Price drop question

LTFRFD

Ok just need some clarification. I'm cruising on the sunshine on 9/13/14. I originally booked this cruise well over a year ago under the early saver through a TA. I check constantly for drops in price and had an early drop and saved like $50.00. My TA stated when I got the drop he rebooked me under that current sale but stated since I originally booked under early saver I would still qualify for price drops if they occurred. Is this true ??

Second I am now fully paid for the cruise and I checked today and saw two sales ( super saver and past guest ) the rates are crazy cheap , between 300 to 500 in savings. Question would I still be able to get at least an OBC for the price difference through my TA. He also tells me carnival will not respond to see him since we are past final payment. He states I will just have to wait and see when I get on the ship. Is this true ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

if you still have early saver you can get price drops up until a few days before sail away or right up to sail away can't remember and since your paid in full it would be OBC so tell your TA to do their job and never book with that one again

Are either of those guarantee rates? ES doesn't match to guarantee rates.

Also, you'd need to be eligible for the new rates.

If not, then your TA is feeding you a line. Carnival will change up to two days before sail date. Carnival will email their response or the TA can call it in.

Two reasons why the TA might not want to put in for the rate change---the commissionable fare portion is what's effected by rate drops. So their commission is lowered Not many like to work when they know they're going to loose money or they're lazy.

Some TAs charge for any and all changes.

If you wait til your onboard it will be too late.

Are either of those guarantee rates? ES doesn't match to guarantee rates.

Also, you'd need to be eligible for the new rates.

If not, then your TA is feeding you a line. Carnival will change up to two days before sail date. Carnival will email their response or the TA can call it in.

Two reasons why the TA might not want to put in for the rate change---the commissionable fare portion is what's effected by rate drops. So their commission is lowered Not many like to work when they know they're going to loose money or they're lazy.

Some TAs charge for any and all changes.

If you wait til your onboard it will be too late.

What do you mean by guarantee rates ? I already got one price drop way back. Only 50 bucks but hey it's money. Now he said he will submit the form but carnival will more than likely not respond to him because they will lose more money. I think he's trying to pull a fast one on me !!

If the super save or past guest rates are a guarantee rate then, no. Do a mock booking or check fare saver and see if either of these allow you to pick your cabin, if so you are definitely entitled to the rate drop. If you have paid in full you will get OBC, if not then they will lower your balance due. Early saver is great as you can price match (except guarantees) up til 2 days before you sail. If your TA will not do this go above their heads to the manager. Then book your next cruise directly with Carnival, it is so much easier when you do not have a middleman.

What do you mean by guarantee rates ? I already got one price drop way back. Only 50 bucks but hey it's money. Now he said he will submit the form but carnival will more than likely not respond to him because they will lose more money. I think he's trying to pull a fast one on me !!

I would be looking for a new TA or booking directly with the cruise line next time. Wouldn't be afraid to let this TA know that either.

If he's saying Carnival won't respond, that means he isn't going to submit the form. By saying you'll find out onboard, he is waiting for you to forget about it or shut up.

Your next question was for a guaranteed rate. If you do not get to choose your stateroom, you have a guaranteed stateroom and cannot price match. If you're eligible for a past guest rate, you can match to that up until two days prior to sailing, as you choose your stateroom.

In the end, your travel agent does not want to submit the form. This isn't because Carnival loses money, but because he, personally, doesn't want to lose part of his paycheck by assisting you. Carnival assumes this risk by gambling with the early saver promotion and most likely makes up for it based on those who need to cancel or make changes.

My suggestion is to call the travel agent and tell him to do his job. At the same time, request to speak to his supervisor and let the supervisor know about this situation. Carnival offers a pretty fast response time when it comes to price drops. The next route to go through is to call Carnival, let them know that the travel agent is not doing their job and not providing what you are entitled to and also to request the booking to be transferred back to them.

Edited by Disconnections

I am booked early saver in a sold out category (6k). I thought what the heck, and submitted a price match form online for the Past Guest Sale. It didn't match the $530 price drop shown on Fare Viewer, but it did drop my price by $200! :) And I received approval in about an hour. It never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

your ta can easily just call carnival and get it done I had a 120.00 price drop yesterday and called my ta and 10minutes later my ta called and said it was done and I had new invoice in 15 minutes he don't want to do it cause it takes his commission away

Your TA is full of it.

A guarantee rate is a rate where Carnival picks your room - you cannot price match to that. I'm not sure whether Super Saver rates are guarantees, but you can figure that out easily by doing a mock booking and seeing if it prompts you to pick a room. If you are a past guest, then you are eligible for the Past Guest rate, again, as long as you are being allowed to choose your room. I've seen a few recently where you could choose to let Carnival pick.

The easiest place to check your rate is here: http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

Your category number and letter must match.

If the super save or past guest rates are a guarantee rate then, no. Do a mock booking or check fare saver and see if either of these allow you to pick your cabin, if so you are definitely entitled to the rate drop. If you have paid in full you will get OBC, if not then they will lower your balance due. Early saver is great as you can price match (except guarantees) up til 2 days before you sail. If your TA will not do this go above their heads to the manager. Then book your next cruise directly with Carnival, it is so much easier when you do not have a middleman.

Super Saver rates are for guarantee cabins, and you cannot get a price drop from it when booked Early Saver.

http://www.carnival.com/legal/specials-terms-conditions.aspx

Well persistence has paid off with my TA. Received a 390 OBC on our September cruise and I'm so happy. Thank you to all who replied. I will never use a TA from now on and just handle this myself. Thanks again

Well persistence has paid off with my TA. Received a 390 OBC on our September cruise and I'm so happy. Thank you to all who replied. I will never use a TA from now on and just handle this myself. Thanks again

Awesome OBC!!! I'm glad everything worked out, and your were able to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

SMH again. Found another price drop for another 100 buck which would bring me to 490 from 390 in OBC. Contacted my TA and he told me I can't get price drops anymore after I received the last one. Beyond frustrated now and just sent an email to his company to make them aware of this issue we are having. Wish me luck, praying for this extra hundred bucks !!!

SMH again. Found another price drop for another 100 buck which would bring me to 490 from 390 in OBC. Contacted my TA and he told me I can't get price drops anymore after I received the last one. Beyond frustrated now and just sent an email to his company to make them aware of this issue we are having. Wish me luck, praying for this extra hundred bucks !!!

You have a wonderful travel agent.

Email the TA you're working with and cc the company and Carnival (customerservice@carnival.com) with a copy of the ES rules stating you get price drops until 2 days before sailing, and include a copy of the rate you're dropping to so that they can't deny you've found a lower rate. Tell them if they don't honor your request, you're removing them as a TA, and then do it if they don't comply.

Email the TA you're working with and cc the company and Carnival (customerservice@carnival.com) with a copy of the ES rules stating you get price drops until 2 days before sailing, and include a copy of the rate you're dropping to so that they can't deny you've found a lower rate. Tell them if they don't honor your request, you're removing them as a TA, and then do it if they don't comply.

This! Alternatively, tell him you know the early saver rate includes ALL price drops (for which you are otherwise eligible) up to 2 days before sailing, and that you want a three way phone call with Carnival.

He isn't motivated here because Carnival bases his commission on the final price, so he winds up doing more work and gets less money. But that is is his problem because he knew how it worked when he booked you under early saver.

This is one reason I wish we could name agents on here!

I am booked early saver in a sold out category (6k). I thought what the heck, and submitted a price match form online for the Past Guest Sale. It didn't match the $530 price drop shown on Fare Viewer, but it did drop my price by $200! :) And I received approval in about an hour. It never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How do you receive a price drop on a sold out category? :confused:

How do you receive a price drop on a sold out category? :confused:

You don't. All you can do is look at higher categories and wait for them to drop in price. You can also keep checking back in case someone in your category changes their cabin.

Also, I don't mean to be a PITA, but you can match to guarantee rates as long as:

1) It's not Super Saver or Pack and Go (Past Guest Sale, See the View Feel the View, and 3 day sales usually qualify)

2) You are willing to give up your cabin for the GTY pool.

We price dropped into the GTY pool on a GTY sale last week and with the Past Guest GTY rate got another price drop, that they honored. At the same time (we didn't see it until later that day) the Past Guest pick your cabin brought the balconies down substantially ($200pp), so we forfeited some of our OBC and picked our own cabins. FWIW--this was not luck, we've been playing the ES game for almost six years. We're still Early Saver even after all of the changes. We started in 4Js and have worked our way up to 8Cs and it's only cost us $20.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

Help...is she right??

I booked my cruise last November through a travel agent under the past guest rate...I picked my own balcony...I am now paid in full...am I entitled to any price adjustments/OBC? My travel agent says no...I have asked her a few times and she keeps telling me my cruise is now up in price...I have read so many reviews of people getting some kind of OBC...guess I just don't see what the advantage of booking so early is...from what I can see the price has dropped but she told me the online prices are misleading...I have learned not to book with a travel agent...live and learn!!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Help...is she right??

I booked my cruise last November through a travel agent under the past guest rate...I picked my own balcony...I am now paid in full...am I entitled to any price adjustments/OBC? My travel agent says no...I have asked her a few times and she keeps telling me my cruise is now up in price...I have read so many reviews of people getting some kind of OBC...guess I just don't see what the advantage of booking so early is...from what I can see the price has dropped but she told me the online prices are misleading...I have learned not to book with a travel agent...live and learn!!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are paid in full, so does that mean final payment date has passed?

If so you are not entitled to price drops since you booked with a past guest rate.

The best you can do is upgrade your cabin depending on how much the price has dropped.

You need to have booked with the early saver rate which is available up until 5 months before sail date on cruises of 6 days or longer and 3 months for shorter cruises.

In the future you can book early saver even if the past guest rate is cheaper, and then call and have the price matched to the past guest rate.

This is all much easier if you book with a PVP or book directly online and skip the TA.

Just be aware that by booking early saver there is a $50pp administrative fee if you cancel or change ships, and the balance of your deposit is held by Carnival for up to 2 years to be applied to a future cruise.

You also cannot downgrade your cabin with ES but you can upgrade.

Bill

Thank you for your response Bill :)

Yes the final pay date has passed...I'm outta luck! Next time I book directly with Carnival!

32 days til I cruise can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums