Carnival Valor Bringing on Alcohol

cujo67chevy

Let them take your big luggage outside. Have at least a carry on or back pack to keep with you. Buy whatever liquor you want upstairs at the liquor store. Leave the bottles in the bag they give you. Don't hide them yet. Once you go through Carnival's scanner they will put a ribbon on your liquor bag. When leaving the scanners you will go through a door and around a corner. Stop, take bottles and place them in carry on or back pack. The place where Carnival is setup to take your tagged bottles is far from that spot past the "Z" shaped gangway just before walking on the ship. Just walk past them normally. No questions will be asked as long as your bottles are hidden in your carry on or back pack. It's that easy. We followed these instructions from the Port of Call board and took on 4 bottles in March.

Are you referring to initial boarding in San Juan, or when they tag the bottles you buy in the ports of call?

Alcohol sales make up a large portion of revenues for a cruise ship. In the CNBC documentary "Big Money On The High Seas" it showed how crucial alcohol sales are to whether a particular cruise ends up being a profit or a loss for the company. People are willing to pay $70+ for that bottle of liquor because they do not want to deal with the hassles of smuggling (and it possibly being confiscated) and understand that the bottle is a better value than purchasing individual drinks.

So your solution is $1 drinks and $10 bottles of rum? What do you do at concerts, sporting events, etc., where a beer is now almost $10? Smuggle?

Why yes! We do...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Sailed twice out of San Juan, rum runners both worked just fine both times. With the way San Juan is set up, we actually saw the screener scanning our bags just after dropping them off and they just kept on moving! In fact, I even was successful bringing a rum runner in my carry-on when boarding in San Juan once. So I wouldn't worry.

Cheers :cool:

Are you referring to initial boarding in San Juan, or when they tag the bottles you buy in the ports of call?

Thats the process I used when first embarking the ship in San Juan. We easily brought 4 bottles on.

I hadn't researched sneaking booze on board. I just assumed it wasn't worth the effort and I'd be caught. I know that booze bought in port on both Disney and RCCL were confiscated upon my return to the ship. And I was fine with that (got it back at the end of course).

On the Valor earlier this month I bought a bottle of rum in St Thomas that I'd sampled and enjoyed. I fully expect it to be take from me when I return to the ship. It was in my beach bag, went through the scanner, and no one said a word.

I ended up drinking most of that bottle while on the cruise and probably saved myself $60 or so on my bar bill.

I was on the valor the week of June 22. We were four families traveling together. Each family packed two bottles of liquor in their checked luggage. All received letters in their suitcases and alcohol confiscated until end of cruise. I believe they do have longer to check bags thoroughly. I've been on more than 10 carnival cruises and this is the first time I have ever gotten the letter.

On the other hand, it is quite easy to carry it onboard at each port. We did so in St. Lucia and St. Kitts no problem. It would have also been easy to do so in San Juan because of where they position the alcohol check table.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The easiest port EVER to sneak alcohol onboard. I boarded, got off, reboarded, got off and reboarded again....bringing on several bottles of wine. They don't keep track of when you leave and when you come back. You can bring on one bottle each, and I happen to only drink wine. So we had enough for dinner (only time I drink) every night. It was awesome. And your cruise is the best one you will ever go on!!!! We sailed last spring ('13). GREAT cruise on the Valor!!!:D

** Honestly if you carry two bottles of ANYTHING on board and say " I have two bottles of wine" as you go through you are fine.... just my experience over and over.

You guys that tell people how to smuggle booze on the ships must realize that CCL reads these boards so if people are telling ways to smuggle they are not pulling the wool over CCL eyes. If you get a idea just do it don't put on CC boards so the whole world can read it .

Gary

This is posted over and over and it doesn't mean anything. They know about smuggling and the boards. They aren't finding anything new every time someone posts about it.

In any case, at San Juan they want the luggage delivered and to be ready for sailing as fast as any other ship. I did see the scanner just before the elevators. Nevertheless my rum runners (4 of them with dark rum) made it on no problem. This was just last week, July 20.

Alcohol sales make up a large portion of revenues for a cruise ship. In the CNBC documentary "Big Money On The High Seas" it showed how crucial alcohol sales are to whether a particular cruise ends up being a profit or a loss for the company. People are willing to pay $70+ for that bottle of liquor because they do not want to deal with the hassles of smuggling (and it possibly being confiscated) and understand that the bottle is a better value than purchasing individual drinks.

So your solution is $1 drinks and $10 bottles of rum? What do you do at concerts, sporting events, etc., where a beer is now almost $10? Smuggle?

Actually I do smuggle at concerts and sporting events. Plus pregame tailgate.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

I think smuggling has decreased since they started the drink program.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure of that since both people in the room have to purchas the Cheers program. My hubby drinks, I barely drink. We would not purchase the Cheers program as it would not be cost effective for me to have it. If they could figure out a way for only one person to buy it or offer different packages say per stateroom then that might work. I am surprised they have not thought about something like that. If we could get a package that was less than purchasing 2 Cheers and offered less amount of alcohol, then we might get it.

The could offer a package for lighter drinkers, moderate drinkers, or heavy drinkers. Then we could save money and Carnival would probably make more money in the long run.

If they could figure out a way for only one person to buy it or offer different packages say per stateroom then that might work. I am surprised they have not thought about something like that. If we could get a package that was less than purchasing 2 Cheers and offered less amount of alcohol, then we might get it.

Different sizes packages per stateroom is a good idea. As for just allowing just one person to purchase Cheers!, I can just see the number of people taking full advantage of that situation. Husband gets drink package, wife does not. Husband orders drink 1, gives to wife. Husband 5 minutes later orders drink 2 for himself. Just reading these forums, I could see the number of people doing that shoot though the roof...

Different sizes packages per stateroom is a good idea. As for just allowing just one person to purchase Cheers!, I can just see the number of people taking full advantage of that situation. Husband gets drink package, wife does not. Husband orders drink 1, gives to wife. Husband 5 minutes later orders drink 2 for himself. Just reading these forums, I could see the number of people doing that shoot though the roof...

I just dont see the issue here. The plan is still maxed at 15 a day. I must be missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would like to thank everyone for your responses. I found this beneficial.

I even appreciate the comments from the anti-smugglers (although I respectfully disagree with most of those comments).

This will be my 6th Carnival cruise. I still buy alcohol on the ship and we usually have a $600 bill from the photo gallery so I have to save money somewhere.

I wish fun and happy cruising for everyone.

I saw that documentary. I believe alcohol is very important to their profits. What I do not recall is what is the average drink per person per day the ship has to sell to make the profit. Some people don't drink and some people only drink wine at dinner (that the ship allows you to bring on anyway). My thoughts are, although I sneak alcohol on, I still buy drinks. This means I am helping Carnival out more.

I like to think positive. :)