage claim.

As far as a return flight, we've made a 9:50 on Jet Blue to Dulles when returning into Port of Miami. That said, we booked the 11:50 flight and were there in time and got on the 9:50 flight. The cruise line will very seldom, if ever, tell you that anything before noon is safe. This is due to possible port issues, clearing the ship, late arrival, etc.

Usually, the ships are in and people are disembarking by about 7:30am. You could probably be book an 11:00 flight, but there is no guarantee. Also, depending on who you fly with, there can be some extraordinarily long lines at FLL on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Discount carriers like JetBlue and Spirit are not bad at all, but USAirways, Delta, and United are often times very loooooong. To be safe, noon is your best bet. There will be plenty of cabs waiting at the port to take you back to the airport as well-- again a 10 minute ride.

As I recall, a cab for the 2 of us, with an average amount of luggage, was $10-12 + tip. I think I gave them $15 each way.

Jay

Archived