Carnival vacation protection Vs travel insurance

Emberton24

My wife and I are looking to book a the Liberty for Aug 29th, of 2015. We are going to get so sort of insurance. Was wondering if anyone as any good suggestions or ideas about insurances they would be greatly appreciated. We have been on two prior cruise but went through AAA, and purchased Travel insurance through them. This time we had a PVP call us and we are planning on booking with the PVP and just wondering what the best option for us is going to be as far as insurance.

Thanks very much,

Jeffrey

We can usually get better coverage for less money than what Carnival offers by going with an outside insurer. Someone also pointed out that in the unlikely case that Carnival went out of business, they wouldn't be there to pay off the insurance claims. If the insurance company goes out of business you would loose your insurance but still likely have your cruise.

We have used the same company for 10 years and they were quick to pay the one time we needed them. You can Google Travel Insurance and look for someone to guard your investment.

We also went with a reputable (also insures our home) insurance company for much less than half the price with more protection than Carnival sells.

Our PVP was very understanding when I told her I wouldn't be purchasing the Carnival - she said she has heard there are much better deals out there.

We can usually get better coverage for less money than what Carnival offers by going with an outside insurer. Someone also pointed out that in the unlikely case that Carnival went out of business, they wouldn't be there to pay off the insurance claims. If the insurance company goes out of business you would loose your insurance but still likely have your cruise.

I always get trip insurance, no exceptions, and find that either TravelGuard or Allianz offer great policies depending on who I am traveling with, cruise or land and the destination.

But you are incorrect that the trip insurance purchased thru the cruiseline is the cruiseline itself that is insuring you. Carnival's policies are administered by a 3rd party company called AON Berkely and are underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Co. They are used by many, many cruiselines.

http://www.berkely.com https://www.travelclaim.com/sites/travelclaim/Pages/home.aspx

For both our previous Europe cruise & our upcoming Alaskan cruise, we found buying through a private ins. co. was a better value than through Carnival.

There are even a few sites that will let you compare 4 or 5 travel ins. companies at one time before purchasing.

I have been checking with Insuremytrip.com. Just having a hard time deciding which one I would want to use. Also when we booked through AAA the past 2 times they go through Allianz. Also checking the BBB report on each of them. Anyone had any bad experiences with and travel insurances just curious?

I have been checking with Insuremytrip.com. Just having a hard time deciding which one I would want to use. Also when we booked through AAA the past 2 times they go through Allianz. Also checking the BBB report on each of them. Anyone had any bad experiences with and travel insurances just curious?

This question would be better covered on the Cruise Insurance board here on Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

I had a good experience with Travel Guard. Cost for 4 people x 2 cabins for an 8-day cruise was around $150 or so. I included 2 days of travel before & 2 days after the cruise.

Unfortunately, I had to make a claim. Travel Guard reimbursed me for everything within a week of submitting it. No problems.

One thing to consider (and it can be buried in fine print) is whether or not a policy you are considering is primary or secondary coverage. With the former, you file with and get paid directly by the travel insurance company. With the latter, you may have to file first with your medical or homeowners (depending on the claim), and then the trip insurance will pay any balance. This is more work for you, and delays your getting reimbursed.

Edit: The above can vary within a company. In other words, company XYZ may offer both a silver and gold policy. Silver might be secondary coverage, and gold primary.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I got insurance for medical and evacuation. 1,000,000 medical for each my wife and me, with 500,000 for evacuation. for about 30 bucks.

I can deal with losing the money for not going, but the medical expenses if my SUPER clumsy wife gets hurt... (she needed surgery for falling down a rabbit hole in the backyard 2 years ago)

I'll always get the medical insurance that includes getting us home from wherever we go.