Just back from the Pride of Aloha - review

janesm

Hi,

We just sailed on POA and alhtough the destination was great, the ship left much to be desired.

For background I have been on two cruises previously - The Raddison Paul Gaugain to French Polynesia, and a 2-week cruise on the Star Princess to New Zealand and Australia. Both were wonderful. No complaints at all on either (except the way shore excursion reservations were handled on the PG).

On the POA we were in a Penthouse Suite #9202.

Day 1 - Saturday: arrived in Honolulu - stayed at the Marriott Waikiki to take advantage of NCL early check in, which turned out to be a great decision. The hotel experience was wonderful and our check-in lasted 20 minutes at the ship. Others took hours to check in with lines wrapped way out into the street.

At check in we received a piece of yellow paper saying "Meet concierge Eric Anderson" and a phone number.

Our stateroom was very spacious. Even had a separate tiny room with two bunk beds and it's own TV that we were not expecting. There were just 2 of us so we used this for storage.

There was a nice floral arrangement and a bottle of champagne (not chilled) in the room. The balcony was huge with two chaise lounges, two chairs and a table.

The bed was hard so we asked for an eggcrate mattress. Also detected a smell. Determined one of the pillows smelled very strongly of smoke. Later found out the mattress smelled of smoke, too but it wasn't too bad. Asked for a pillow to replace the stinky one.

We called the number for Eric Anderson and got a voice mail and left a message.

From the hotel walked to the International Marketplace for some shopping. Then ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise - YUM! overlooking the main street and Beach in Waikiki. What a great place to people-watch!

Day 2 - Sunday:

Wentwith Dolphin Excursions on the early morning dolphin swim, based on reviews read here. I really loved the very fast boat rind on a super-sized zodiak-like boat. It was like being on a huge, fast jet ski. A scout found a pod of dolphins and we sped to the site, got in the water and the dolphins swam around us - for only a few minutes, though. The captain said the dolphins seemed much more skittish than usual. My guess is the screaming kid who was afraid to snorkel in our group didn't help matters. So we moved to a second location and the same thing occured. We got to see them for at least a short while. Then went to swim with giant tortoises. They were fun to watch and many would smim close to you. The ride back was really fun - sit in the front of the boat for the most exciting ride.

Checked in, had lunch in the buffet and went shopping at the Aloha Tower marketplace. OK shopping but not great.

Had dinner at the Bistro and ordered surf and turf, based on good reviews on this board. POA must have had a really bad night becasue it was one of the worst meals I ever had! The lobster was fishy tasting and rubbery. Not sweet and tender. The steak seemed like a thawed frozen steak - tasteless with less then great texture. No spoons supplied for our soup, had to ask twice for them as the soup got cold. Had to ask 3 times for limes for my drink, no salt or pepper on the table. I asked waiter for salt. He brought me a shaker and stood there watching me shake it on my lobster. It was pepper, which I hate. Scraped it off and ate another bite then left the rest. Left half the steak, too. Throughout the cruise we would find salt in the shakers with one hole and pepper in the shakers with many holes. Go figure. Occasionally the opposite would be true.

My husband ordered one of the featured wines with dinner. They were out of it and it was the first night. They finally got some on the last night.

I ordered the chocolate fondue and the fruit was nice but the chocolate was very thin and barely lukewarm. Didn't coat the fruit very well.

There was hardly anyone in the restaurant and service was slow and inattentive. I had a really bad feeling about what was to follow the rest of the week.

That night we discovered our shower door was broken. It was off the track and wouldn't close completely. Also the jacuzzi tub was missing a button to allow us to turn the water off. Just in time we figured out how to stick a pencil the the hole in the handle and turn off the flow. Called the desk to ask for repair of the tub and shower. They said they would log the request.

Day 3 - Kauai:

Breakfast in the buffet. Evreything was OK except the toast/bagels/english muffins were always cold and hard as a rock - every day! Lots of fresh fruit and the omelets looked good, though I never wanted to wait on line for one.

Went on the ship's 4-hour ATV and waterfall swim adventure. The ATV ride was GREAT! On a beautiful ranch. It was very enjoyable! It was the dry season so the waterfalls were little more than a trickle and the water was pretty murky so half the people chose not to swim. The great ride more than made up for the waterfall.

At at the Crossings. No wait. Food was marginal. Orered lobster again and it was cooked a litle better. Waiters brought the wrong entree and dessert. Then they forgot to give us our check to sign at the end so we eventually flagged them down.

There was a DVD catalog for checking out DVDs for use in the room. Suites are equipped with a DVD player. Called the reception desk to ask how to order them and she said to come to reception and get it. Still no word from Eric Anderson, our supposed concierge. While at reception we told her about the message we received at check asking us to meet him and telling her of our failed attempts to reach him. She told us she thought he was on vacation.

Got to the room and there was no DVD player! Called reception, explained the problem, she forwarded us to room service, we explained the problem. They said OK they would try to find one.

No one had come to look at the shower and tub.

Received a letter from Patrick, head concierge telling us our butlers names (three of them) and tellign us that they would be introducing themselfs and explainng their services. This never happened the entire time on the ship. Never met Eric anderson either.

Day 4 - Kauai:

Took a helicopter ride with Jack Harter (not a ship excursion). They picked us up at the ship on schedule. The 90-minute ride was phemonal. Our pilot Chris was ex-military and was extremely knowledgable and funny. I would highlt recomment this excursion.

Dinner at the Palace. Service was better. Food options are very limited and chicken dishes (at restaurants and buffet) are dry. Desserts are the best part.

Still no shower and tub repair, and no DVD player. Called reception and room service to repeat request for missing DVD player. They forwarded me to Jeff, one of our Butlers. He seemed annoyed that our request was forward to him. He said, didn't you call Patrick? No I didn't know he was the one to call. Jeff said he would call Patrick.

Eric anderson called, returning our call. He said we didn't need to call him. The slip of paper is just something they gave us since he was on vacation during check-in. No offer to help with anything or explanation of services. No apology for later return of call.

Still no DVD or shower/tub repair. Not even a phone call about it. Our room steward called his supervisor and she said she would be right up to see what needed to be done wiht the shower and tub. We stayed in the room for several hours and she never came.

Day 5 - Hilo:

Did the 7-hour volcanoes national park excursion with the ship. Although well organized and our guide was very knowledgable and interesting. seven hours of bleak lava field is too much. You could see the highlights on your own in an hour and get just as much out of it. My husband enjoyed it more than I did.

Still no shower and tub repair, and no DVD player. This was becoming really annoying. I found a number for Patrick, head concierge and explained the problem one more time. He said her would bring one up soon, which he did. Hallelujah!

Day 6 - Kona:

Did the Fair Wind snorkeling excursion (not with the ship). What a class act! Great snorkeling and a very pleasant experience.

My husband went back to the ship in the afternoon and I shopped the waterfront strip in Kona. Great shooing! Not the same old stuff but tasteful, quality clothing, jewelry and much more. The shopping highlight of my trip!

Looked at the menus for the Crossings and Palace and couldn't get excited about anything so went to the buffet for dinner. Not great but more variety.

Day 7 - Maui:

DId the ship's Road to Hana. Nice excursion, beautiful scenery. I would not have wanted to drive this myself. The van makes several stops. One is at a stand that sells warm, fresh banana bread. Try it! I wish I had some now.

Dinner again at the buffet. The menus in the other restaurants were unappealing.

No response to tub and shower problem. Now refrigerator wasn't working but decided it wasn't worth trying to get it fixed.

Day 8 - Maui:

Did the Pony Express 4-hour horseback ride (not with the ship). Rented a car and drove to the summit (10,000 feet) of a huge, dormant volcano. Rode down to the crater floor, hand lunch and came back. Spectacular scenery. My husband said he liked it even with or maybe even better than the Helicopter ride in Kauai.

Ate at the Crossings. No wait. The server was the best one yet. Food was only OK.

Still no one fixed anything.

Day 9 - Honolulu:

We were eligible for VIP disembarkation but I just didn't trust the concierge to get our bags to us in a timely matter so we walked them off the ship ourselves at 7:20. There was no line and this proved to be a great decision.

Rented a car and went to Aloha Stadium Swap meet. What fun! Millions of vendors, many with the same merchandise sold in upscale places at less than half the price.

Went to the Dolphin Quest at one of the hotels near Waikiki (had made reservations months in advance). Got to touch and interact with dolphins in a small group of four. Took pictures. Had a great time. Expensive but worth it!

Then drove to Hanuma Bay and the blowhols, then south on 61 through the lush green mountains. Then the airport.

At the airport we ate dinner at a place called Stinger Ray's. Nothing fancy but my husband remarked - I had to get off the ship to get fresh fish - it was wonderful. I was instantly reminded about what good service was like. Got limes on the first request. Food was tasty and the orders were accurate. What a concept!

On a general note several crew members expressed dissatisfaction of thier jobs and were looking forward to their 5 months being up. Perhaps this led to a short-timer's attitude.

I'm glad I got to see the islands. Getting to unpack only once for a multi-island trip is a huge plus. I wouldn't go on POA again, though. Maybe another cruise line will adopt this itinerary.

Thank you for the review Janesm. We were on the Pride of Aloha Mar.27th sailing. I can see that nothing has changed on board. Reading your review is almost like reading the one I posted to the Cruise Critic Reviews. We usually cruise with Celebrity but went on the POA when ours was cancelled to Hawaii this year do to mechanical problems on the Infinity. As you stated the destination was fantastic.

Regards

George and Sharon

Dear Jane

You must be Jane and Gordon?? - we met at Fairwinds and shared a taxi.We were the English couple on honeymoon.It was great to meet and talk with you

Totally agree with you on Fairwinds - it was one of the highlights of our trip

Sorry your cruise wasn't so great - I think had we paid for a Penthouse and had those problems I would be frustrated too. We had a slightly different experience on the same cruise- will post a review later. I think what it shows is that there is inconsistency in things like service in some areas on the POA.

Glad your shopping was good!!

Sarah:)

I recognized you from your post, too! I didn't realize you were on your honeymoon. Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed your trip and have many wonderful memories. It was very nice meeting you and Danny in Kona.

Jane

Archived